Why is Dish shutting down the 721?

Got our letter today - called - got told doing it due to mpeg4. The letter posted above is the one we got. Monthly bill will not change - just have to return it to them if we ever cancel our service. CSR took the time to look up the recordable hours differance between the 721 and 522, and answer a few other technical questions. Only thing she couldn't do was have the case painted silver to match my 721 :> They offer to either have it installed for you, or ship it too you so you can do it yourself.

this is also for dishplayer 7200??

I just received what looks like the same letter...but I only have 1 dish receiver...an aged dishplayer 7200.

I called and they want to replace my receiver with a 311...which is not acceptable since it is NOT a dvr box.

What do I have to do to get the best possible replacement offer?
I need it to have no DVR fee and at least have the 7 day guide.
thanks.

I just received what looks like the same letter...but I only have 1 dish receiver...an aged dishplayer 7200.

I called and they want to replace my receiver with a 311...which is not acceptable since it is NOT a dvr box.

thanks.

try complaining to ceo@dishnetwork.com

thanks.

I would simply refuse the offer and explain why. If they don't improve it, just stay put. In my experience, they will be back. They still call every week or 2 even though they have had installers out and have it on record that I can't receive a signal where I am currently living.

what should I ask for

What should I ask for? What would a reasonable replacement for a 7200 be?
Do you know if the 7200 will really stop working at some point?

The 522 is definitely an MPEG-2 only box.

Got my letter today. Will call now. I'm shooting for an HD DVR, and a little time so I can record all the stuff off the 721.

Now to brush up on the ViP612 to see if it's acceptable, or move to the ViP722, like I have in the living room (721 is in bedroom). I don't need the two TV bit, but I know there were problems with the ViP612 not long ago. Be nice to swap external storage between them, though.

What should I ask for? What would a reasonable replacement for a 7200 be?
Do you know if the 7200 will really stop working at some point?

It will stop when they kill the MPEG-2 stream. That is not really soon. You want the equivalent in a more supportable MPEG-4 friendly DVR. They don't currently market this beast, unless you upgrade to HDTV and get a 612.

The 721 upgrade is because the TIVO judgement is forcing them to shut off infringing DVRs. The 7100/7200 are explicitly excluded from that judgement, so they will not be shut off for this reason.

The closest is the 625 which is a dual tuner, mpeg-2 standard definition box. There is supposed to be a mpeg-4 sd dvr out soon, so I would sit tight as long as you are happy with what you have. Of course, if they offer you at 612, you should probably consider it, if just for the extended recording time.

It will stop when they kill the MPEG-2 stream. That is not really soon. You want the equivalent in a more supportable MPEG-4 friendly DVR. They don't currently market this beast, unless you upgrade to HDTV and get a 612.

The 721 upgrade is because the TIVO judgement is forcing them to shut off infringing DVRs. The 7100/7200 are explicitly excluded from that judgement, so they will not be shut off for this reason.

The closest is the 625 which is a dual tuner, mpeg-2 standard definition box. There is supposed to be a mpeg-4 sd dvr out soon, so I would sit tight as long as you are happy with what you have. Of course, if they offer you at 612, you should probably consider it, if just for the extended recording time.
Yea I think I will just hold out until they do kill the signal to my 721 or kill the mpeg2 altogether. I just don't see why they need to exchange the 721's when the injunction excluded the 721's that were already in use and active by the customer.

Well I called and, then called them out on there BS about it being about mpeg4 then after 10 minutes of arguing that if it was because of mpeg 4 why was it just the 721,7200,921,942 models. Also why is not my 501 affected it not mpeg4 transition. Well after hammering them for 5 minutes they said it about new smart cards. I immediately hung up and called my ceo csr, ( I hate being lied too. I file complaint everytime I am lied too)!

Nov 1st is the approx date he could give me on the shut off he sent off a email if there was a update on this information. But the last thing he saw was Nov 1.

Dish is making this offer take it or leave it but they are not going to budge on this matter.

And this swap only affects 7100/7200 721/921/942 .

Well I called and, then called them out on there BS about it being about mpeg4 then after 10 minutes of arguing that if it was because of mpeg 4 why was it just the 721,7200,921,942 models. Also why is not my 501 affected it not mpeg4 transition. Well after hammering them for 5 minutes they said it about new smart cards. I immediately hung up and called my ceo csr, ( I hate being lied too. I file complaint everytime I am lied too)!

Nov 1st is the approx date he could give me on the shut off he sent off a email if there was a update on this information. But the last thing he saw was Nov 1.

Dish is making this offer take it or leave it but they are not going to budge on this matter.

And this swap only affects 7100/7200 721/921/942 .
Well the funny part of there mpeg4 reason is that they are replacing it with an mpeg2 receiver :confused: (522), so that makes no damn sense at all.

The earlier speculation in the Forums that E* was not going to update the software of certain models to support the new smart cards is correct.

It seems that E* has definitely decided not to update the software on the models in the TiVo suit (721,921,942) and the 7100/7200 is merely a question of the software not being in house.

I think that E* did the 921 and 942 first because those also has the double whammy of being the old HD system, which is going to change on September 17th (according to reports).

PS Any rep who is saying "MPEG4" is confusing this replacement with the 921/942/811 replacement.

When you buy an "Extended Warranty" from a big-box electronics store for your new plasma TV, such as Best Buy, for example.... the Warranty states that if the equipment can not be repaired, and that model is no longer available, a suitable replacement will be offered. Do you expect them to refund the money from your original purchase, AND give you a replacement TV?

Doesn't work that way... and what Dish is doing is the same thing that electronics store is doing... offering you a suitable replacement, for free.

I understand you're upset... but you have no power in this situation besides leaving Dish Network... if you think you're going to get some supremely better service with Direct TV, all I can say is..... see ya soon :)

It's not similar to a TV - it's similar to a Cell Phone. Not all cell phones work on all networks.

If you want to keep your 721 to use as a boat anchor or door stop, no one is stopping you - no one is "confiscating" it.

You just can't get use it to subscribe to programming. They are replacing it with a newer model with more features - such as Name-Based recording and two outputs - and no monthly cost increase. Seems fair enough.

NOVEMBER 3, 2008

Although StoneCold might be right, Nov 1. It was hard to hear the guy.

That is when the 721s will be deactivated.

I did a little research and discovered the ViP612 only does around 30 hours of HD, vs the ViP722 doing around 55. Plus, there seem to be very few SatGuys with a ViP612. Only one person other than the OP answered a ViP612 poll. So when I called, the first rep could not help me with anything but a 522. I told her that was not acceptable. She put me on hold for a few minutes and passed me to a (senior?) account rep. He said I could not upgrade to a ViP722 because I just upgraded from a ViP622 to a ViP722. I stated the only reason I did that was because I had to, the HDMI on the ViP622 failed. It should hardly be held against me that I was within a year of an upgrade because their equipment failed. He said Sorry. I said I will not accept a 522, it made no sense since I was moving to an HDTV. I then asked for Customer Retention or a Supervisor. He restated his title and I got the impression he was the only one I was going to speak to. So I asked when they were cutting off the 721s, and was told 11/3. WOW, that's fast.

I was about to say goodbye, and send a missive to CEO at u know what when he said, more or less, "Do I understand that you decline to accept the 522 and only want to upgrade to a ViP722? We don't do that." Or maybe it was "We normally don't do that." I said yes, I'm not taking a 522. He relented, and the bottom line is $75 on a credit card right now, self install of the ViP722, $7.98 more per month, new 2 year commitment upon activation, and it is, of course, a leased unit. If I return the 721 within 45 days, I'll get $10. I got the impression he didn't expect, or didn't want, the 721 back. He only told me that because I specifically asked.

Both reps were professional, spoke excellent English, and my only complaint is the second one was very hard to hear. Low volume, bad connection, whatever.

I feel I received a good deal.

Now to chat with She Who Must Be Obeyed about buying another HDTV. ;)

NOVEMBER 3, 2008

Although StoneCold might be right, Nov 1. It was hard to hear the guy.​

That is when the 721s will be deactivated.

I did a little research and discovered the ViP612 only does around 30 hours of HD, vs the ViP722 doing around 55. Plus, there seem to be very few SatGuys with a ViP612. Only one person other than the OP answered a ViP612 poll. So when I called, the first rep could not help me with anything but a 522. I told her that was not acceptable. She put me on hold for a few minutes and passed me to a (senior?) account rep. He said I could not upgrade to a ViP722 because I just upgraded from a ViP622 to a ViP722. I stated the only reason I did that was because I had to, the HDMI on the ViP622 failed. It should hardly be held against me that I was within a year of an upgrade because their equipment failed. He said Sorry. I said I will not accept a 522, it made no sense since I was moving to an HDTV. I then asked for Customer Retention or a Supervisor. He restated his title and I got the impression he was the only one I was going to speak to. So I asked when they were cutting off the 721s, and was told 11/3. WOW, that's fast.

I was about to say goodbye, and send a missive to CEO at u know what when he said, more or less, "Do I understand that you decline to accept the 522 and only want to upgrade to a ViP722? We don't do that." Or maybe it was "We normally don't do that." I said yes, I'm not taking a 522. He relented, and the bottom line is $75 on a credit card right now, self install of the ViP722, $7.98 more per month, new 2 year commitment upon activation, and it is, of course, a leased unit. If I return the 721 within 45 days, I'll get $10. I got the impression he didn't expect, or didn't want, the 721 back. He only told me that because I specifically asked.

Both reps were professional, spoke excellent English, and my only complaint is the second one was very hard to hear. Low volume, bad connection, whatever.

I feel I received a good deal.

Now to chat with She Who Must Be Obeyed about buying another HDTV. ;)
Glad you got what you liked :). I wouldn't have a problem the $75 or even maybe the $7.98, I just HATE a commitment. I mean I have been with Dish for 12 years and I have never been under a commitment. Will I leave Dish within those 2 years, probably not but I just hate commitment because you never know what might happen a year from now:(.

I've been with them something like 7 years. Have to look it up. I'm not going anywhere. I already get more programming than I can watch. Fios is coming by, and if they ever get a decent DVR, I might consider them for video. But I've been lied to so many times by their reps, ......

I also like that I might be able to receive Dish while on the road in my RV, even though I haven't done that in years.

Another biggie is maybe the new Archos HD versions will work with Dish. Now THAT will pry a few hundred out of my hands.

I know this is a long shot, but will my 721 remotes(I have 3) work with the 522? It looks like there is probably more features on the new remote.

Yep. :D

Actually, I believe it's the sixth one to pass thru my doors. HDD and power supply failures. Always on high quality UPS units. But boy, when they work, they're GREAT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts