Why programs not shown in hd?

robk299

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Cahokia, IL
My local Fox station has syndicated programming on weekends. None of them are shown in hd, even though the program guide and, in the case of Pets.TV, the logo has "hd" in it. Why would that be? Is it a case that the local station just doesn't pay for the hd version?

Why don't you ask your local Fox station. They would be the best to answer your question. All we can provide here is speculation.....

I posted on Facebook with no answer yet, probably won't get one.

Speculation is fine, I just want to know possible reasons.

One of the biggest is that the station doesn't have HD recording equipment for timeshifting of syndicated material. The normal feeds come through and can be passed direct.

yup thats what it is. The station doesnt have HD recording equipment

Our local CW is the same way. Unless its national programming it wont be shown in HD here locally
The CBS and Fox I can pull OTA from 72 miles away (Mankato, MN)...same thing. As example Dr Fraud (errr Phil) is in HD on WCCO Minneapolis (local CBS) but not KEYC Mankato (the distant one) yet Price is Right is shown in HD on both

I doubt an HD recorder costs that much, seems like a pretty basic need of a TV station now, especially one of the big 4.

I don't think that's the case. My local ABC station just recently went HD on their local news broadcast. They also show the world nightly news (6:30pm eastern slot) in HD. But Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune that comes on after the news is shown in SD. Although both show an HD symbol and say its in HD at the beginning of the broadcast.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I don't think that's the case. My local ABC station just recently went HD on their local news broadcast. They also show the world nightly news (6:30pm eastern slot) in HD. But Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune that comes on after the news is shown in SD. Although both show an HD symbol and say its in HD at the beginning of the broadcast.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Jeopardy and Wheel are both syndicated shows. A few years back my local ABC station, KGO San Francisco, needed to get the recording equipment to be able to broadcast these shows in HD.... The nightly news was always shown in HD along with the local news. It's the syndication that causes the need for the extra equipment.

It comes down to there are different types of encryption and equipment needed to get the various syndicated feeds in HD and then time shift them. The station most likely doesn't have funds available to upgrade everything. Its not as cheap or easy as plugging a Tivo in and recording the feed for later playback

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)