Why I was thinking of leaving DISH

ronfelder said:
If you aren't a movie watcher then why get the Roku? Also why would you care about AMC it is virtually just another movie channel.

The walking dead isn't on any other movie channel. That is why I care about AMC.

Yes.........with Dish.........everyone should be aware of the possible loss of programming, because it happens a lot. Other providers have disputes, but most are short lived & the programming is restored, but not with Dish

yet, our monthly charges continue to rise............especially the premium channels & the sports package. If you don't watch AMC, Disney, ESPNNews or ABC family then you don't care that these were provided in HD & not they aren't. Those that have kids or enjoy those channels do have a right to complain

Remember watchign Disney in HD before it was dropped. To be honest iwth you it looked no better than the SD version. Not certain but to me looked just like upconverted SD.

Im with you, its not worth paying for HBO anymore... first all the good shows are gone... but even when they have something good I can watch it free since they seem to have a HBO free preview every few months.

That reminds me I should log in and cancel HBO now.
Personally, I think it's the best channel available, and am seriously considering dropping my base package and possibly some other add-ons, in order to keep it and Showtime, the 2nd best channel for quality programming.

The other great thing about an HBO subscription is access to all of their programming through Dish VOD and HBO Go. That's ALL of their programming EVER MADE. Every episode of every series. That is pretty cool. I do wish they'd make HBO Go available as a standalone subscription, though.

GaryPen said:
Personally, I think it's the best channel available, and am seriously considering dropping my base package and possibly some other add-ons, in order to keep it and Showtime, the 2nd best channel for quality programming.

The other great thing about an HBO subscription is access to all of their programming through Dish VOD and HBO Go. That's ALL of their programming EVER MADE. Every episode of every series. That is pretty cool. I do wish they'd make HBO Go available as a standalone subscription, though.

It's close to all, but not all. They still don't have carnivale on there and I wish they did. That being said, the addition of hbo go and increased hbo vod section help to justify the cost. However, with it going up another 2 dollars I think that makes it overpriced. Of course because of game if thrones, the newsroom, and true blood I will be forced to keep it.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

It's close to all, but not all. They still don't have carnivale on there and I wish they did. That being said, the addition of hbo go and increased hbo vod section help to justify the cost. However, with it going up another 2 dollars I think that makes it overpriced. Of course because of game if thrones, the newsroom, and true blood I will be forced to keep it.
Carnivale used to be available on HBO Go. I'm surprised it didn't also make it to VOD. I wouldn't waste my time with it again anyway. I watched it when it was first aired, and gave up an episode or two into the second season. I got tired of questions and mysteries being raised during every episode, without any answers ever being given. It was all take, and no give. So, we refused to go along with such a one-sided relationship. It was beautifully and meticulously made, though.

As for the current three you mention, I refer to the first one as Knights in White Snatches; the second held such promise, but got way too preachy for me (and I'm one of the choir); and the third really bit the shark this season. They lost my wife completely. And, I only held on to the end see if it got any better. I hope they pull it together for next season.

Boardwalk Empire and Treme are top-notch, though. And, again, the VOD selection is just outstanding.

Boardwalk Empire and Treme are top-notch, though. And, again, the VOD selection is just outstanding.
Have you watched Game of Thrones? Outstanding!!! Loved being able to watch two seasons in about a week.

You're saying you can actually FIND stuff? BEFORE your patience wears out, that is?

Yes :) much different layout then the 722 for example, very nice menu tile system, each vod channel has its own tile.

Last edited:
Something to look forward to, if they get OTA and manual timers and maybe a couple of other things out, and I move to H/J.

Although actually, I'm tempted to wait until after the next price increase before making any decisions.

the original programming on networks such as hbo, starz, showtime, fx, amc, etc. blow away any of the crap they show on the broadcast networks. We dont even watch regular tv anymore except for animation domination on fox. I do agree that i am not happy about the $2 increase though

Well...the Roku box finally showed up today. It arrived via Priority Mail with the postal service. I was surprised, as every customer service rep. I spoke to from DISH had told me it would be delivered by UPS. Anyway, I originally called on 8/30 and tomorrow it would have been 4 weeks. I noticed it was sent directly from Roku. I'm not sure if this one was from my original request or the one that was supposedly going to be a "priority shipment" after I called back when I hadn't received the first one in 10 days after being told I'd have it in five. I guess the lesson here is give it plenty of time, no matter what you're told when you first call DISH. You wouldn't think it should need to be that way if there were good communication between Roku and DISH (inventory info, tracking info for the customer, etc.), but that seems to be the way of the world these days. Time to go connect it and give it a try.

Time to go connect it and give it a try.
It's actually a fun little device, way more than just a way to watch AMC. If it had a YouTube channel, it would be a monster. But, I'll bet Google deliberately doesn't make a YouTube channel for Roku to give their own Google TV some kind of perceived advantage. But, even with YT, it still rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)