Why no AMC HD? (Now Live Sept 9th)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What channel is A&E?
I'm an HD snob and don't have it in my favorites.:)
It will be in there tomorrow.:)

trollbgsk8.jpg

troll.jpg

Does anyone know if I have AMC in one of my favorite channel lists will the HD version automatically replace the SD version or will I have to do that manually?

If your current mode is set to one of your favorites, you will have to manually add AMC HD.

Please stop hiding behind a keyboard calling people trolls. If you disagree with a post and have an argument or facts to dispute a claim made by someone else, then make it. Otherwise you just sound like a bully with no other defense than to call someone a name...

Regarding "niche", substitute "NFL" for anything else. If someone did a blind test and gave information only stating that 12% of the market asks for and pays for Product X, you would probably think the product is (A) expensive or (B) desirable only to a few. If you don't know the price of the product, you'd probably go with (B) - it's not desirable to everyone. On that basis, you might think Product X is a niche product.

In this case, we know DIRECTV pays a boat-load of money to the NFL for rights to Sunday Ticket, and DIRECTV charges a lot of money to subscribers to get it. I have no reason to believe or dispute the claim that only 12% of subscribers sign up for DIRECTV, but I suppose anyone can go look at the latest DIRECTV financial report to find out the facts. If the 12% claim is true, I would say that YES, Sunday Ticket is a niche market. It appeals to only an eighth of the customers, so yes, it's niche. (It can also be argued that 12% of the total subscriber base is still a HIGH number, so is it really niche? Define "niche".)

However, this is a prestige product that tends to attract more loyal sports fans, willing to spend money to get the package. DIRECTV gets to boast about it, making itself a more desirable provider to those interested in sports. I have no facts to back this up, but I'd bet many of those willing to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket also pay for PPV and have MRV and have higher-end monthly packages with at least one Premiere channel.

So ... NFL Sunday Ticket may be niche, but the niche-ness of the package comes with a lot of plusses for DIRECTV. Compared to just a standard niche SD-to-HD channel, I don't see many channels having the same prestige that would make DIRECTV want to go out and get it, just to boast that it has it...

You know the bandwith argument really made some sense for me this past weekend, don't want to use sports channels as a example but last Saturday I commented on how much college football was in HD on all the rsn's I enjoyed it but it really sunk in for me how much hd is needed.

Just my two cents, again looking foward to what amc has to offer in hd

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

Please stop hiding behind a keyboard calling people trolls. If you disagree with a post and have an argument or facts to dispute a claim made by someone else, then make it. Otherwise you just sound like a bully with no other defense than to call someone a name...

Regarding "niche", substitute "NFL" for anything else. If someone did a blind test and gave information only stating that 12% of the market asks for and pays for Product X, you would probably think the product is (A) expensive or (B) desirable only to a few. If you don't know the price of the product, you'd probably go with (B) - it's not desirable to everyone. On that basis, you might think Product X is a niche product.

In this case, we know DIRECTV pays a boat-load of money to the NFL for rights to Sunday Ticket, and DIRECTV charges a lot of money to subscribers to get it. I have no reason to believe or dispute the claim that only 12% of subscribers sign up for DIRECTV, but I suppose anyone can go look at the latest DIRECTV financial report to find out the facts. If the 12% claim is true, I would say that YES, Sunday Ticket is a niche market. It appeals to only an eighth of the customers, so yes, it's niche. (It can also be argued that 12% of the total subscriber base is still a HIGH number, so is it really niche? Define "niche".)

However, this is a prestige product that tends to attract more loyal sports fans, willing to spend money to get the package. DIRECTV gets to boast about it, making itself a more desirable provider to those interested in sports. I have no facts to back this up, but I'd bet many of those willing to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket also pay for PPV and have MRV and have higher-end monthly packages with at least one Premiere channel.

So ... NFL Sunday Ticket may be niche, but the niche-ness of the package comes with a lot of plusses for DIRECTV. Compared to just a standard niche SD-to-HD channel, I don't see many channels having the same prestige that would make DIRECTV want to go out and get it, just to boast that it has it...

Although you didn't say who you were talking to, I'm assuming it's me. Your niche-not niche argument has some merit and I won't dispute your points. They are well thought out. However, as to calling Harshness a troll, you should go back and look at his posts in their entirety. He does on some occasions come to the Directv forums and post helpful information. However, he often comes here for no apparent reason other than to stir the pot. That is a troll in my book, and I will call it as I see it.

Although you didn't say who you were talking to, I'm assuming it's me. Your niche-not niche argument has some merit and I won't dispute your points. They are well thought out. However, as to calling Harshness a troll, you should go back and look at his posts in their entirety. He does on some occasions come to the Directv forums and post helpful information. However, he often comes here for no apparent reason other than to stir the pot. That is a troll in my book, and I will call it as I see it.
Agreed! That's what a troll is. A troll "hides behind a keyboard " and stirs the pot over and over.
I'm amazed this behavior is allowed. But again, let's not feed the trolls.

Just a follow up here. I don't hide behind the keyboard. My city and first name are in my posts. If you know anything about cars, you could easily figure out who I am. Harshness won't even use his name. BTW, I don't see your name in your posts either.

I've been busy the past couple of days so I haven't gotten a chance to comment on all of this so bare with me as this could be a long post. First off, let me just say that out of the 20 or so HD channels that Dish has and Direct doesn't have, only a handful of them are actually worth adding depending on what you watch. They include the following:
AMC HD
BBC America HD
truTV HD
E! HD
Style HD
History International HD
Investigation Discovery HD

The rest of them are nice to have but I'm not going to cry over it if a TV provider doesn't carry them. Now for those who have been wanting E! and Style HD, we know there's been some bad blood between Comcast and D*. Whether those two can make peace with each other only time will tell, but in the meantime, thanks to the Comcast-NBC merger, I've already noticed that some of the shows from those two channels are being re-broadcasted on Bravo. Since D* has Bravo HD, that should satisfy some of the needs of those who want to have E! and Style in HD.

Now for those who have been crying over QVC HD, HSN HD or even, for example, the C-SPAN channels in HD need to relax and get real because the only people who actually watch those are those that need to get a life. Look, I get it. We all want every channel to be in HD and just kill off SD completely and we'll get to that point eventually. But at the end of the day it all comes down to one thing: money. How much money are the providers willing to invest in as much HD as possible without screwing up the PQ or ruining any other experiences? Obviously that answer is up to each TV provider and at this rate, it'll probably take another 5 years to get literally everything in HD plus an additional 5 years to kill off SD completely. The only thing we can do is just be patient and enjoy the ride.

Now that I got that off my chest, let's look at what to expect tomorrow with AMC HD:
1. Original programming in HD and since the PQ looks good on Dish, I'm sure it'll look better on D*.
2. Most if not all movies are in HD but the PQ may vary from movie to movie depending on how old the film is.
3. Shows like the three stooges are shown in true SD with the black bars.

Let me just conclude by saying that I'm actually happy that you guys are getting AMC HD tomorrow. Hopefully D* has finally woken up and they will continue to add more basic, important HD channels in the near future.

Now for those who have been crying over QVC HD, HSN HD or even, for example, the C-SPAN channels in HD need to relax and get real because the only people who actually watch those are those that need to get a life.
That made me laugh, but is so true. Other then the channels mentioned above for me I would also like to get the other HD Xtra pack channels such as Epix ect,ect and the wife wants her LMN HD and the kids want The Hub HD/Sprout HD. Maybe in all in good time.

AMC HD is up and running...with a early mornng informercial, looking foward to watching this channel a bit later!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks for proving my point. You are your own worst enemy. Why do you bother coming to the Directv forum anyway? Most of the time you have nothing positive to say, so why say it at all?

Last edited:
I'd like DIY hd. Amy Matthews in hd! There's something about a woman in a tool belt! ;)

raoul5788 said:
I'd like DIY hd. Amy Matthews in hd! There's something about a woman in a tool belt! ;)

I agree man caves would be much better in HD

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)