Why no AMC HD? (Now Live Sept 9th)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gcwilliams

Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Seattle, WA
I think I know the answer to this question - it's a matter of available space. But doesn't it seem odd that DTV claims to have the most HD channels but doesn't feature the network of "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad", "The Walking Dead", and "The Killing" in HD?

I think I know the answer to this question - it's a matter of available space. But doesn't it seem odd that DTV claims to have the most HD channels but doesn't feature the network of "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad", "The Walking Dead", and "The Killing" in HD?

Some say its not so much a space issue. Its most likely a money issue.

Direc might not want to pay for it.

Yeah, I would like them to add it. Dish has it and Comcast has it in my area also. I am not really looking forward to watching The walking dead in standard def.:eek:

gcwilliams said:

The last survey I saw Directv do asking about HD channels AMC wasn't listed. When asked, it was because they already want to ad it, or have plans to ad it. I think it is more likely that they want to add it but haven't come to a contract agreement.

I personally watch quite a bit of the original shows on AMC, and they look terrible in SD, I would love to have AMCHD.

I sure once all the current contracts expire then we will see AMC HD. I can't see DirecTV not getting both at that time.

It looks great and is one of the main reasons I left D* and went to Comcast, until D* adds it I will not return no matter how many great win back offers they send me.

The other channel that looks great in HD is BBC America, it is the best picture in HD I have seen.

Thanks for all the replies. I should have realized up front that it's usually not so much an issue of available space anymore, but rather dollars and cents.

When I look at my DirecTV channel lineup, I often ask myself how many of these channel do I actually watch? Mind you, I don't mean to pick on DirecTV; the same can surely be said of Dish Network and the various cable systems. That said, wouldn't it be great if satellite and cable providers offered customers a la carte programming? IOW, let me choose the channels I want to watch. Charge me based on the number and/or type and simply let the market decide.

Ah, but there's that old saying, attributed to George Carlin IIRC, that says the only choices we truly have are "paper or plastic?"

I thought I read somewhere that D* offered the AMC shows in HD on whatever their equivalent of On Demand is. (Sorry, I'm a new D* subscriber, so don't know all the terminology - my system isn't even installed yet.) Is that true and does anyone know how it works, if so?

Im really sick of people bickering about these channels not in HD. lol, Google and figure out Usenet and get yourself at Newsgroup reader. There is a quadrillion files to download off Usenet and get all the HD your missing for free

Im really sick of people bickering about these channels not in HD. lol, Google and figure out Usenet and get yourself at Newsgroup reader. There is a quadrillion files to download off Usenet and get all the HD your missing for free

Not the point. It is a reasonable question to people who are not regulars to the forum. While we have seen the question argued to pieces, I have yet to see an answer other than "because they don't and if you don't like it bad." Doesn't mean it has not been answered but searching can be a daunting task for some.

There are big time rumors going around that AMC HD will be added right after Labor Day.
Hopefully those rumors become true for you guys. But it kind of makes me wonder that if they'll add more HD channels from Rainbow Media like IFC HD and WE HD along with AMC HD. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Switch to Dish. Problem solved.

Hopefully those rumors become true for you guys. But it kind of makes me wonder that if they'll add more HD channels from Rainbow Media like IFC HD and WE HD along with AMC HD. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm wondering if D* will ever add ANY new HD channels PERIOD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)