Why do DVR download recordings expire?

DavoM97

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Southwest Florida
Yesterday I was trying to record (not download) all of the season 2 episodes for Yellowstone in anticipation of the beginning of season 3. It's the rainy season here in SW Florida so two episodes didn't record due to the afternoon thunderstorms. I was pleasantly surprised that these episodes were available for download and I downloaded them yesterday. I even got them in 4K. This morning, the downloaded episodes are gone; however, they are available to be downloaded again, so I grabbed them again (not in 4K this time). To be clear, these episodes are not available under "Other Showings" which means they're not scheduled to be broadcast on the Paramount Network channel (241). That would easily solve my issue.

I've noticed on my HR54, there is no mention of an expiration date yet the "Last Chance" triangle is beside these episodes, but I noticed when using my HR24, those episodes do mention an expiration date of 6/24. Just now, I went through and changed the "Keep" status for these episodes to "Keep until I delete." I didn't do that yesterday, but I'm not sure it will make a difference.

So here's my question: Does DirecTV do this with every download? If not, what's their criteria? The Paramount Network is in my package, so I'm paying for the channel that they originate from. These are not DirecTV Cinema purchases. I just find it odd that something that was available to record yesterday which can also be downloaded today can't last more than 3 days.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can give.

I dont have a detailed answer but ondemand content has a limited time frame . Time frame is dependent on the content owner (paramount, nbc universal , Viacom etc) .

When you "download " the program it's similar to viewing ondemand from a wired tv provider (fios uverse etc)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yesterday I was trying to record (not download) all of the season 2 episodes for Yellowstone in anticipation of the beginning of season 3. It's the rainy season here in SW Florida so two episodes didn't record due to the afternoon thunderstorms. I was pleasantly surprised that these episodes were available for download and I downloaded them yesterday. I even got them in 4K. This morning, the downloaded episodes are gone; however, they are available to be downloaded again, so I grabbed them again (not in 4K this time). To be clear, these episodes are not available under "Other Showings" which means they're not scheduled to be broadcast on the Paramount Network channel (241). That would easily solve my issue.

I've noticed on my HR54, there is no mention of an expiration date yet the "Last Chance" triangle is beside these episodes, but I noticed when using my HR24, those episodes do mention an expiration date of 6/24. Just now, I went through and changed the "Keep" status for these episodes to "Keep until I delete." I didn't do that yesterday, but I'm not sure it will make a difference.

So here's my question: Does DirecTV do this with every download? If not, what's their criteria? The Paramount Network is in my package, so I'm paying for the channel that they originate from. These are not DirecTV Cinema purchases. I just find it odd that something that was available to record yesterday which can also be downloaded today can't last more than 3 days.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can give.
You found Yellowstone in 4k ?
Good catch.

Can you not find Yellowstone on any of the Streaming services, this way you'd have all the episodes.
I haven't looked, but have a family member wanting to watch it.

and that is why I have a capture device to record stuff I want to keep onto my computer (in HD).

hdpvr_unit-front-l.png

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Reactions: Jimbo
You found Yellowstone in 4k ?
Good catch.

Can you not find Yellowstone on any of the Streaming services, this way you'd have all the episodes.
I haven't looked, but have a family member wanting to watch it.

I was surprised too. When I was trying to rerecord those episodes that the heavy rainstorm messed up, I went to "other showings" and no broadcast options on channel 241 were available, but they were available on 1241 for HD download and 1104 for the 4K download. The 4K versions were gorgeous, but their availability for download has now disappeared too.

In terms of streaming services, yes most streaming services have the Yellowstone episodes for rent or purchase, but I want to keep them on my DirecTV DVR that I'm already paying for, hence my original post. And I get what's happening: My method of consuming entertainment is not where things have been trending the past few years. I'm a relic and the way my 16 yr old consumes entertainment is very different than my way.

Oh well, I have downloaded again the episodes I previously mentioned and they are set to expire this afternoon. I've marked them as "Keep Until I Delete," so we'll see if that makes any difference.

Well, as expected, the Yellowstone episodes I downloaded earlier were deleted. So tagging the "Keep Until I Delete" designation does nothing. Also now, the only episode available for download is Episode 1 of Season 3 and that's in HD. Nothing is available to download in 4K.

This inconsistency and randomness is the "odd" part that prompted my original post. So my conclusion is AT&T has no rhyme or reason to their approach that they are willing to share. :)

Thanks to each of you for your input on this thread.

Reactions: AZ.
Well, as expected, the Yellowstone episodes I downloaded earlier were deleted. So tagging the "Keep Until I Delete" designation does nothing. Also now, the only episode available for download is Episode 1 of Season 3 and that's in HD. Nothing is available to download in 4K.

This inconsistency and randomness is the "odd" part that prompted my original post. So my conclusion is AT&T has no rhyme or reason to their approach that they are willing to share. :)

It could be a caveat imposed by the owner of the media.

The Directv On Demand has never been anything you can count on ...
If you want to see a Season of something, you'll find maybe 5 episodes ...

I've always recommended people to use something like Netflix or another streaming service over the D* OD.

At the end of Yellowstone there is a advertisment that states "catch up on demand"... How when they're not available on demand?!

Ch 1104 has Yellowstone in 4K under "free tv"

(I know old thread, my bad )

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts