Why is Dish falling behind with HD content?

bigthrust

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
I have been with Dish for many, many years and have been happy for the most part (I love our VIP622). Every TV in my house is HD compatible with an HD receiver. So, I value all of the HD content I can get. So now, as I see it, DirecTV has surpassed Dish in the amount of quality channels being offered in HD. At first the Voom channels were pretty cool and the picture quality was very good. Voom is now getting old and I find it harder to find anything really new and/or interesting to watch. It is time for Dish to add the popular channels that DirecTV is offering, like SciFi. Why does Dish still think it's the HD leader? Why are they not adding the programing that I think we HD lovers really want? I am not one to jump the fence at the first defeat, but Dish appears to be living in fantasy land and not being competitive anymore. I am not sure how long I can hold out waiting for Dish to get it's act together.

Without being a smart ass. I will say that they choose to do this. Why?? God, I mean Charlie only knows.

If you actually count hours of HD programming (not upconverted SD), Dish might still be the leader.

If you actually count hours of HD programming (not upconverted SD), Dish might still be the leader.

Upconverted SD, should eventually bring real HD. Upconverted SD is a good first step. Dish could at least consider that.

The two satellites that have been delayed by launcher problems will help matters. Dish led D* for years in the # of HD channels. Now people go nuts over a few weeks of the reverse situation? It'll be more even in a few months. They have some space now, but they really need the new sats to expand.

If I say it once more i'll go crazy.. Voom does not make you the HD leader. I realize there are a small gorup of people here who love what they offer. But in reality very few people watch voom at all. For content people care about Dish is far behind.

If I say it once more i'll go crazy.. Voom does not make you the HD leader. I realize there are a small gorup of people here who love what they offer. But in reality very few people watch voom at all. For content people care about Dish is far behind.
That is completely false.

Just because that is a belief you hold, darrencp22, does not mean the majority agrees. You can't document "very few people watch Voom at all." The Voom channels count. Always did. Many of us think sports are a waste of bandwidth, but understand that the majority feels otherwise.

No doubt at least some of the new "HD" channels at D* are of interest to many, and will make it to Dish. But it makes no sense to keep changing providers every time someone gets temporarily ahead. In the long run, offerings will be about the same, or one will go under. Not likely to happen.

Exactly which channel do Direct offer in HD that dish does not offer at this time? SciFi and USA are the 2 that stand out to me but I can not think of any other major channels offered by Direct that Dish does not currently offer so all this hubub over a couple of mediocre HD channels, give me a break. Maybe I am missing something but having sci fi and usa both in hd does not make me consider switching to direct as I will patiently wait as dish and direct will offer the same channels in the long run they will simply package them differently just as they do with their sd content. :confused:

Exactly which channel do Direct offer in HD that dish does not offer at this time? SciFi and USA are the 2 that stand out to me but I can not think of any other major channels offered by Direct that Dish does not currently offer so all this hubub over a couple of mediocre HD channels, give me a break. Maybe I am missing something but having sci fi and usa both in hd does not make me consider switching to direct as I will patiently wait as dish and direct will offer the same channels in the long run they will simply package them differently just as they do with their sd content. :confused:
Several Starz channels come to mind, along with quite a few 24/7 RSNs, FX, CNN, CNBC, Weather Channel, Fox Business Channel, MGM, Smithsonian. There may be others, and its possible E* has added one or two that i am not aware of

Please don't turn this thread into another argument about Voom or a E* vs D* pissing match. The first topic has been beaten to death and the second is why the "War Zone" exists.

NightRyder

Please don't turn this thread into another argument about Voom or a E* vs D* pissing match. The first topic has been beaten to death and the second is why the "War Zone" exists.

NightRyder
Sorry, didnt mean for any post i made to send it that way, just answering a question that was made

Several Starz channels come to mind, along with quite a few 24/7 RSNs, FX, CNN, CNBC, Weather Channel, Fox Business Channel, MGM, Smithsonian. There may be others, and its possible E* has added one or two that i am not aware of

I second this. Starz, is a good example. If I pay for premium channels and pay for HD content, I want ALL of them if they are being broadcast in HD! Dish gives me 1 Starz HD channel when Starz offers more than 1.

The solution is simple. E* subscribers have the same option D* subscribers had when they were behind in HD, switch or wait. E* is not likely to match D* in number of HD channels until later next year when the new satellites launch, so if numbers are important to you or there is a program that you absolutely must have to have in HD, bite the bullet and switch.

For myself, I don't watch channels I watch programs. I only have 4 series I watch that I currently can't see in HD, and only 1 of them is currently showing new episodes, plus I now have almost 100 HD movies archived on my external drives, so I'll wait and see what happens and enjoy the show (or not ;) ).

NightRyder

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)