WHY...should I upgrade to the H-20 and AT-9 RIGHT NOW?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jalegria11

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Centreville, VA
Hello everyone, I am somehow new at this... I jumped into the HD wagon a week and a half ago... and I am already thinking of upgrading! :eek:

I currently have a (week and a half old) H-10, and a (3-year-old) three LNB dish, and everything works great!
Great signal, fine HD programming package, and $5 off for the next 6 months.

I do not get any OTA channels after I tried using a Terk amplified HD indoor antenna without any success (no signal). I am in Centreville, VA on ground level in an apartment building. It seems the DC HD OTA channels are not close enough. And per antennaweb.org info. it was recommended to use a "LARGE" antenna which is out of the question.

Yesterday, I called D* and told them how miserable I felt for not being able to watch the Music Awards or the upcoming Torino Olympic games in HD.

I ended up agreeing on an "upgrade" appointment (2/20) for the H-20 and the AT-9 and a "new... 2 year-agreement" ... :rolleyes:

The upfront charge was 99.00 (install charge) + 14.95 (handling) + .75 (tax...)
After reading I could knock off some money off this charge or maybe...get it free, D* ended up taking off $50.00.

My grand "upgrade" total + installation for the H-20 and AT-9 comes at $64.70 which is definitely cheaper than buying the AT-9 on e-B* or going through the runaround of buying a new H-20 and then getting a $200 rebate check from D* before 2/28.

After all,

Why should I upgrade now? Should I wait?

I am still not 100% sure if I should change my MPEG-2 "new-perfectly-working OTA-less" HD set-up...

Is there better image quality on SD and HD channels with this upgrade?

Or is it mainly an upgrade "for upcoming MPEG-4 HD use" and the "upgrade catch" is getting your local HD channels included in your HD package?

"To upgrade, or not to upgrade"
:confused:

JA

I don't think D* is offering your locals yet, unless their from another city.
If you cannot get locals from the D dish, I would just keep the situation you have.

Let some of the things going down at the moment shake it self out....
after March 1st you should be able to rent receivers as well, therefore you would not have the out of pocket expense.

Jimbo

If you are able to get MPEG4 signals from the Washington metro area as seems to be the case from your comment about OTA signals, then you will be better off by far than you are now. I believe you will have to sign up for local into local service via satellite. The H20 signal is better than I experienced with my Sammy 360.

Dana

Jimbos said:
I don't think D* is offering your locals yet, unless their from another city.
If you cannot get locals from the D dish, I would just keep the situation you have.

Let some of the things going down at the moment shake it self out....
after March 1st you should be able to rent receivers as well, therefore you would not have the out of pocket expense.

Jimbo

Centreville = FairFax county = D.C. locals.

I checked the D* site: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/LocalChannels.jsp
(20121) and it was also confirmed by the D* rep) and there are local OTA HD channels available for the Washington DC market. ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS.

By the way, does anyone know if PBS and UPN are included in other D* local HD markets?

I currently get my local "unwatchable"... SD channels with my D* package.
That's why I am tempted... to upgrade... after seeing the difference!

How is the H20 superior? (Besides the MPEG-4 capability)
Is there a better picture for SD channels, and any noticeable improvement on HD channels?

Thanx for your comments!
I still have about 8-10 days to decide...

jalegria11 said:
Hello everyone, I am somehow new at this... I jumped into the HD wagon a week and a half ago... and I am already thinking of upgrading! :eek:

I currently have a (week and a half old) H-10, and a (3-year-old) three LNB dish, and everything works great!
Great signal, fine HD programming package, and $5 off for the next 6 months.

I do not get any OTA channels after I tried using a Terk amplified HD indoor antenna without any success (no signal). I am in Centreville, VA on ground level in an apartment building. It seems the DC HD OTA channels are not close enough. And per antennaweb.org info. it was recommended to use a "LARGE" antenna which is out of the question.

Yesterday, I called D* and told them how miserable I felt for not being able to watch the Music Awards or the upcoming Torino Olympic games in HD.

I ended up agreeing on an "upgrade" appointment (2/20) for the H-20 and the AT-9 and a "new... 2 year-agreement" ... :rolleyes:

The upfront charge was 99.00 (install charge) + 14.95 (handling) + .75 (tax...)
After reading I could knock off some money off this charge or maybe...get it free, D* ended up taking off $50.00.

My grand "upgrade" total + installation for the H-20 and AT-9 comes at $64.70 which is definitely cheaper than buying the AT-9 on e-B* or going through the runaround of buying a new H-20 and then getting a $200 rebate check from D* before 2/28.

After all,

Why should I upgrade now? Should I wait?

I am still not 100% sure if I should change my MPEG-2 "new-perfectly-working OTA-less" HD set-up...

Is there better image quality on SD and HD channels with this upgrade?

Or is it mainly an upgrade "for upcoming MPEG-4 HD use" and the "upgrade catch" is getting your local HD channels included in your HD package?

"To upgrade, or not to upgrade"
:confused:

JA
You don't need a large antenna for D.C. locals.
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=TD-DB2

Works great in N.VA.

Thanks! Grydlok; that's where the dilemma comes...

If I order the DB2 HDTV antenna, hook it up, and suddenly I get the "4 major network channels" PLUS ALL THE OTHER digital channels available in the area including UPN, PBS, etc.

I probably would NOT upgrade.... :confused:

I could order it tomorrow, try it out, and then decide... before my 8-10 days are over... for the "upgrade" ....

I became so frustrated with the Terk antenna...
I spent several hours trying to get SOMETHING, and the highest signal strength I received was about 50... on a local Manassas channel... 66-*

That's where I need "TECH ADVICE".... if the DB2 antenna picks up the OTA channels, should I upgrade or not?

Thanks, once again!

JA

Well, if your only a week or two into the contract on the H10, go for it - you have a 2 year agreement, heck, if your lucky, and they don't take the old reciever, you might just end up with two of them. I'd say do it.

Actually, the H-10 I bought at a retail store and installed it myself.
They did say I could get my money back with that $200 rebate they offer.
I upgraded from a regular SD Phillips receiver; luckily from the beginning, back in 2003 the tech gave me a three LNB dish which I just now happened to use for HD.
They only said I had to commit to a year of HD programming, but if I go with the H-20/AT9 upgrade, that is where I would get into a "new 2-year commitment"...

If I go along with the upgrade, the H-10 would definitely stay with me, and maybe also the three LNB dish...?

As of now I have two choices; buy the:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=TD-DB2&xzoom=zoom#xview

DB2 antenna for $50.00 or upgrade everything for $64.70 ?

"To upgrade or not to upgrade"

That is the question...

HELP !!!

:(

I have the H20 and the Triple LNB. I use a DB2 antenna (hooked onto the side of my deck in the backyard) and get my OTA stations great (14 miles from the towers here in Motown). The H20 is VASTLY superior for OTA. The H10 was terrible when it came to OTA (at least in my case). We can get the Detroit locals in MPEG4, so I plan on getting the AT9/5LNB dish in the spring, just to be done with it.

That is true! maybe the H-10 OTA input components were made so they would not pick up enough signal.
I even hooked up an extra UHF amplifier... and still had a weak signal.
I kept seeing the signal on only ONE... non-HD OTA channel going from 50 to 0... and it would not stay.

Now when you say you can get your locals on MPEG-4; how do you know?
Is there a website which tells you if the channels are transmitted in MPEG-2 or-4 in your market?

Would that be the new craze... MPEG-4?
Is this the way D* will get ahead on the "dish" game?

Thanks to your comments I think I will stick with my "upgrade" appointment, and go from there, and maybe ALSO get the DB2 and get the best of ALL HD worlds!

:up

jalegria11 said:
That is true! maybe the H-10 OTA input components were made so they would not pick up enough signal.
I even hooked up an extra UHF amplifier... and still had a weak signal.
I kept seeing the signal on only ONE... non-HD OTA channel going from 50 to 0... and it would not stay.

Now when you say you can get your locals on MPEG-4; how do you know?
Is there a website which tells you if the channels are transmitted in MPEG-2 or-4 in your market?

Would that be the new craze... MPEG-4?
Is this the way D* will get ahead on the "dish" game?

Thanks to your comments I think I will stick with my "upgrade" appointment, and go from there, and maybe ALSO get the DB2 and get the best of ALL HD worlds!

Go with the antenna, you will be happier.

Mpeg4 will be the standard in a year or so, just now starting to roll out.
If you are in an area where it is available, you can get the new equipment...needed for mpeg4,
Suppose to be a beter overall picture, I have not seen mpeg4 in my area yet, so I cannot give an opinion on it,

I HOPE with the additional bandwidth, they use some to improve the SD as well, I know thay can do that ..Question is WILL they ?

Yes that is the way D* will get ahead IN the Dish Game.

btw, I don't expect to see the true offerings, everthing up and working the way D* hopes for, untill after the last Sat goes up and is up and running.
Evetything till that time, is still in the learning and changing stage.

Jimbo

Last edited:
jalegria11 said:
I checked the D* site: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/LocalChannels.jsp
(20121) and it was also confirmed by the D* rep) and there are local OTA HD channels available for the Washington DC market. ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS.

By the way, does anyone know if PBS and UPN are included in other D* local HD markets?

I currently get my local "unwatchable"... SD channels with my D* package.
That's why I am tempted... to upgrade... after seeing the difference!

How is the H20 superior? (Besides the MPEG-4 capability)
Is there a better picture for SD channels, and any noticeable improvement on HD channels?

Thanx for your comments!
I still have about 8-10 days to decide...

I do not believe that PBS stations or UPN are included in the MPEG4 package anywhere. My experience like other posters here is that the H20 PQ is superior across the board as compared with my old Sammy 360. And OTA reception is outstanding. You could have the best of both worlds with MPEG4 stations and OTA reception of others that are available with the H20.

Dana

IN.... :D

Now... do you think it would be a good idea to buy the DB2 antenna and have the installer take care of it?

Or should I request the "PIZZA" OTA antenna from D*?

My 3 LNB dish is actually installed on a pole inside a large plastic bucket full of cement. :eek:

Works great for an apartment! :up (no attachments to the building whatsoever!)
I always thought my landlord had some kind of deal with Comcast CABLE...
They kept bugging me about my dish...

What's funny! is how now I drive around my neighborhood, and see SEVERAL ground level apartments with MY SAME SETUP !!! :eek:

THE FAMOUS.... "DISH IN A BUCKET" !!!
( I should patent the idea!)
It definitely makes the dish "PORTABLE" and safe against the wind.

Now, back to my point.... can the DB2 be installed below the dish?

Also, to those who have the AT-9 (hopefully installed on a pole...)
What is the pole diameter?
My 3 LNB dish is right now installed on a 5.5 inch diameter pole.

Would it be possible to just take the 3 LNB off and exchange it with the AT-9?

Thanks once again, for all your replies!

jalegria11 said:
IN.... :D

Now... do you think it would be a good idea to buy the DB2 antenna and have the installer take care of it?

Or should I request the "PIZZA" OTA antenna from D*?

My 3 LNB dish is actually installed on a pole inside a large plastic bucket full of cement. :eek:

Works great for an apartment! :up (no attachments to the building whatsoever!)
I always thought my landlord had some kind of deal with Comcast CABLE...
They kept bugging me about my dish...

What's funny! is how now I drive around my neighborhood, and see SEVERAL ground level apartments with MY SAME SETUP !!! :eek:

THE FAMOUS.... "DISH IN A BUCKET" !!!
( I should patent the idea!)
It definitely makes the dish "PORTABLE" and safe against the wind.

Now, back to my point.... can the DB2 be installed below the dish?

Also, to those who have the AT-9 (hopefully installed on a pole...)
What is the pole diameter?
My 3 LNB dish is right now installed on a 5.5 inch diameter pole.

Would it be possible to just take the 3 LNB off and exchange it with the AT-9?

Thanks once again, for all your replies!

Go with the DB2 , instead of the pizza shaped one from D*, the ones D* sends generally are not very good.
Also, I would install the DB2 myself if possible, I doubt that D* would take responsability for mounting it ...

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Missing channels on my RCA E86

Best Recievers for HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)