Why does Direct make you pay up front for a receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maverick22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Dallas, TX
I disconnected a few months ago because I wanted to save some money.

I thought about re-connecting, but the rep I recently spoke to said I would have to pay up front for the receiver(s) that I wanted. I chuckled, said no thanks, and hung up the phone.

I was always on time with my payments (auto pay). Why would they have someone pay up front who was trying to re-connect. We did have a time(when our daughter was born) when we were going to cancel, but they cut our bill in half, so we stayed. Do you all think they look at that negatively now?

Only new customers get the "free receiver" deal, and you are not a new customer...

Only new customers get the "free receiver" deal, and you are not a new customer...

Incorrect. We've been with DirecTV for over 10 years and we upgraded to an HR44 Genie for free.

I'd recommend the OP call back a time or two, or online chat with an agent. This would at least prove whether there's any room to move on your account.

You misunderstand me. The OP WAS a customer and then cancelled. Now he is in the worst situation. He won't get a free upgrade because he has nothing to upgrade. And he won't get the new customer deals either, until he's been a non-customer for two (?) years.

You are correct he might get a better deal by playing "CSR roulette" but he doesn't have much leverage.

Reactions: HIFI
And he won't get the new customer deals either, until he's been a non-customer for two (?) years.

There is virtually nothing universal about what you can and can't get from Directv. What I quoted is simply NOT true as I not only got a new customer deal signing back up 2 months later via a third party and the gift card, they also sent "get you back" emails offering the same exact thing to me on the cancelled account. Still do in fact.

Reactions: ejb1980
They have become a bit tighter on these deals recently, to stop people cancelling the service and then trying to sign up a few months later as a new customer. If they contact you, that's OK, because they have decided you are the kind of customer they want back...

try it in your wifes name

We tried that, as even suggested by a DTV rep over the phone a few months ago. We went inside Costco to order it in my wife's name (different last name). The tech came out, couldn't activate receivers, called the problem in, and they wanted to speak to my wife. My wife was honest and said we are still married.

They told her you will have to have your husband call to re-connect. That's where we stand.

I spoke to a nice rep over the phone who actually has been most helpful so far. He actually seemed like he wanted me to come back. He said he had to email the IT Dept (?), and they will get back to me in a few days. He said he can tell I've been a great customer. I'm not expecting much, but I appreciate his efforts!

Which comes back to the question, why do they charge you for the receiver? You are renting it so why so much up front? If I paid them upfront and they didn't charge the fees associated with it, I could understand it, but they don't. The only answer I can think of is, because they can...

Which comes back to the question, why do they charge you for the receiver? You are renting it so why so much up front? If I paid them upfront and they didn't charge the fees associated with it, I could understand it, but they don't. The only answer I can think of is, because they can...

So you are saying even if I decided to pay $299 upfront for the Genie (which I will not do), they will STILL charge me monthly fees associated with it? Wow

I was just wondering if I paid the $299, do they still make you pay monthly "lease payments" for the equipment or something like that? Not service fees as a member mentioned above, but actual equipment fees on top of that $299.

Who is the IT Department exactly anyways? Wonder if they'll be much help.

I was just wondering if I paid the $299, do they still make you pay monthly "lease payments" for the equipment or something like that? Not service fees as a member mentioned above, but actual equipment fees on top of that $299.

Who is the IT Department exactly anyways? Wonder if they'll be much help.
Yes they will.... the 299 is not to buy the ird... it is an upgrade fee to step up to the genie from a basic hd box basically.

You will absolutely pay 6/month for it plus either 15/25/23 monthly depending on when your account was closed.

From how you have described your calls they are re activating you retroactively. The good news is you may get the primary ird fee waived like ppl did last year and back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)