Why I was thinking of leaving DISH

spudmancbr954rr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Just called and bitched some more to DISH. My first call to them was on 8/30. They said they'd send the Roku. I called again on 9/8. They said they'd send one "expedited shipping". Still nothing as of today (9/22). Today I told them I wanted to dump DISH for DirecTV. They offered me free Cinemax and some other movie crap and I told them I wasn't a big movie watcher. So today they took another $5.00 off my bill for the next 6 months and they claim the Roku will be here in 2 to 5 business days but that I should give it until the 2nd week in October. What a crock. And to think I could have had NFL Sunday ticket free for the first year with DirecTV!

So....my bitching has got me (so far):

1/2 price HBO for 6 months
1/2 price Showtime for 6 months
A one-time $35 credit on my bill
$5 off my bill for the next 6 months
A Roku box that never seems to arrive

What more could I want? Oh yeah....AMC was all I ever wanted in the first place.

Good Lord! You got something around $150 off over the next 6 months, which would more than pay for the few shows that AMC has that you'll miss.

Yeah, they should have gotten you the Roku box, but come on, really?

Re: Why I'm leaving DISH

Honestly, if i were that unhappy with my service provider, I would leave. There are other options.

Not saying that to be mean. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I am sorry that you are having a problem with receiving the roku. They are shipped UPS and we can provide you with the tracking number. Please PM me your account or phone number and I will be happy to look that up for you and provide the information. Thank you!

spudmancbr954rr said:
Just called and bitched some more to DISH. My first call to them was on 8/30. They said they'd send the Roku. I called again on 9/8. They said they'd send one "expedited shipping". Still nothing as of today (9/22). Today I told them I wanted to dump DISH for DirecTV. They offered me free Cinemax and some other movie crap and I told them I wasn't a big movie watcher. So today they took another $5.00 off my bill for the next 6 months and they claim the Roku will be here in 2 to 5 business days but that I should give it until the 2nd week in October. What a crock. And to think I could have had NFL Sunday ticket free for the first year with DirecTV!

So....my bitching has got me (so far):

1/2 price HBO for 6 months
1/2 price Showtime for 6 months
A one-time $35 credit on my bill
$5 off my bill for the next 6 months
A Roku box that never seems to arrive

What more could I want? Oh yeah....AMC was all I ever wanted in the first place.

If you aren't a movie watcher then why get the Roku? Also why would you care about AMC it is virtually just another movie channel.

If you aren't a movie watcher then why get the Roku? Also why would you care about AMC it is virtually just another movie channel.
Even though it is ostensibly a movie channel, in reality, it has long since abandoned its classic movie roots, and has become the home of some of the most critically acclaimed and popular original series on cable TV, like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, and Hell on Wheels.

I can't believe you don't know that, especially with all of the posts flying around when they were dropped.

Thanks for that response Gary. I really didn't feel like dumbing myself down in order to explain AMC and the concept of the Roku to boot.

So, if you know about the current AMC programming, why call it a "movie channel" in your response to Spudman?

Because it is a movie channel. The shows you mention only take up maybe five hours of their programming week. Unless you want to count the endless repeats of those shows. It's still basically a movie channel with a few supposedly acclaimed tv shows. Only one I found interesting is Hell on Wheels. That I watch without AMC or Amazon.

This is a situation where what the OP wants, Dish doesn't provide anymore. They could offer him his own $50 bill printing press complete with paper, ink, cutter, and authentication serial numbers. They could offer him free service for the next 10 years. They could offer him a Mercedes made out of gold. He would still be pissed due to no AMC. This is the Me Generation alive and well.

No channel or program is on tv that is so important to me that i'll get my dander up to want to leave my provider. They all eventually come back and if they don't it's certainly is no great loss imho. All providers do this. Dish perhaps more so but things arent' going to change anytime soon until people say i'm not going to pay anymore and just quit their provider and not go to anyone else.

To the original OP, hope you live up to the title of your thread and you leave the Dish Network. Please move on to the Direct TV forum and leave us alone.

When I moved recently I switched to a cable provider because of some problems I was having with Dish switching everything over to my new account. When I called to disconnect the loyalty dept gave me an incredible offer. Switch to cable, and then, if, within 30 days I was not satisfied with cable, switch back to Dish. No charges, and I also received 15 dollars off my bill for the next 2 years with no contract. So that is what I did. Best thing I could have ever done was switch back to Dish. After all, I have been with Dish for a very long time and I feel an actual since of "loyalty" to the company after all the channel drops like the Viacom channels several years ago and my local CBS 2 months ago. But in the end, we got them back. IMHO, Dish offers a much better deal to their customers. Could they improve? Sure.....but no one is perfect. "Whatever floats one's boat."