Why I love (and am now staying with) DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leier911

Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
MN
OK, so I have the choice extra or whatever plan with an old dvr and have been a customer for 10 years. I wanted to save money but since my tv broke I got a new 50 in. plasma tv, and want the HD, etc. However, talking with Directv they wanted a discounted 99 bucks for the HD-DVR plus they did not have a decent package I wanted, so I started looking at DISH because of their Free HD DVR, plus their America 120 pack and free everything. It would cost 40.99 with Dish that pack, plus HD, plus DVR.

Directv was 60+ dollars plus the 99 fee for the HD DVR, etc. SO I called last night to cancel and go with Dish but I happend to get a very nice "JOE" at Directv. When I told him my situation and we talked for 50 min. he ended up saying he did not want to lose me to Dish and said here, we'll give you the SELECT program, (which I knew about from here) 120 channels and match their 24.99 price, we will give you the HD DVR for FREE, but we'll go one step further, we'll waive the 10 HD fee as well for the first year. So instead of cancelling and going with Dish for the NEW customer discount of 40.99, I am with Directv have the SELECT package, have a new HD DVR, free install, free everything and free HD for the year and will pay 36.99! Plus Starz and Showtime for 6 months. Not bad! Thanks JOE!

For anyone that doesn't know the Select package is only available from retention, I thought it cost around $35/mo, not $25, but perhaps they gave him another discount.

It takes some of the channels out of Choice, such as Food, animal planet, and many others. I think it also drops your regional sports network, but could be wrong on that.

Its $39.99, I had it for a brief period. And they will give more discounts on it, I got $10 Off for one year. So I paid $29.99.
But I couldn't handle the Lame line up,(Top 120 is better) so I switched to Choice pack, So I'm basiclly getting Choice for $48.99. Not bad.

OK, so I have the choice extra or whatever plan with an old dvr and have been a customer for 10 years. I wanted to save money but since my tv broke I got a new 50 in. plasma tv, and want the HD, etc. However, talking with Directv they wanted a discounted 99 bucks for the HD-DVR plus they did not have a decent package I wanted, so I started looking at DISH because of their Free HD DVR, plus their America 120 pack and free everything. It would cost 40.99 with Dish that pack, plus HD, plus DVR.

Directv was 60+ dollars plus the 99 fee for the HD DVR, etc. SO I called last night to cancel and go with Dish but I happend to get a very nice "JOE" at Directv. When I told him my situation and we talked for 50 min. he ended up saying he did not want to lose me to Dish and said here, we'll give you the SELECT program, (which I knew about from here) 120 channels and match their 24.99 price, we will give you the HD DVR for FREE, but we'll go one step further, we'll waive the 10 HD fee as well for the first year. So instead of cancelling and going with Dish for the NEW customer discount of 40.99, I am with Directv have the SELECT package, have a new HD DVR, free install, free everything and free HD for the year and will pay 36.99! Plus Starz and Showtime for 6 months. Not bad! Thanks JOE!

HEY! Thanks for lowering your proportional share of programming costs that will no doubt fall on the backs of the rest of us. Way to go!!!

HEY! Thanks for lowering your proportional share of programming costs that will no doubt fall on the backs of the rest of us. Way to go!!!
Can you honestly say that you have never tried to bargain for a better deal? You pay the exact sticker price on a car? You pay the exact price listed for a new TV?

Can you honestly say that you have never tried to bargain for a better deal? You pay the exact sticker price on a car? You pay the exact price listed for a new TV?

We're talking about TV programing, not a car. And no on the TV.

Twice now? Dude STFU already

It won't be the last. Sick of these threads about how someone got a deal which inevitably increases costs to the rest of us because once a thread gets posted like this there's probably a couple thousand other people trying to get the same deal. Pay the fee or as you say.... STFU. The rest of us are sick of price increases. Furthermore, if you can post all day on here about how you got a deal then why don't the rest of us have the right to complain about how your actions increase the cost to the rest of us? Two way street.... Dude.

Last edited:
We're talking about TV programing, not a car. And no on the TV.
What's the difference? In a free market a seller and buyer agree to terms, often negotiated, even when the price is marked. That is the way a capitalism work. I have negotiated with my ISP, with my cell phone provider, and even at Best Buy (I got a TV, a navigation system, an entertainment center, and an antenna for much less than the marked price but still over cost). I walked into BB and said to a sales person, I am looking for______________, that has _______________, and I do not want to pay more than ________________. And they say, lets see what we can do for you. Often they meet my terms and sometimes I have to negotiate even further.

The prices for DirecTV are already set and deals can still be negotiated. The seller knows what they can do in order to still maintain a profit. After all isn't it better for someone to get a deal on a package, in which Direct can still make a small profit over two years vs not having that sub at all, in which they would make no profit off of them at all?

The seller knows what they can do in order to still maintain a profit.

What comes out of one bucked has to be refilled from another. That "other bucket" is my wallet. But go ahead and negotiate away. Just don't expect everyone to sit by and watch without commenting.

By the way, everyone can pretty much negotiate over a car and it’s built in price bump, its CSR roulette from what I can tell, so it’s not the same. Not even close.

Last edited:
What comes out of one bucked has to be refilled from another. That "other bucket" is my wallet. But go ahead and negotiate away. Just don't expect everyone to sit by and watch without commenting.
Not always. They may not make as much of a profit off of one person, but they are still profiting. They may even save you money by having more customers. Again, retaining a sub for a small profit is better than losing him and getting no profit.

I have received two free HD DVRs from Direct and deals on several packages over the 8+ years I have been with them. They have made a lot of money off of me. If it wasn't for these great deals I may already be with FiOs. Because of their deals and their ability to negotiate with me, I have saved money, been happy, and stayed with them. And because of this, they have profited greatly off of me.

By the way, everyone can pretty much negotiate over a car and it’s built in price bump, its CSR roulette from what I can tell, so it’s not the same. Not even close.
And one can play dealership roulette and even dealer roulette to get better deals on cars. I have even played one dealership against another showing them offers to see if they can beat it. It is exactly the same. One dealer doesn't give you what you want you see another (I have even done this within the same dealership).

You have still failed to how how each scenario is different. You have offered only your opinion as to why you think it is OK to deal on a car, but not on a TV.

And let me add. I even have less of a problem with people negotiating package prices with a provider over them negotiating purchase price over an actual device. The reason being is that purchased items are a fix inventory. When a store sells someone an item for less, then that same item cannot be sold for more to someone else. Thus, the store ends up make less money (this includes cars). Provider package inventory is not fixed. They can sell a million packages in one day if they wanted to and if demand is there. Selling one package to one person for less does not take away that same item for someone else to purchase for more.

Last edited:
Not always. They may not make as much of a profit off of one person, but they are still profiting. They may even save you money by having more customers. Again, retaining a sub for a small profit is better than losing him and getting no profit.

I have received two free HD DVRs from Direct and deals on several packages over the 8+ years I have been with them. They have made a lot of money off of me. If it wasn't for these great deals I may already be with FiOs. Because of their deals and their ability to negotiate with me, I have saved money, been happy, and stayed with them. And because of this, they have profited greatly off of me.

That pretty much descibes my experience with them as well Dodger. I have negotiated 2 free HRs, deep discounts on ST and MLBEI, and have had discounts on the packages. This is the reason I am with them over the alternatives. I pay less, and they still have made money on me.

I have no problem with people simply asking for what they want. If D* cant do it, they wont.

That said, if people want to comment against this, that is their right as well.

That said, if people want to comment against this, that is their right as well.
Nobody is saying otherwise. He is expressing his opinion, which is fine (I have no problem with that at all). But he is also failing to demonstrate that it actually does increase the price he has to pay. He has yet to show that money is being taken out of his pocket.

Besides, if it does effect his price and DirecTV raises prices too much as a result, then they will lose subs.

Last edited:
It's very simple, we live in a free market economy (for the most part).....anyone is perfectly free to negotiate a price for anything they want to buy. If you don't like it, you can choose not to buy it.

The OP negotiated a price with DirecTV. Does it effect other customers, probably. It certainly effects the bottom line. Skyboss can negotiate his own price as well, or go somewhere else.

Well, now I am off to BB to buy a new router as my router finally took a dump. I will use my barcode scanner app on my phone to see what other stores are offering and see if BB will match it or beat it.

How does this related to DirecTV? I need my router to use the DirecTV2PC software, download VOD, and sling my HR to my PC.

Well, now I am off to BB to buy a new router as my router finally took a dump. I will use my barcode scanner app on my phone to see what other stores are offering and see if BB will match it or beat it.

How does this related to DirecTV? I need my router to use the DirecTV2PC software, download VOD, and sling my HR to my PC.
Just saved $20 at BB by showing them through a barcode scanner app on my phone that two other places sold the same router for $20 less.

Its $39.99, I had it for a brief period. And they will give more discounts on it, I got $10 Off for one year. So I paid $29.99.
But I couldn't handle the Lame line up,(Top 120 is better) so I switched to Choice pack, So I'm basiclly getting Choice for $48.99. Not bad.
:eek: Really it's lame!? Top 120 is better?? Do tell why is it soooooooo much better!?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)