Why is Dish shutting down the 721?

I'd think the bottom end DVR, what ever that is now (I haven't kept up).

As to WebTV, do you actually use it? I'd never browse the web on my TV, resolution is too small.

Would it continue to work for web stuff without the satellite signal?

No, I don't use it, but I wonder if that helps me bargain to get a better receiver.
I really like my 7200 and am disappointed that it will stop working...so I want to get the best that I can get in exchange.

Does anyone know when the 7200's will stop working?
thanks.

Wouldn't the ViP612 be more appropriate than the ViP622/722? For an HD upgrade? Of course, the bottom most DVR period is the 522.

Call Dish 888 383-3727 and ask them when it'll stop working. Fastest way to get to a human on that line, I'm told, is to select 3 then 2.

And then please post when it dies here.

Does this also affect a 921?

(I was ebaying my old 921 that I disconnected a few months ago and someone wrote me and pointed me to this thread.)

Thanks,

Note: I called Dish and gave them my S & R numbers and they said the receiver could be activated. They said they knew nothing about it being discontinued. I am not looking to screw anyone over (selling my 921 on ebay), I just want to get rid of stuff I no longer need.

Last edited:
I got $200 credit on monthly bill ($20/mo.) when I send in my invoice for a new 722 receiver. Keeps me quiet. First offer was a owned 522, but when I switch to Eastern arch what good is it except ebay. I guess they want my $120/month for a few more years.

I'd think the bottom end DVR, what ever that is now (I haven't kept up).

As to WebTV, do you actually use it? I'd never browse the web on my TV, resolution is too small.

Would it continue to work for web stuff without the satellite signal?

I believe you have to be at least 85 years old to continue using WebTV. Figure most WebTV users only have about 4-5 years left in them anyway and prorate a SSI discount accordingly.

(I was ebaying my old 921 that I disconnected a few months ago and someone wrote me and pointed me to this thread.)

The HD won't work in a few days. SD should continue fine, but it may be swapped for the same reasons as the 721 in the near future.

Thanks,

Note: I called Dish and gave them my S & R numbers and they said the receiver could be activated. They said they knew nothing about it being discontinued. I am not looking to screw anyone over (selling my 921 on ebay), I just want to get rid of stuff I no longer need.

Once that 921 is deactivated, it will not be turned on again.

Sad to think some folks are still putting up with the 921. You'd think they'd wanted to be be rid of it some time ago.

Once that 921 is deactivated, it will not be turned on again.

I am a bit confused again. I called Dish yesterday and gave them my R and S numbers, they told me the receiver could be activated on an account (never gave them my account number, since I don't have one any more).

Are you saying some time in the future they are going to prevent activation of 921? Even for SD and HD OTA channels?

Or are you saying today, a person can not activate a 921?

I have 2 7100 Dishplayer . Still rock solid. I also still have web-tv and I still use it. I think they should replace them with the DISH Player-DVR 625. I only have legacey lnb's will the new receivers work with them or will they replace the lnb's with new dish pro's or what ever they are using now?

I have 2 7100 Dishplayer . Still rock solid. I also still have web-tv and I still use it. I think they should replace them with the DISH Player-DVR 625. I only have legacey lnb's will the new receivers work with them or will they replace the lnb's with new dish pro's or what ever they are using now?

The tech will replace the LNBS.... Legacy 21 switches are junk. He will probably put Dish Pro Plus equipment so he can Diplex to your second TV.

Just got off the phone with dish..they say that november sometime is when the 7200 will start losing channels.

I was not getting far with trying to get a 625 upgrade with no fees for my 7200 until I asked for customer retention. I've been a customer for 8 years...all is taken care of.
625 installed at no cost...dvr advantage to cover fees (my monthly bill stays the same) (they will be renewing dvr advantage in all likelyhood).

Got my form letter today. No mention of a cutoff date so I hope the Nov 1 date is correct as I have 75 hours of programming to move to DVD....

Question, can I watch those 75 hours of programming after disconnecting the 721 from the satellite? I have heard the 721 will not operate if it can't receive a satellite signal.

Has anyone made the swap yet? Did Dish send you the 522, or did an installer come out to hook it up? Also, what happened with the old 721?

Got my form letter today. No mention of a cutoff date so I hope the Nov 1 date is correct as I have 75 hours of programming to move to DVD....

Question, can I watch those 75 hours of programming after disconnecting the 721 from the satellite? I have heard the 721 will not operate if it can't receive a satellite signal.

I'm in the same situation. I am busily copying to DVD. I, also, am under the impression that the 721 will not work without seeing a satellite.

I was told I have 45 days to return the 721, after which I will be credited $10. Odd, I thought the usual limit was 10 days. I'll return it, to be rid of it. My replacement, a ViP722, is supposed to be shipping out today.

The deal I made was self-install. $50 less that way. You really shouldn't need an installer.

I have watched content on my 721 before without having it connected to a signal. It has been a while, but it was possible at one time.

I also got the letter over the weekend. I have a 722 serving my living room and master bedroom. The ol' 721 is in the bonus for the kids. Debating about whether to update them to HD. I switched to HD Absolute and they are complaining about no SD Nickelodeon or Disney, only Cartoon Network. I guess there is no Nickelodeon HD yet eh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts