WHY is there no call to give USC the sports "death penalty"...?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
From Reggie Bush, to O.J. Mayo to "Lil Romeo", to Fili Moala's bar fight arrest, to convicted felon Suge Knight was getting a sideline pass to a USC game...and the list goes on and on and on....and yet....barely a blip on Sportcenter....3 or 4th page in the national sports headlines...... 14 years, there was this clamour for the University of Miami football program get axed....well it looks the WHOLE athletic department smells as USC....and barely a word......

I brought this up because on sport radio down here....I was hearing Jorge Sedano on one of the local sports talk shows get on his soapbox about The U getting the raw deal when it comes to the media. I know that some of it was brought on themselves by it's history. Started to do a little investigating on my own and low and behold....USC smells nastier than The U could ever stink! I mean 99% of the bad things that has happened has been football team related, but USC.....man, it's the whole athletic program when you read alot of the stuff going on. This thing with Mayo, IF it had happened at The U.....there would be a call by anyone that writes sports media to nuke the university!

Read it and weap!

Pete Carroll, Tim Floyd, USC and Scandal (3rd Update) - Bruins Nation

Just because players that went to that college get in trouble doesn't mean the school did. the school must have several violations in a short period of time to get the death penalty. Also USC is too big of a school to get it.

There is also no FINAL report of any proven wrong doing; simply speculations and reports; some of which is back and forth between jealous and disgruntled people; some of which seems to be so far behind the scenes, like even without the player and school's knowledge. It all needs to sort out first; so no sanctions until then is fine with me; we are too knee jerk these days and want to convict BEFORE anything has been completed.

There is also no FINAL report of any proven wrong doing; simply speculations and reports; some of which is back and forth between jealous and disgruntled people; some of which seems to be so far behind the scenes, like even without the player and school's knowledge. It all needs to sort out first; so no sanctions until then is fine with me; we are too knee jerk these days and want to convict BEFORE anything has been completed.

Too bad the same has not been said whenever anything The U get ANY negative pub....:rolleyes:

Reggie Bush issue is still pending?

I agree that USC needs to be looked at more closely. However, at Miami, the problems were not agent related. The problems were the appearance of out of control players. They have been playing up on that reputation recently; the big fight, a player shot and killed. The reputation Miami had, and still has to a lesser extent, is that of taking out of control - felons, to play on the team.

I have not seen anytning in any reports to indicate that the USC players are involved in out of control or illegal activities.

"Lack of institutional control". That's what the NCAA got OU for over the Rhett Bomar situation, and that applies to both the OJ Mayo and the Reggie Bush situations. Doesn't call for the "death penalty", but it does call for some NCAA discipline against USC. Even the fact that OU reported themselves to the NCAA didn't save them from being punished.

I agree that USC needs to be looked at more closely. However, at Miami, the problems were not agent related. The problems were the appearance of out of control players. They have been playing up on that reputation recently; the big fight, a player shot and killed. The reputation Miami had, and still has to a lesser extent, is that of taking out of control - felons, to play on the team.

I have not seen anytning in any reports to indicate that the USC players are involved in out of control or illegal activities.

See....this kills me....the player was shot by WHOM? Another player? Off-field antics? Nope...Sean Taylor was killed by thugs robbing him....and Brian Pata was killed coming home to his apartment in what police are saying is a holdup gone wrong. My issues is that at USC, it has been having issues lately with ALL the athletic program...not just the football team. IF Miami has anything negative, it's the lad story in litterally every sports news in America. Even here in the state, checkout this section from one of the columnist at the Miami Herald:

Just in this state, Florida State receiver Preston Parker was arrested last month and charged with carrying a concealed .45-caliber handgun and possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana. Then there are the noncriminal issues that are less serious but just as disconcerting for a coach trying to maintain a proper program. Daron Rose, FSU's starting left tackle, was deemed academically ineligible for next season. Florida freshman Matt Patchan caught a bullet in the shoulder in a random shooting while at a park near Tampa. Central Florida cornerback Johnell Neal was injured during a shooting in his hometown of Baton Rouge, La. (notice no University of Miami players are listed, yet as soon as one is, the ''Thug U'' label will be all the rage again. Go figure).

UF's Meyer has a tough balancing act - 05/15/2008 - MiamiHerald.com

I mean hell, one player for UF was caught using the credit card of A DEAD WOMAN, and you barely heard of it....now if a Miami player did this....LOL...are you kidding me?? ESPN would supercede ANY STORY to put this fron and center....

Gator accused of using dead woman's credit card - Game on - USATODAY.com

See....this kills me....the player was shot by WHOM? Another player? Off-field antics? Nope...Sean Taylor was killed by thugs robbing him....and Brian Pata was killed coming home to his apartment in what police are saying is a holdup gone wrong. My issues is that at USC, it has been having issues lately with ALL the athletic program...not just the football team. IF Miami has anything negative, it's the lad story in litterally every sports news in America.

It has little to do with reality lately. Miami got that reputation in the 80s and early 90s. Catholics vs Convicts series with Notre Dame. Wearing battle fatigues beside Penn State dressed in shirts and ties at the Fiesta Bowl. There are several NFL players from Miami that have bad boy reputations:

Miami Hurricanes' bad rep persists in NFL - NFL - MSNBC.com

I am not of the opinion that things are as bad in Miami as the used to be. They are not a "Thug" university anymore. However, if you develop that reputation it is very hard to get rid of it. The reputation of Miami has nothing to do with agents and non-permitted benefits. That is the reason that USC is not characterized as a "Thug" university from the latest revelations.

With that said, I do believe that having the same thing happen in two sports would fit the mold of "Lack of institutional control" that the NCAA has been using for many schools in the last few years. They should receive some kind of santions from the NCAA.

It has little to do with reality lately. Miami got that reputation in the 80s and early 90s. Catholics vs Convicts series with Notre Dame. Wearing battle fatigues beside Penn State dressed in shirts and ties at the Fiesta Bowl. There are several NFL players from Miami that have bad boy reputations:

Miami Hurricanes' bad rep persists in NFL - NFL - MSNBC.com

I am not of the opinion that things are as bad in Miami as the used to be. They are not a "Thug" university anymore. However, if you develop that reputation it is very hard to get rid of it. The reputation of Miami has nothing to do with agents and non-permitted benefits. That is the reason that USC is not characterized as a "Thug" university from the latest revelations.

With that said, I do believe that having the same thing happen in two sports would fit the mold of "Lack of institutional control" that the NCAA has been using for many schools in the last few years. They should receive some kind of santions from the NCAA.

Yes, I agree to a certain extent....their discretions have been more of a "white collar" issue....but come on, the whole fatigue outfit thing was 20 YEARS AGO...and they just wore clothes....I mean you really gonna make an issue about what clothes they wore?? Why? Because Penn State players wore ties and jackets? Gimme a break....Again, my issue is not so muc what they did because there will ALWAYS be college kids getting into fights on campus, ESPECIALLY football players....but my issue is why was this thurst from the media to kill the football program....but barely a peep for the athletic program as a whole at USC??

See....this kills me....the player was shot by WHOM? Another player? Off-field antics? Nope...Sean Taylor was killed by thugs robbing him....and Brian Pata was killed coming home to his apartment in what police are saying is a holdup gone wrong. My issues is that at USC, it has been having issues lately with ALL the athletic program...not just the football team. IF Miami has anything negative, it's the lad story in litterally every sports news in America. Even here in the state, checkout this section from one of the columnist at the Miami Herald:

UF's Meyer has a tough balancing act - 05/15/2008 - MiamiHerald.com

I mean hell, one player for UF was caught using the credit card of A DEAD WOMAN, and you barely heard of it....now if a Miami player did this....LOL...are you kidding me?? ESPN would supercede ANY STORY to put this fron and center....

Gator accused of using dead woman's credit card - Game on - USATODAY.com

You gotta take the good with the bad ...
Who is it that gave them the nickname The U (trying to make it sound like they are better than the rest) Thug U same situation, if you want to be known by a nickname when it's all good and your winning, you gotta take the heat for when the bad things happen.

When Clarett ( I promised myself I would never mention thatname again, years ago) had his run in, it was minor compared to whats going on with USC.
But the NCAA and the lead story EVERY NIGHT was about it.
Us Buckeyes supporters had to deal with that for what 2 years with that stuff thrown down our throats.

I think eventually when everything settles out, USC will get thiers too, but it will be glossed over ..../
As Digital Dude says :
University of Spoiled Children :D

Jimbo

Who is it that gave them the nickname The U (trying to make it sound like they are better than the rest) Thug U same situation, if you want to be known by a nickname when it's all good and your winning, you gotta take the heat for when the bad things happen.

When Clarett ( I promised myself I would never mention thatname again, years ago) had his run in, it was minor compared to whats going on with USC.
But the NCAA and the lead story EVERY NIGHT was about it.
Us Buckeyes supporters had to deal with that for what 2 years with that stuff thrown down our throats.

I think eventually when everything settles out, USC will get thiers too, but it will be glossed over ..../
As Digital Dude says :
University of Spoiled Children :D

Jimbo

I have a feeling when Ohio State plays USC in September, it;s going to be VERY BIG on SatelliteGuys.

To understand the NCAA penatly system, you must ask two questions.

"Is the school 'southern' ? "

"Is the school a 'traditional power' ? "

Southern traditional powers caught cheating get minor penalties.

Not traditonal powers who have moved up caught cheating get minor penalties.

Southern and not traditional powers get major penalties.

Non southern traditional powers receive no penalties.

USC is not southern, despite the name, and it is a traditional power, so it will receive no penalty.

To understand the NCAA penatly system, you must ask two questions.

"Is the school 'southern' ? "

"Is the school a 'traditional power' ? "

Southern traditional powers caught cheating get minor penalties.

Not traditonal powers who have moved up caught cheating get minor penalties.

Southern and not traditional powers get major penalties.

Non southern traditional powers receive no penalties.

USC is not southern, despite the name, and it is a traditional power, so it will receive no penalty.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Care to explain further ???
So if your a Southern team (and what does that have to do with anything ?) you can do whatever you want and not have to worry about penalties ?

USC is definatly NOT a Northern team, I would say LA in farther south than , say Michigan or even Tennesee for example, How is USC not a southern team.

Jimbo

"Southern" as I am using the term dies out somewhere in the sands of New Mexico. Southern as a culture. Yes, SOUTHERN California is bordered by Mexico, and is thus further South than Kentucky. But Kentucky is a southern state, and California is not.

If, a non-traditional power who has had the audacity to try to move up in the world, and further had the gaul to be southern did the things Ohio State, USC, or Syracuse did, say East Carolina or Troy State or Central Florida, they would get the death penalty.

"Southern" as I am using the term dies out somewhere in the sands of New Mexico. Southern as a culture. Yes, SOUTHERN California is bordered by Mexico, and is thus further South than Kentucky. But Kentucky is a southern state, and California is not.

If, a non-traditional power who has had the audacity to try to move up in the world, and further had the gaul to be southern did the things Ohio State, USC, or Syracuse did, say East Carolina or Troy State or Central Florida, they would get the death penalty.

Not if they were in the SEC.

Jimbo

Jimbo....you gotta be kidding me....how is that ANY DIFFERENT to "THE Ohio State University"? :confused::confused::confused: :rolleyes:

Do you even KNOW why they nickname Univeristy of Miami "The U"??!!

I think USC needs to be punished ndput o probation for the Reggie Bush situation but what exactly did Lil Romeo do

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts