Why doesn't Dish Anywhere work with Microsoft Edge?

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
Does anyone know why Dish Anywhere does not work with Edge?

I thought Edge was Chromium based, so why doesn't it work? Is it because Edge is not compatible, or is it just that Dish has committed to Android, so they don't want it to work with Edge. When the Edge browser was first released, Dish Anywhere worked OK with it.

Does anyone know why Dish Anywhere does not work with Edge?

I thought Edge was Chromium based, so why doesn't it work? Is it because Edge is not compatible, or is it just that Dish has committed to Android, so they don't want it to work with Edge. When the Edge browser was first released, Dish Anywhere worked OK with it.
I have Windows 11 and I have a lot of compatibility issues with Edge. Dish Anywhere is one of them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I used Edge last week to remote in to my Hoper and watch a show from Dallas area, but today it tells me my browser is not compatible. Chrome still works but Edge seems to have a problem. Running Windows 10 21H2.

The latest version of Microsoft Edge is Chromium-based, but I have a theory. With a background in computers, and having tried a few hundred Web sites, I think that Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge allocate and/or manage memory very differently.

I think Edge takes a conservative approach, while Chrome just gobbles up as much memory as it wants. And I think that's why DISH Anywhere (DA) works in Chrome: it assumes it can use memory willy-nilly. DA would have to be tailored and tested with Edge to use a less hungry memory approach.

In my testing, other Chromium-based browsers like Brave and DuckDuckGo don't work with DA either. For now, it's Chrome or nothing.

BTW, Chrome has updated itself on my Windows 10 computer twice today, and DA is not working with these new versions. I can login, but then it never prompts me to choose a profile, or if I can, it never responds to any menu choice, like Guide or DVR. Of course, I'm only willing to wait 2 minutes after I click a button to get a response. Maybe it's only v-e-r-y s-l-o-w.

OK, that last Chrome update to version 106.0.5249.62 did something for DA. It's still slow, but at least now I can display the Guide. ooo, ooo, I can even stream a channel now. I guess it's "fixed". I hate being a beta tester for updates.

I'm not saying that DA never works on Microsoft Edge at all, only that it does not work reliably. I might get one DA program to play in Edge, but then the next one won't. Or a program will play one day and not the next. I'd rather have total failure than unpredictable, intermittent success. So I install Google Chrome on each of my devices solely to use DISH Anywhere.

OK, that last Chrome update to version 106.0.5249.62 did something for DA. It's still slow, but at least now I can display the Guide. ooo, ooo, I can even stream a channel now. I guess it's "fixed". I hate being a beta tester for updates.
Confirmed: This new version of Chrome is using 200-300MB more memory than the previous versions did, when streaming one live channel in DISH Anywhere.

Confirmed: This new version of Chrome is using 200-300MB more memory than the previous versions did, when streaming one live channel in DISH Anywhere.
Not the top reason but one of the reasons why I refuse to use Chrome and I'm a Linux user. I won't use Windows either, but I do use Edge as my primary browser

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)