Why stay with voom? Get HD DirecTV Tivo!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

haldol

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
I made the switch a couple of months ago and can't tell you how much I love it. Great install, great rates, now have BravoHD, and TIVO. Plus IT ALL WORKS ALL THE TIME with GREAT PICTURE QAULITY! The $1000 was well worth it to be able to actually watch what I want, when I want. I would really support switching. Voom is a group of nice people but they are FAR away from ever getting a functional PVR.

DirecTV Tivo Pros: It's good
DirecTV Tivo Cons: It costs $1,000

Waiting for Voom's DVR Pros: It's going to totally rule hard if it ever arrives and it hopefully won't cost $1,000
Waiting for Voom's DVR Cons: WHEN IS IT COMING?!?!?

A few channels that are still missing as of today:

Starz-HD
Encore-HD
TMC-HD
TNT-HD
Cinemax-HD

and I'll throw in for those who care:
Playboy-HD
FNS-FLHD
FNS-CLVHD (Soon)

I'll put the 21 Exclusives against HDnet and HDnet Movies (in my case these are hyped up too much).

Where's INHD 1 & 2? Get them and WOW me (I know VOOM does not have it either).

Why pay $1000 for Tivo? I won't and on top of that pay a subscription.

Yeah, D* has NLF Sunday Ticket in HD: I don't care to pay $200 for it. I get NBC-HD, ABC-HD, CBS-HD, WB-HD, PBS-HD, and soon (Fox-HD) + ESPN-HD will get me my Football HD fix.

There you go the reasons I won't change until D* matches and surpasses these options. Not enough to entice me, at least, yet.

Sean,
I think we need to put your response somewhere that people (like me) who really enjoy Voom can cut and paste your response when this type of topic come up. Very well said.

Is it possible that we could create a "I hate Voom" folder so these types of posts can originate there? :) LOL

Sean Mota said:
A few channels that are still missing as of today:

Starz-HD
Encore-HD
TMC-HD
TNT-HD
Cinemax-HD

and I'll throw in for those who care:
Playboy-HD
FNS-FLHD
FNS-CLVHD (Soon)

I'll put the 21 Exclusives against HDnet and HDnet Movies (in my case these are hyped up too much).

Where's INHD 1 & 2? Get them and WOW me (I know VOOM does not have it either).

Why pay $1000 for Tivo? I won't and on top of that pay a subscription.

Yeah, D* has NLF Sunday Ticket in HD: I don't care to pay $200 for it. I get NBC-HD, ABC-HD, CBS-HD, WB-HD, PBS-HD, and soon (Fox-HD) + ESPN-HD will get me my Football HD fix.

There you go the reasons I won't change until D* matches and surpasses these options. Not enough to entice me, at least, yet.

I'll agree that VaVaVoom probably beats D* and an HDTivo - assuming you have the time to work around the movie showtimes. I'm not much for watching a movie halfway through.

But for "regular" Voom - it's

TNT-HD and the 21 exclusives vs. HDNets and a DVR.

And according to "insider info" on this thread ...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=192744&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

Voom is in real trouble.

deArgila,

what can I say. Yes. I read through the entire thread here at satelliteguys D* forum. I guess we all have to wait and see. In the mean time, I still have VOOM and stand corrected on what I said before -- surpass the current V* HD programming and wow me!

My in-laws pay $80 a month for D* with HD, no HD-Tivo and Sunday Ticket.. for $30 more with VOom they could literally have triple the number of HD channels, and not cough up $1,000 on a limited warrantied item right now.

The biggest reason I've yet to go to DirecTV is that the start up costs are too large for HD owners.

I'd need 3 separate HD tuners in my house for my 3 HDTV's. I don't think there is any sort of deal for getting that kind of hardware out of DirecTV in any sort of deal. There is definitely no deal on the HD DirectTivo. That also doesn't address the fact, the I'd probably need recording capabilities on two televisions.

It's a toss up though. The VOOM DVR system will be sweet, but if they don't get their act together and offer COMCAST Sports Chicago it's going to be really hard to justify VOOM. I watch a ton of winter sports on that channel (mostly Bulls games). I need to have that channel in order to stay with VOOM through this winter.

Hopefully we'll get some more information soon. It's been so long since we've gotten any solid info about anything. I mean we have 2 Regions with Sports Networks now. What are the long term plans here?

Dvlos said:
My in-laws pay $80 a month for D* with HD, no HD-Tivo and Sunday Ticket.. for $30 with VOom they could literally have triple the number of HD channels, and not cough up $1,000 on a limited warrantied item right now.

Really, for $30? You could get all the channels they get?

Considering the base price for Voom is $49.90 + $9.50 1 IRD rental (+ $200 installation), and the price for D* is $36.99 for Total Choice (OTA for locals) + $10.99 for the HD package, I find that hard to believe.

Obviously, your in-laws subscribe to a few premium movie packages - which are another , what $15/mo each on Voom?

Clearly, that's not a very accurate comparison.

Hey Heavy how much to get just the bare HD coverage for your hometown sports on cable?

Yeah they do sub for premium channels, I said they pay $80 for 2 TVs, and one on HD. They could Vavavoom like I do for $112-120?? and have lots more HD than they do now. THey are also older and they love the Cinema10 channels a lot more than I do.

I was thinking of getting this unit, but I was unsire if it would handle any changes coming in October w/the larger HD rollout.

Dvlos said:
Yeah they do sub for premium channels, I said they pay $80 for 2 TVs, and one on HD. They could Vavavoom like I do for $112-120?? and have lots more HD than they do now. THey are also older and they love the Cinema10 channels a lot more than I do.

Look at your last post - that's not at all what you said.

Still, VaVaVoom WOULD give them more movie channels (not 3x) - but would cost an extra $40/mo.

Regardless, my main issue is that you claimed they could pay Voom $30/mo and get what they're getting plus more HD channels. Which isn't true.

occammd said:
I was thinking of getting this unit, but I was unsire if it would handle any changes coming in October w/the larger HD rollout.

Are you talking about the HDTivo?

The changes would only affect the satellite and switches - not your box. It's not like they're moving to WM9 or something.

My bad that was supposed to read "$30 MORE" they could triple their HD channels though, Voom would add in a nice OTA for them and they'd get all the HD channels I have. They are considering turning this month, I'll try to schmooze them into the old rate for this year.

haldol said:
Voom is a group of nice people but they are FAR away from ever getting a functional PVR.

Where do these people get their inside information? Do you work for Voom, Motorola?? Then how the heck would you know how far away they are??
DTV gotcha sucker!!! Your committed to a contract and lord knows how much money you've invested. You don't need to come on the board to justify blowing a $1000.00. Now go record your six HD choices.

Dvlos said:
My bad that was supposed to read "$30 MORE" they could triple their HD channels though, Voom would add in a nice OTA for them and they'd get all the HD channels I have. They are considering turning this month, I'll try to schmooze them into the old rate for this year.

Haha. Ok, that makes sense! :)

Dvlos said:
Hey Heavy how much to get just the bare HD coverage for your hometown sports on cable?

I need to check. Honestly, I don't even care if I get the games in HD right now. I just want to get the games. I think I'll fire off an email right now and check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts