Why some options are disabled

vlj9r

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Tampa Bay, Florida
I would like to know from insiders why the following options on the cable boxes and dvrs are turned off. When I call BHN their customer is clueless. It's obviuos that they want to keep your call length to a minimum in order to make their numbers look good.

1-front video and audio ports.
2-DVR's ability to record first run only shows.
3-ability to add an external HD to increase the capacity of the DVR

Rico

Well, I know for a fact that the ability to add an External HD to a 8300HD exists - so not sure what you are talking about there.

I also can record to DVR first run shows on a 8300HD.

With this in mind, where are you even seeing #1 Front Video and audio ports as the 8300HD has none.

Your questions make no sense with reality.

maybe, someone can add some thought here. i know the 8300hd dvr has the capacity to add an external hard drive too. but i've heard that its suppose to be a feature of the future? or can you hook a drive right now?

When I choose record on the guide, I do not get the option to record first run only, like a TIVO. My 8300HD has inputs on the front but they do not work. As for adding an external drive, I'll try it again and will post my results.

Jerry
Clearwater, FL

You are talking about automatically taking first runs and not repeat - not manually setting up a program to record that is first run. Never had a Tivo so I am not aware of that feature. The 8300 doesn't have the option afaik.

I assumed you were talking of some HD ports on the front - not SD ports - as it is a HD box - sorry for the confusion.

The external drive does work though.

Last edited:
fanatic,

i assumed you are using an external drive at present? sorry, if that sounds like a dumb question. what drive are you using and did you have to download software first?

i know on both of my dvr's (sd and hd), it asks me if i want to record first run only, or first run and repeats and even asks what showings i want to record.

HDTVFanAtic said:
You are talking about automatically taking first runs and not repeat - not manually setting up a program to record that is first run. Never had a Tivo so I am not aware of that feature. The 8300 doesn't have the option afaik.

I assumed you were talking of some HD ports on the front - not SD ports - as it is a HD box - sorry for the confusion.

The external drive does work though.

The 8300HD has the option to only record first runs and not repeats but it requires a software download. They show a piture of the menu on the scientific atlanta site. That is the frustrating part. Brighthouse has the chance to go head to head with DTV or TIVO and for whatever reason, they choose to keep some options off. Maybe in time they will turned them on like MRV. That is supposed to be available later this yr in Tampa area.

iceturkee said:
fanatic,

I assumed you are using an external drive at present? sorry, if that sounds like a dumb question. what drive are you using and did you have to download software first?

I know on both of my dvr's (sd and hd), it asks me if i want to record first run only, or first run and repeats and even asks what showings i want to record.

There is a long thread on the SA8300HD and an External Hard Drive in HD Recorders section on avsforum.

It is possible to get a cable, enclosure and hard drive seperately or you can just get an all in one unit at several places. BHN actually recommends:

http://discountechnology.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.13/it.A/id.220/.f

They have an eSATA drive that they are selling specifically for the SA8300. It works with all SARA systems and even comes with the right cable. However, they specifically say (about halfway down the page) that it is known to not be compatible with Brighthouse Cable. I'm assuming that is because somewhere Brighthouse is using another system but no changes are planned in this region of Florida.

Down at the bottom there is pictures of the cables you can click on.

The SATA extends the hard drive size counter in the display and you have no control when it get used.

The 8300HD has an external ESATA connector.

Now some of the hard drive mfg use the internal on there external drive units. ( Type A-sata ) internal connector you need a conversion cable ( Type A SATA to ESATA cable ) and some mfg use the external connector on there hard drive so you need ( ESATA to ESATA ).

It is locked or encrypted to the box but no drivers are needed to work the drive. When you hook the drive to the converter it put a msg up on the 8300 box asking you to format the drive. Then it tells you to reboot the 8300 box with the drive hooked up to sync it all together. When you move the drive to a new 8300 it starts all over again with a format and reboot so you cannot move data between 8300s.

So again, you need:

1) A Hard Drive
2) An External Enclosure
3) Type A SATA to ESATA cable

or you can get all 3 in one at the above url or others mentioned in the avsforum thread.

Let me check on the first run software upgrade.

thanks for the info hd, but i admit i'm confused. i clicked on the link you provided and it says it won't work with bhn boxes.......so i wonder how bhn recommends?

iceturkee said:
thanks for the info hd, but i admit i'm confused. i clicked on the link you provided and it says it won't work with bhn boxes.......so i wonder how bhn recommends?

reread what I said in my original post about that section.

You can choose record first run only (CFL all DVR boxs) goto list >> click red C buttun for series manger hit select on "series recording options" First option you see is"First Run or First run + repeats" Also back at the first menu yo ucan choose series repeat options and select specific days to record a show.

stevenl said:
You can choose record first run only (CFL all DVR boxs) goto list >> click red C buttun for series manger hit select on "series recording options" First option you see is"First Run or First run + repeats" Also back at the first menu yo ucan choose series repeat options and select specific days to record a show.

I guess you folks in Orlando have different software loaded on you DVR because the choice you mentioned in your message is not available to us in Clearwater.

Clearwater is the tampa division if this is the case then they donot use the same passport software we do... it operates different. but id assume it has that option =\ that would suck if it did not.. in oralndo we have it i use it for all my programs, as to not fill my box with 34923 repeats a day of "The Daily Show"

stevenl said:
Clearwater is the tampa division if this is the case then they donot use the same passport software we do... it operates different. but id assume it has that option =\ that would suck if it did not.. in oralndo we have it i use it for all my programs, as to not fill my box with 34923 repeats a day of "The Daily Show"

It sucks big time. Every other day I have to go around our two DVRs and delete all the repeats. I heard that we may getting new sotfware loaded on our units but I did not hear a time table.

jr

Well in the CFL Area, we are getting a new DVR with new software, and will be replaceing ALL customers dvrs with the new ones... maybe tampa is going to do the same and they are waiting ? not sure.

stevenl said:
Well in the CFL Area, we are getting a new DVR with new software, and will be replaceing ALL customers dvrs with the new ones... maybe tampa is going to do the same and they are waiting ? not sure.

The information that they are replacing all DVRs is incorrect.

They are replacing all the old analog STBs with digital units. Those STBs control will then be removed from the headends.

It has nothing to do with DVRs.

the analog stbs "smart boxs" are already obsolete they no longer get special channels and we dont replace them only pick them up and last i heard there as < 1000 of then in cirulation mainly old people who dont want to give it up... and yes they will be replaceing the DVR's.... dunno how soon but within the coming months..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)