why is dish not adding hd channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Not in areas services by AT&T, Quest, Embarq, Cincinnati Bell and the many other local telephone companies that are out there. Even in Verizon service areas it's going to be MANY years before, if ever, FIOS is rolled out to smaller/rural areas, just ask the folks in the North East where Verizon wouldn't even upgrade their infrastructure to support DSL service and eventually sold off the market. The same thing can be said for AT&T's Uverse product, heck they cherry picking areas of Austin now for where you can get service, doesn't matter how many channels the service has and how cheap it is if you can't get it.

Did I really have to spell this out?..Obviuosly FiOS won'ty have any effect on satellite tv is areas where Verizon is not the local phone carrier.
And I see nothing wrong with cherry picking. Why should the telcos spend tons of money to bring a service into areas where A) it's less likely to be bought or b) into far flung areas.
That just drives up the cost to those who subscribe. I don't think customers should have to pay for others who DONT subscirbe...

Did I really have to spell this out?..

Yep, when you make statements like "FiOS is going to kick satellite's ass..and I am in the satellite business...". Kind of hard to kick a** when you have such a limited coverage area like FIOS will have compared to satellite.

Yep, when you make statements like "FiOS is going to kick satellite's ass..and I am in the satellite business...". Kind of hard to kick a** when you have such a limited coverage area like FIOS will have compared to satellite.
I concur

I guess it's a requirement to quantify every sentence, huh?
I am also in the satellite bus..But Fiber is the future. Mark my words.. 3 years ago nobody thought DSL was going to reach rural areas. Now I am doing Windstream sales partner Dish installs out in the rural areas AND the customers are getting DSL with the bundle.
Oh eventually FTH will become more widespread. And I will be ready to go. I'll be leaving satellite for good.
Another thing. This applies to my area. There is an entire untapped market in certain areas of Charlotte due to heavy tree cover. A very large area for that matter that is so hevaily wooded, satellite isn't a possibility. Lots of these folks are no doubt pining to get away from cable and Uverse will be that option. I intend on getting into that when is is offered this year.

I guess it's a requirement to quantify every sentence, huh?
I am also in the satellite bus..But Fiber is the future. Mark my words.. 3 years ago nobody thought DSL was going to reach rural areas. Now I am doing Windstream sales partner Dish installs out in the rural areas AND the customers are getting DSL with the bundle.
Oh eventually FTH will become more widespread. And I will be ready to go. I'll be leaving satellite for good.
Another thing. This applies to my area. There is an entire untapped market in certain areas of Charlotte due to heavy tree cover. A very large area for that matter that is so hevaily wooded, satellite isn't a possibility. Lots of these folks are no doubt pining to get away from cable and Uverse will be that option. I intend on getting into that when is is offered this year.

Maybe in Verizon areas (but I doubt it) but very limited in AT&T and I've not seen any mention of Qwest rolling out FTTP. As for your rural DSL example, come down to Texas and show me the same thing since it's not happening here.

If you're looking for Uverse to be your savior if you're intersted in HD then dream on. Currently all they can do is ONE HD stream into a home and later in this year they'll start doing upgrades to allow for two or three concurrent HD streams. Oh boy a whole three HD streams and that's the future, don't think so. Now if Uverse is all you can get you'll probably be happy with that but if you have an alternative who'd want something with as many limitations that Uverse comes with.

Maybe in Verizon areas (but I doubt it) but very limited in AT&T and I've not seen any mention of Qwest rolling out FTTP. As for your rural DSL example, come down to Texas and show me the same thing since it's not happening here.

If you're looking for Uverse to be your savior if you're intersted in HD then dream on. Currently all they can do is ONE HD stream into a home and later in this year they'll start doing upgrades to allow for two or three concurrent HD streams. Oh boy a whole three HD streams and that's the future, don't think so. Now if Uverse is all you can get you'll probably be happy with that but if you have an alternative who'd want something with as many limitations that Uverse comes with.
Savior? ok ..whatever....the possiblities of fiber technonlgy are limitless....You go ahead and be a stick in the mud.....
I think you should think about becoming a bit more melodramatic

Savior? ok ..whatever....the possiblities of fiber technonlgy are limitless....You go ahead and be a stick in the mud.....
The point is though, it doesnt matter how good it is if you cant get the market penetration.

When I worked in a networking group we had a saying, "There's no technology problem that can't be solved by money." Yes, fiber is great, fiber can do so much more then copper or coax. It all comes down to money and will companies spend the many billions of dollars to run fiber to everyones home in the US, nope, ain't going to happen.

The point is though, it doesnt matter how good it is if you cant get the market penetration.
Can't?..Who says they "can't"?....FTH is in its infancy. The two telcos no doubt are penetrating those markets most likely to make them the most money. As with cable, FTH will expand as technology allows. This from a Verizon engineer.
Question for you and others on the other side of this issue, Why so cynical? Are you afraid of additional competition for satellite?
I am in the sat bus and I welcome it.
I maintain that FTH is the future.

Question for you and others on the other side of this issue, Why so cynical? Are you afraid of additional competition for satellite?
Cynical, nope, just a realist. And what two phone companies are doing FTH? I'm only aware of Verizon activly persuing this option. AT&T does go FTTP for SOME new subdivisions and is NOT replacing copper with fiber to the home. Even for the AT&T areas that have fiber they're still limiting serivces to exactly the same services that homes could get on copper service. If you check AT&T has said over and over again that they have no plans to do a Verizon FIOS type implementation and using copper and ADSL2 will meet their needs.

If ANYONE would run any media to my home that provided me all the channels that I can get from D* at a reasonable price I have no problems giving them a chance. Now why can't you look at this logically and admit that everyone will not have fiber run to their homes anytime in the reasonable near term future.

Cynical, nope, just a realist. And what two phone companies are doing FTH? I'm only aware of Verizon activly persuing this option. AT&T does go FTTP for SOME new subdivisions and is NOT replacing copper with fiber to the home. Even for the AT&T areas that have fiber they're still limiting serivces to exactly the same services that homes could get on copper service. If you check AT&T has said over and over again that they have no plans to do a Verizon FIOS type implementation and using copper and ADSL2 will meet their needs.

If ANYONE would run any media to my home that provided me all the channels that I can get from D* at a reasonable price I have no problems giving them a chance. Now why can't you look at this logically and admit that everyone will not have fiber run to their homes anytime in the reasonable near term future.
Exactly. Fios itself will not get the market share to be a legitimate competition, and U-verse right now is fundamentaly different. I would like to have the option too, however I dont see that EVER happening.I live on a dead end road. Hell they even stop cable about 500 yards from my house since there are only me and 2 others past that point, I cant imagine they would go through the expense to run cable or fiber any farther than they are.

ok your fine your reality.If you think that fiber technology will not advance that's ok..I know better.

ok your fine your reality.If you think that fiber technology will not advance that's ok..I know better.

What are we talking about, advances in fiber technology or the rollout of fiber to all homes? I never said that fiber technology won't make advances, all I've said it won't make the penetration levels that you're saying. Show me some facts that it shows ANY company saying they're going to roll out fiber to all their customers for the entire country. Hell, just show me something that says Version is going to roll out FIOS to all their customer premises.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)