Why is Dish falling behind with HD content?

Yay here we go again. I have been missing this argument and going through pretty bad withdrawals. Now I have my fix. Thank you everyone.

I couldnt be any more confident that there is a very low demand for Voom. If you can find ratings to the contrary feel free to post them. In fact, I would be shocked if the ratings for all of the voom channels combined are more than a signle HD/Upconvert channel.
You've got it backwards. I don't need to find ratings. You do.

If I were to say that there is a ghost right behind you, would you then need to prove there isn't?

No. If I made the assertion, the burden of proof would be mine alone just as it is your burden to prove your assertion about VOOM.

BTW, there *IS* a ghost right behind you.

Unfortunately, DISH made it easy for us to decide to switch. We've been told for 2 years that we would have locals in HD "within a couple months" and it still hasn't happened. Besides some customer service issues, this is what sealed our decision to switch.

You've got it backwards. I don't need to find ratings. You do.

If I were to say that there is a ghost right behind you, would you then need to prove there isn't?

No. If I made the assertion, the burden of proof would be mine alone just as it is your burden to prove your assertion about VOOM.

BTW, there *IS* a ghost right behind you.
Got to agree, you do have a point. I personally have the opinion that Voom dont get that high of ratings, however, thats just my opinion. I AM NOT saying thats fact. They may get fantastic ratings. Any links?

I couldnt be any more confident that there is a very low demand for Voom. If you can find ratings to the contrary feel free to post them. In fact, I would be shocked if the ratings for all of the voom channels combined are more than a signle HD/Upconvert channel.

YOU are the one that needs to offer the proof, backing YOUR original CLAIM!

As was pointed out in several other threads, if Dish would just light up the so called SciFi HD channel, 99% of the whining, complaining, and Voom hating would go away.

Dish offers A LOT of HD, just not the kind people who should just go switch to DirecTV want to see.

It's like Chevy owners whining about why Ford has something that Chevy does not. Just trade it in and go buy the Ford and get over it.

As for the OPs question, I think the answers have been provided:
1. Satellites scheduled to be launched in the next year will completely NEGATE all the differences between E* and D* if not make E* the outright leader again and you will not need a 5 lnbf dish to get everything.
2. Charlie negotiates affordable programming he believes will make him the most money while satisfying the majority of his subscribers. People who demand total HD of the highest resolution and bitrate are a VERY SMALL minority.
3. If Charlie believes it will make a significant difference, he will light up a channel. Many people apparently made enough noise to get TBSHD turned on. The current value of that HD channel is similar to most of the HD channels D* has turned on that E* still has not.

Few weeks? Try 3 months next week.

But the real issue I see it that DISH has kept very quiet.

Yep it is the real issue. With Dish stock falling to a new 52 week low, you would think they could see what is happening. Right now investors and customers do not have confidence in Dish. It would be a lot better if Dish made an announcement on its plans for short term and long term.

YOU are the one that needs to offer the proof, backing YOUR original CLAIM!

I actually have looked. Cant find a thing.. that should tell you something. Listen I like some obscure heavy metal bands.. but I do know there's low album sales for this stuff. Do I have the numbers? No, but common sense tells me if I ask a 100 people I probably cant find anyone else who listens to the stuff. Same idea with voom. It's TV welfare.

Dish should not force feed us stuff that most people dont want, and also force us to subsidze an extra $10 a month for it. If you people want it so bad, you should pay extra for it. Meanwhile I cant see yankeee games, which there is a high demand for and, yes, I would pay extra for.

Got to agree, you do have a point. I personally have the opinion that Voom dont get that high of ratings, however, thats just my opinion. I AM NOT saying thats fact. They may get fantastic ratings. Any links?
I've given up trying to figure what everybody is or isn't watching.

Some shows and channels, I see no point to at all, go on and on and on and on.

I guess that expains why Baskin Robins makes 31 flavors.

for the original question, when the sats are launched next year we will get more, and the reason for them not being launched yet is problems at the launch site with differant sats that had launch failers or delays...Now as far as HD content...My opinion is good things come to those that wait. the HD war is just beginning. Both the services will offer a ton of channels in HD. Who ends up with the most probley won't matter, because who has 1000 hours a day to watch all of that HD content? My math probley tops out around 4-6 hours max with work and sleep and other things going on in life. so would take alot of days just to watch one days worth of all the HD out there and the HD to come. Now that brings you to the equipment, that will depend on what recievers you like better, what dish set-up you like better, right now Dish = 1 dish maybe 2 and Direct = 2 dish's for the HD content...maybe even three? Will also depend on what programming you like as well and how much you are willing to pay for all the content...Unlimited budget D* is probley the way to go to get all the sports packages...Limited budget, or maybe you are into adult programming, E* may fit better. But for people to piss all over each other is pointless. It is like going into a bar with a hot women and then seeing another hot women and saying man I want that service instead.

I may be totally off base with this but, I thought the 2 sats that E* is launching will NOT be used for national HD?? Maybe it's changed but I remember hearing that one of the new sats will be used for LIL HD and one would be used as a backup??

There will be 3 sats that will be launched next year . Two will be replacement sats that will let DISH move the spare sats up there doing nothing now, to new locations; hopefully the new sites for the relaunch of DISH in mpeg 4 - 86.5 & 97 . The other sat is the one launched at the end of 2008 that will replace the crappy 129 sat . This next year will be the year that DISH will once again reclaim their hd leadership , barring any more delays in launching the sats that will accomplish this. I had heard of the first sat going up by February but that might be delayed till after DIRECTV gets their new sat up in March. So 2008 will bring more hd but the question is when they will launch the sats they need to do it.

There will be 3 sats that will be launched next year . Two will be replacement sats that will let DISH move the spare sats up there doing nothing now, to new locations; hopefully the new sites for the relaunch of DISH in mpeg 4 - 86.5 & 97 . The other sat is the one launched at the end of 2008 that will replace the crappy 129 sat . This next year will be the year that DISH will once again reclaim their hd leadership , barring any more delays in launching the sats that will accomplish this. I had heard of the first sat going up by February but that might be delayed till after DIRECTV gets their new sat up in March. So 2008 will bring more hd but the question is when they will launch the sats they need to do it.

Got it. Thanks

In my case I could not see why I should pay 1500 to Dish for the next year and still not have any prospect of getting my local Fox affiliate and not having any promise of a replacement for E5 (129). Instead what I got from Dish was SILENCE. If I lived in an area where neither of these were issues for me I would have stuck it out with Dish. As soon as D caught up and surpassed in HD quantity and quality my personal choice was sealed. I figured the sooner the better to fulfill the new service agreement. By the time E launches and gets the new sats up and working I'll be more than half the way thru my commitment to D. Obviously, there's a lot that can and will happen between now and then and I look forward to healthy competition giving me more options when my current commitment is up.

Can we change the title of this thread to "Why is dish falling behind in Upconverted Content"? I was able to play around with a friends D* HD setup and when I wasn't cursing the junk D* passes off as a receiver I couldn't find any HD programing on the bulk of the channels.

While it's nice for the D* subs to get some new options. I have no problem waiting for the new E* sats, maybe by then there will be some HD on these new HD labeled channels D* is bragging about.

I've given up trying to figure what everybody is or isn't watching.

Some shows and channels, I see no point to at all, go on and on and on and on.

I guess that expains why Baskin Robins makes 31 flavors.

Dish is no Baskin Robins, more like Henry Ford ... "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."
:D

With no local HD, the lack Scifi HD and others, the FACT that Voom has went from a great package (when we had better pq and Guytv and the others) to total crap, and now being sued by FoxNews, and no Fox Business.....the grass is starting to look greener.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts