Why is it so much more expensive than cable?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
After reading this, I called D*, and looked at my last statement which has my first receiver for free (but DVR Fee) and the other 3 showed leased equipment @ 2 charges of $4.99/mo.

Now I own one of those 3 boxes, so I called but they said it is not a "Lease" but a mirroring fee, and I would be paying it regardless. Although the statement does label the charge as "Lease"

Is that true? Or should I call someone else and try to get that 3rd lease/mirror fee erased?
Nope thats the way it works. If you got rid of you DVR for a standard receiver,then you lose a $5.99 for DVR. But you have a DVR so its $5.99 per month and $4.99 for everyone after that.So if you have 2 DVR's its still only $5.99 for the first one and the 2nd one $4.99.You only get charged 1 DVR fee. $5.99 for as many as you want. But you still get charged $4.99 mirror fee for 2nd and each after.

Do you own 1 and lease 3? If you do, make sure the own is the primary box and the other 3 would be correct as Lease. If you own a total of 2, again make sure an own is the primary but the other own should reflect mirror fee not lease fee. The cost is the same but its a big deal as they have in the system that box as leased. I would get it changed if thats the case.

It is not my main box, my main box is my HR20, and the other 3 are 1 R10 (mine) and 2 D11's. I have not outright paid for any of these boxes, including the HR20 they gave me all HR20, & 3 D11's, one D11 I had deactivated when I replaced it with an R10 that was given to me.

They told me the first box is free, and the other 3 are mirrored @ $4.99/mo.

So really is mirror the same as lease?

It is not my main box, my main box is my HR20, and the other 3 are 1 R10 (mine) and 2 D11's. I have not outright paid for any of these boxes, including the HR20 they gave me all HR20, & 3 D11's, one D11 I had deactivated when I replaced it with an R10 that was given to me.

Cost wise it is. But if you never paid for the boxes, then they are all lease. If there is a still an owned one in the mix, it should be the primary so all the lease ones show. If not, then the cost is the same but your lease fee should be mirror fee.

yes and no. If you never paid full price for your equipment, Then its a lease fee. And that means you don't own it. If you bought all your stuff out right then is a mirror fee.Either way is the same price for the same service .

In my case, the combination of Directv and Bellsouth DSL was significantly cheaper than Comcast Cable+High Speed internet. They had a deal to discount the Directv by $10 per month.

Right now, I'm still only paying $68 per month for Total Choice (no locals, old plan), DVR service, 1 extra box, HD package, and HBO.

That equivalent on Comcast is more than $95 per month. (Talking Digital Silver+HBO, DVR/HDTV fee+1 extra box

DSL is also cheaper if you choose one of the slower speeds (like 1.5Mbps or 3.0Mbps).

In addition, Comcast is now charging installation/activation fees that add up to more than $54.

I tried to go online and change the primary status of my leased receiver to my owned receiver and couldn't find a way to do it. Do you mean I have to call D* to do that?:no If so, I may just wait for another reason to call them. I don't like calling a CS rep unless absolutely necessary!! They usually make my brain hurt.!sadroll

Yes, that is what we have been saying. ;)

Every receiver after the first is charged a $4.99 mirror fee.
If the receiver is owned it will be listed as "additional receiver fee".
If it is leased is is listed as "lease fee".

That's all. Same cost. Just different names.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)