Why Does My Channels Say unknown 19.2E

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blue Crystal

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sometimes, when on 99w and I am checking the signal strength of my transponders they show up as "found unknown Sat 19.2E" and the others show as 99w.
Could it be that I'm opposite of that sat or just some sort of glitch? This happens almost each time I use it.

Using a 10ft dish , BSC621-2 Universal LNBF, and CaptiveWorks Receiver.

Sometimes, when on 99w and I am checking the signal strength of my transponders they show up as "found unknown Sat 19.2E" and the others show as 99w.
Could it be that I'm opposite of that sat or just some sort of glitch? This happens almost each time I use it.

Using a 10ft dish , BSC621-2 Universal LNBF, and CaptiveWorks Receiver.

Hmm, that's kind of a new one on me, Blue.

When I have dialed in to a TP that doesn't provide a name for themselves, I usually get an indication or message of "Unknown" provider or something like that. I am going to assume that it is the same thing, but I don't quite understand why you are seeing the message "found unknown Sat 19.2E". That is a little weird even for me.

What model of CW receiver is this?

RADAR

I'm in Florida and get only west sats from my long and lat location.
The receiver I use is CW 800S.

It's very strange. I discovered it when I set up my unit for a scan. I just was switching through the transponders, to check if I was on the sat and to see the strength.
This happens on the Ku side.
When I am on again I think I will right down the freq of the transponders and then look at 19.2E on Lyngsat and see if any comparison.

Its the Captiveworks reciever

In the right hand corner when you are in dish setup if the reciever thinks what satellite you're on, it will show that in the corner. Usually its wrong :)

The ones I know that were right are Globecast, When Equity was around, and a couple others.

This one would probably be gremlins......or there is a TP on 19.2E (which is a big satellite in Europe) that it matches

I havent had a CW receiver in a while but I remember seeing oddball things in the right corner when it locked on a transponder

I usually ignored them :)

Most Satellite broadcast a NIT (network info table) which gives the sat ID to Spectrum analysers.
I have noticed 19.2 appears on a number of SES birds that have been moved to different positions, so the NIT does not always get updated.
Having said that 99w is a Panam sat owned by Hughes electronics but I don't know its history other than it was only launched in 2006.

Because a lot of uplinkers are lazy and leave their encoder info fields at their defaults rather than changing them to describe some of the things about the signal they are uplinking.

that's a big reason why I don't buy into the fact some sat meters have auto sat ID - the NIT info is wrong in a lot of signals.

I havent had a CW receiver in a while but I remember seeing oddball things in the right corner when it locked on a transponder

I usually ignored them :)

Agree: when I had a viewsat it would do the same thing sometimes. Maybe those two brands had some of the same components and thus the same glitches.

Most Satellite broadcast a NIT (network info table) which gives the sat ID to Spectrum analysers.
I have noticed 19.2 appears on a number of SES birds that have been moved to different positions, so the NIT does not always get updated.
Having said that 99w is a Panam sat owned by Hughes electronics but I don't know its history other than it was only launched in 2006.

I agree that this is being caused by the NIT, but I don't think it has anything to do with it being "SES birds" being moved or something, just that several uplinkers on MANY sats have incorrect info in the NIT. I too have seen that 19.2 or something close to that on several different transponders on several sats. I've also seen 0.0
on several transponders. For example, The Ohio news on Horizon 2 (74) also has 19.2W in the NIT. The SCETV on T14 has 0.0. But I'd bet that if the OP would tune in ONN on 74, that it would also show up as 19.2. But it also might not show up if the NIT has a network name, and ONN has the name MPEG-2 Encoder, so it might be that the 19.2 only shows up if there is no name entered.
I can understand the 0.0, ie probably they just forgot to enter a value, but it is kind of curious that a LOT of different transponders end up with 19.2. I think I used to see that on several of th G10 transponders, plus several other places. Makes me think that some hardware that these people are using comes pre-programmed with an example or something and they didn't change the value.

I think you are probably right BJ as none of the birds you mention are SES Astra sats. I used to get 19.2 appear on Astra 1D 31 east, Astra 1C 5 east and Astra 1l 23.5 east and of course all of those birds were originally at 19.2
Perhaps it is some NIT shareware :D

I looked at a dozen or so transponders on the 99.0 sat this morning, and found one or two transponders with 19.2W (not east), one with 12.0W, some with the right 99.0, and several that didn't have any NIT at all.
Re the talk above about different receivers saying different things, yeah, it seems like some receivers don't bother trying to identify what transponder or sat they are on, some seem to use SDT info, some seem to use NIT data, some use whatever it can find.
My first couple receivers didn't do any of this stuff, but more recent receivers seem to try to identify what they are tuned to. Usually it is either wrong or has meaningless info, but sometimes it gets it right. Particularly the Dishnet sats seem to have good NIT info, so whenever I tune to a DN sat, or even when I'm moving the dish across the arc, I'll sometimes see all the DN sats pop up as I'm moving the dish, provided that I have one of their transponders set up. Like if I'm way out at 127 or something, and tell the dish to go to say Echo3, the receiver will tell me as I pass 119, 110, 91, 82, and 77, which is kind of neat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)