Why no netflix on the joey 4k but it's on the joey 2.0?

Riker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Why release it if it's not up to par. Why release things but they are not functional only to have to send updates to activate them (ethernet transfer of recordings from one hopper to another?)

Reactions: Rixos
Because They want Netflix to certify it for the most amount of users. There are a lot more H3 users out there then 4K Joey users.

Once it's certified for the H3 then they will work in the 4K Joey.

Dish is kind of stuck sitting on their hands on this one as its all in Netflix's hands.

Return the 4k Joey and get a Joey 2.0 or wait? Just can't believe they'd release it without having the feature.

Return the 4k Joey and get a Joey 2.0 or wait? Just can't believe they'd release it without having the feature.
I would wait. The 4k Joey is much faster than the Joey 2.0. This situation, although annoying, is pretty standard nowadays. Whether it's a cell phone or a coffee machine. The company can't win. Either way, people complain cause it's not released yet or people complain cause it's released and doesn't work correctly. I agree that everything should be released in a timely manner with limited bugs, but that just ain't gonna happen,.

Reactions: Tampa8
The answer really is you may not understand how Apps are developed and how they work.
Just because the App works on the H3 does not mean that same App necessarily works on the Joey. I can see differences in the Amazon app for example on my Smart TV, to my Fire Stick, to my Roku and on the Tivo. It isn't the same exact App.
Now, the 4K Joey is not the same as the 2.0 Joey and it is very possible the 2.0 Netflix App would not work on the 4K Joey. It makes no sense to work on that older app for the little time it would be needed, when they are working on the new 4K Joey App which I guarantee is different in how it works. Not to mention all the other devices they have to get the 4K app to.

I hope you are not suggesting DISH should not have come out with the 4K Joey because there is no Netflix app yet....

It might help people to think of it like a phone or PC. Apple wouldn't withhold release of a new iPhone just because Netflix didn't have their app ready to go for the new phone. It's great that Dish has opened up their software to 3rd parties like Netflix in the first place. Just because some apps aren't available yet, doesn't make the future any less bright.

I guess I'm saying that they released the transfer of recordings from hopper to hopper via ethernet app, and its there but doesn't work. Things like that annoy me. I tried for four hours trying to get it to work only to find it's there but not functional. Why not just release a fully functional one when ready? And they use things like that/ netflix as selling points/locking you into a contract.

While it will be nice to have Yet Another Netflix Device, I'm not too worried that my 4K Joey doesn't have Netflix yet. I'm in the "I want it to work well" camp and not the "I want it at any cost" camp. My 4K Joey is connected to my 40" Sony Bravia that has Netflix as a built in App. Heck, the remote even has a red Netflix button on it!
Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 12.12.12 PM.png
And then there's my AppleTV with Netflix, and my Blu-Ray player, and... well, you get the idea. If I want to watch Netflix, the fact it isn't available on my 4K Joey is not a show-stopper.

But, I admit, it does make like simpler for the more technology-challenged members of the household. As nice as that Netflix button is on the TV, the Netflix App on the AppleTV blows it out of the water speed-wise. I'm hoping the 4K Joey's Netflix App is just as fast and usable.

The only reason I got the 4K Joey is for the PIP. So I guess I'll gripe about that.
me too!!! I had 2 HWSs and each had PIP . I went to an H3 and 4k Joey to duplicate the PIP ability. I use PIP all the time to watch sports. So now I wait for 4K Joey PIP and the H3's promised settable 4HD multiview screen. I hope it will not be like the wait for the never happening full 2 Hopper integration.

Reactions: TheLip
Just wanted to say YAMWN Yet an other Month with out Netflix on the Joey 4K, not sure why I paid $50 extra for these boxes when they cant even do Netflix like a Joey 2.0
Just does not seem right.

Reactions: Rixos
I am still waiting for PIP on the 4K Joey. I also would like Netflix. Netflix must be a pain for developers to work with,. My newer Vizeo 4k gets Netflix fine. However, my older Vizeo 3d HDTV gets an error message that their is no internet connection . However, all my other apps work fine using an internet connection to the same smart TV. So I have to revert to option 3 to get Netflix , my Blu Ray player. Now talk about remote control overload. Maybe we should all call in to get our $50 back.

I don't think Dish is being upfront with people when they push products without full functions. Both Netflix and Amazon have 4k content. Isn't that what the 4k Joey is supposed to do? My 'other half' is so far beyond being technically adept at anything, she just found out what Bluetooth is. Still doesn't know how to set it up on anything.. Thought it was a dental disease.
I get so irritated w/ Dish - half the time customer service has no clue. Nothing has been added to the menu's or content on any part of the system since I upgraded almost a year ago. 1 H3, 1 joey, 1 4k joey, and one wireless joey. None of the same things are on any of them.

Reactions: stardust3
I don't think Dish is being upfront with people when they push products without full functions. Both Netflix and Amazon have 4k content. Isn't that what the 4k Joey is supposed to do? My 'other half' is so far beyond being technically adept at anything, she just found out what Bluetooth is. Still doesn't know how to set it up on anything.. Thought it was a dental disease.
I get so irritated w/ Dish - half the time customer service has no clue. Nothing has been added to the menu's or content on any part of the system since I upgraded almost a year ago. 1 H3, 1 joey, 1 4k joey, and one wireless joey. None of the same things are on any of them.
What works differently on the WJ and the 2.0?

Both Netflix and Amazon have 4k content. Isn't that what the 4k Joey is supposed to do?
I don't think Amazon's receivers support 4K Amazon content, just Netflix and Dish's own at this point.
Nothing has been added to the menu's or content on any part of the system since I upgraded almost a year ago.
Dish has pushed numerous updates to the 4K Joey, and all of their Hopper-family receivers. Just because you don't see a menu change, doesn't mean anything.

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)