Why does Dish search my external hard drive?

YoMommasMan

Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
No. VA
I have noticed on many occasions while Dish performs their daily updates they also interrogate my external hard drive that I attached to my Hopper/Sling. Does anyone know why this happens?

I am not sure, but I think some content was removed.

Anyone else?

Nope, nothing wrong with it checking the whole system over which includes a EHD if it is plugged in. They are not spying on you no worse than they already were as in if you have a phone line or internet connected to it you are telling them everything about what your viewing habits are so get used to it.

I think you are observing an fsck on that external disk. Dish has no need to search what's there because they already know what's there, as evidenced by DishAnywhere. No, wait... You have a Hopper. Maybe they know, and maybe they don't. But on my 722 I can play stuff on my EHD via DishAnywhere, so obviously they know what's on mine.

Like just making sure everything has the right tag codes for your reciever and account to continue to play. Similar to an integrity check.

Using it to determine what and when you watch so they can personalize advertising to you. And sell the information.
Good reason not to be connected.

I think you are observing an fsck on that external disk. Dish has no need to search what's there because they already know what's there, as evidenced by DishAnywhere. No, wait... You have a Hopper. Maybe they know, and maybe they don't. But on my 722 I can play stuff on my EHD via DishAnywhere, so obviously they know what's on mine.

I doubt it is a fsck, unless Dish has moved away from xfs filesystems for some reason. There is no reason to fsck an xfs volume on a regular basis.

I doubt it is a fsck, unless Dish has moved away from xfs filesystems for some reason. There is no reason to fsck an xfs volume on a regular basis.
I think the folks who have copied/backed up EHDs have said it was ext2 or3.

Whatever the file system, for what an EHD does, there is precious little need to fsck daily. The EHD only has one write operation going on at a time - how corrupted can it get?

Whatever the logic, I do believe most of the activity is an fsck. "Searching" would be an really quick process.

A really, really full EHD would only have a thousand or so shows on it. How long can it take to read the directory, and the associated metadata for 1000 entries? I do believe this happens part happens though, as it appears the EHD contents are cached on the internal drive. Ever done a search and seen EHD contents included in the results? There is no delay for the EHDs to spin up during the search, the EHD directory and metadata have to be duplicated in some form of db on the internal drive or memory.

Yup, that's correct; it's formatted ext3. I am personally sound asleep at 3AM so this does not bother me, whatever it's doing.

Yup, that's correct; it's formatted ext3. I am personally sound asleep at 3AM so this does not bother me, whatever it's doing.

I'm assuming they use journaling as well. If not, why not?

Most of my Linux boxes are set (by default to values like 180/days or X numbers of reboots depending on the size.

With journaling, it is harder to get a file system corruption than without.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Even without journaling, the odds would be pretty slim they would need it daily.

I think it has gotten better with recent updates. I haven't opened the doors on my cabinet to see drive activity, but the few times I've been around during the reboot I have TV back with a couple minutes. For a long time it was routinely a 30-45 minute process each night. They have either cut down the frequency or moved it into a background process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)