Why no AMC HD? (Now Live Sept 9th)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There's only about 15-20 mainstream 'basic' channels (that actually have an HD feed) that they're missing right now.
What does "mainstream" have to do with quality or desirability?

I guarantee that a good chunk of the DIRECTV subscriber base would get a big kick out of MavTV.

This does not sound accurate. Does anyone have any info to support it?

You're right, I had a little dyslexia. It's two HD for every 3 SD. MPEG4 HD is roughly 5x smaller than MPEG2 HD, with no noticeable loss of PQ. 1 MPEG4 HD stream is roughly equivalent to 1.5 MPEG2 SD streams.

I guarantee that a good chunk of the DIRECTV subscriber base would get a big kick out of MavTV.

Absolutely nothing to do with quality, everything to do with desirability. Case in point, E!. It's trash, but it's mainstream trash, therefore it's desirable. And you can't guarantee crap, because MAV is nothing more than a clone of Spiketv's hacky crap with ratings about as poor.

And you can't guarantee crap, because MAV is nothing more than a clone of Spiketv's hacky crap with ratings about as poor.
The boundless confidence with which you describe MavTV belies the fact that you've probably never seriously auditioned it.

The boundless confidence with which you describe MavTV belies the fact that you've probably never seriously auditioned it.

I haven't seen it, but looking at the lineup, it does have a Spike flavor to it. Perhaps you could give us your opinion of it with some specifics.

JerseyMatt is stretching himself, ludicrously, over the use of the word mainstream, and his limitation thereof with just 15 that are missing (no, there are plenty more beyond that number!), given DirecTV added Shorts HD earlier this year (and is supposed to be adding Punch TV, in SD, as well).

JerseyMatt is stretching himself, ludicrously, over the use of the word mainstream, and his limitation thereof with just 15 that are missing (no, there are plenty more beyond that number!), given DirecTV added Shorts HD earlier this year (and is supposed to be adding Punch TV, in SD, as well).

And neither you nor harshness would understand the meaning of the word 'niche' if it ran up and kicked you in the balls.

It looks great and is one of the main reasons I left D* and went to Comcast, until D* adds it I will not return no matter how many great win back offers they send me.

The other channel that looks great in HD is BBC America, it is the best picture in HD I have seen.

My 2 cents worth! I believe DTV has many of its customers currently locked in a contract so there’s no incentive for them to spend even just a dime on programming upgrades i.e. HD. The sad truth is that this type of behavior may work for the short term but in the long run it would be disastrous for the business. If a company hides behind contracts and no longer provides values to its customers there is really no incentive for customer to stay.

I haven't seen it, but looking at the lineup, it does have a Spike flavor to it. Perhaps you could give us your opinion of it with some specifics.
I encourage you to compare the daily schedules of SpikeTV and MavTV and see which is the channel you might rather have.

SpikeTV is a channel in meteoric decline.

And somehow the likes of NFL ST or MLBEI doesn't play to a decidedly limited audience?

I would hardly consider the male population a limited audience! In truth, not all men watch football or baseball, and many women do, but to say it's a limited audience seems rather foolish to me.

And neither you nor harshness would understand the meaning of the word 'niche' if it ran up and kicked you in the balls.

I'll help you, and your "balls," to understand that your estimate of "15" is neither accurate or credible. A lineup isn't all one thing. Creating an argument by distinguishing between mainstream and niche, as if just one is worthy, doesn't matter. (Especially not after DirecTV used precious remaining bandwidth to add Shorts HD which, by no stretch of one's imagination, could be passed off as "mainstream.")

Channels in DirecTV's 200s/300s:
1) AMC HD
2) BBC America HD
3) Bloomberg Television HD
4) Centric HD
5) Cooking Channel HD
6) C-Span HD
7) C-Span 2 HD
8) DIY Network HD
9) E! Entertainment Television HD
10) EWTN HD
11) Fox Movie Channel HD
12) Fuse HD
13) gmc HD
14) GSN HD (more than half-owned by DirecTV)
15) Headline News HD
16) History International HD
17) Home Shopping Network HD
18) The Hub HD
19) Investigation Discovery HD
20) Jewelry Television HD
21) Lifetime Movie Network HD
22) Logo HD
23) NASA HD
24) Nat Geo Wild HD
25) Oprah Winfrey Network HD
26) Ovation HD
27) Oxygen HD
28) PBS Kids Sprout HD
29) QVC HD
30) Reelz Channel HD
31) RFD HD
32) Style Network HD
33) TBN HD
34) TCC HD
35) TCT HD
36) truTV HD
37) Turner Classic Movies HD
38) TV Guide Network HD
39) TV One HD
40) We TV HD

Channel in the 400s:
41) Galavision HD

Channels in the 500s:
42) IFC HD
43) OuterMax HD

Channels in the 600s:
44) Outdoor Channel HD
45) Sportsman Channel HD

Last edited:
I'll help you, and your "balls," to understand that your estimate of "15" is neither accurate or credible. A lineup isn't all one thing. Creating an argument by distinguishing between mainstream and niche, as if just one is worthy, doesn't matter. (Especially not after DirecTV used precious remaining bandwidth to add Shorts HD which, by no stretch of one's imagination, could be passed off as "mainstream.")

1) AMC HD
2) BBC America HD

4) Centric HD
5) Cooking Channel HD
6) C-Span HD
7) C-Span 2 HD
8) DIY Network HD
10) EWTN HD
11) Fox Movie Channel HD
12) Fuse HD
13) gmc HD
15) Headline News HD

18) The Hub HD

22) Logo HD
23) NASA HD
24) Nat Geo Wild HD

26) Ovation HD
27) Oxygen HD
28) PBS Kids Sprout HD
29) QVC HD
30) Reelz Channel HD
31) RFD HD
32) Style Network HD
33) TBN HD
34) TCC HD
35) TCT HD
36) truTV HD

38) TV Guide Network HD
39) TV One HD
40) We TV HD

Channel in the 400s:
41) Galavision HD

Channels in the 500s:
42) OuterMax HD
43) IFC HD

Channels in the 600s:
44) Sportsman Channel HD
45) Outdoor Channel HD
The ones that are bolded are the ones that I think have the best the chance of being added onto D* based on high demand and/or the relationship between D* and the programmers. Don't expect any channels that are owned by Comcast to be added (Like E! or Style) as D* and Comcast practically hate each other right now.

1) AMC HD
2) BBC America HD
4) Centric HD
5) Cooking Channel HD
6) C-Span HD
7) C-Span 2 HD
8) DIY Network HD
10) EWTN HD
11) Fox Movie Channel HD
12) Fuse HD
13) gmc HD
15) Headline News HD
18) The Hub HD
22) Logo HD
23) NASA HD
24) Nat Geo Wild HD
26) Ovation HD
27) Oxygen HD
28) PBS Kids Sprout HD
29) QVC HD
30) Reelz Channel HD
31) RFD HD
32) Style Network HD
33) TBN HD
34) TCC HD
35) TCT HD
36) truTV HD
38) TV Guide Network HD
39) TV One HD
40) We TV HD

Channel in the 400s:
41) Galavision HD

Channels in the 500s:
42) IFC HD
43) OuterMax HD

Channels in the 600s:
44) Outdoor Channel HD
45) Sportsman Channel HD

Right.. First of all,

WAY TO PAD THE LIST WITH QVC, HSN, AND JEWELRY TV YET AGAIN!

NOBODY gives a rat's ass about them and they should NEVER be given ANY HD bandwidth, EVER. So stop including them in your feeble arguments.

Second, you can skip all those damn church and government channels too. Waste of bandwidth.

Third, another big chunk are NICHE (you know, that word you can't seem to wrap your head around). Centric, RFDTV, Logo, OWN, etc. Not to mention they are in a premium tier on Dish.

Then there's the Comcast channels that it's pretty much guaranteed at this point that we'll never get.

It's basically confirmed that we're getting AMC next week.

So when you pare all those out, we're down to what.. 15?

Last edited:
Man, I really hope they don't add all these channels listed above and drop the picture QUALITY ....

I'm not sure there are 10 channels in that list that are worth spending bandwidth on....

I really would rather have them add a few MAJOR channels than all the crap being talked about here.

I, in NO WAY want D* the "Leader in HD" if thats what you want to argue about, just so they can SAY they are, in number.

I want them to be the Leader in HD Picture QUALITY.

Status
Please reply by conversation.