Why stay with voom? Get HD DirecTV Tivo!

zubinh said:
I cant understand why people make a big deal about D* one year contract. My contract says if I cancel within a year, send back all of the equipment and I wont be charged anything! If I dont send back the boxes, then I get charged $150. So what? I could sell the boxes on ebay and recoup the $150. Not only that, the $150 is prorated and decreases by $12.50/month.

Is this really the "handcuffs" people are talking about?
I'm well aware of the lack of HD channels compared with DirecTV, however, I really must say that the *distinct* advantage is that I can watch RECORDED HD whenever I want. This makes DirecTV's cost worth it because I don't have a free enough schedule to sit in front of the TV waiting for a show to start. Plus, I never have to worry about not having service or spending the day on the phone with support or waiting for a tech to arrive or watching horrible SD quality. Don't get me wrong - if Voom gets a WORKING DVR anytime soon, they will have an advantage, but I seriously doubt that 1) it isn't going to be $500 or more to purchase and 2) it isn't going to be plagued with service problems like the rest of Vooms beta quality service.

I thought D*'s "handcuffs" was it relentless pursuit of SD channels that it throws on your chest until you can't breath. Then to keep you just alive enough to keep paying them more, they sprinkle some HD crack on your nose, sucker punch you in the nose and take $1,000 from you and hand you a HD TiVo and rosary beads to keep the sucker working for more than 2 years.

The only good thing to come out of Frances is that Hopefully Dvlos internet connection will be down for a few days. :yes

(Just Kidding Dvlos. I like playing devils advocate with you.) Now go outside and hang onto to that Voom Dish!

By the time the Voomers pay that $14.95 rental per receiver and now that $199.00 installation fee, it won't take long to where you could have bought a HD-Tivo. Not to mention that your rates recently went up didn't they? I will give Voom credit, on thier web site, I like to look at the "Now Playing" option. Voom gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "playing this month." Because you can bet, it will be playing all month, over and over and over again.
Great post earlier Sean. The last time I was here reading, weren't you one of the people that were ticked off with Voom and considering leaving? Hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

DobyMax said:
By the time the Voomers pay that $14.95 rental per receiver and now that $199.00 installation fee, it won't take long to where you could have bought a HD-Tivo. Not to mention that your rates recently went up didn't they? :

Excellent point.
VOOM can't be signing up many these days with their newest "promotion".
The monthly packages were bumped up 10 bucks (those already subscribing will get this price increase starting on 1/1/2005). Don't forget there is also now a $50 charge to install each additional receiver. The price of a plus pack went up as well from $15 to $20. Voom is pricing themselves out of the market.

DobyMax said:
Great post earlier Sean. The last time I was here reading, weren't you one of the people that were ticked off with Voom and considering leaving? Hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

I wonder if you can be the VOOM moderator on the "Internet's Largest Voom Forum" (now partly sponsored by VOOM) and NOT subscribe to VOOM?

"Why stay with voom? Get HD DirecTV Tivo! "

Because V* offers so much HD...even after D* releases their new HD channels /w multiple channels of FREE over-the-air network broadcast most people receive via an antenna or will not qualify to receive without a waiver. I don't have a DVR nor do I really want one other than to record Michigan football and Red Wing hockey; I keep busy and VOOM, OTA and the premium movie channels offer tons of HD material. I can usually find something worth watching.

As much as I hate cable, I return to Adelphia cable long before I would switch over to D* if a HD DVR and price were my main motives:

- Digital Cable for $29.95 for six months
- 2 free premium movie channels free for 6 months.
- No expensive HD equipment to buy
- No commitment
- DVR rental fee $7.95 per month= (cheaper than VOOMs STB)
- DVR recording fee $4.95 per month waived for 1 year
- 13 HD channels (4 free OTA network)
- 14th HD channel (Discovery) being added Sep/Oct
- More HD channels by the end of the year
- HD Pack $5 per month (INHD, INHD2, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN-HD, Discovery-HD)
- Plus, I would receive a $10 discount on my broadband internet cable bill.

So for the next 6 months, my cable bill ($49.20) will be $27 cheaper than VOOM service (minus VOOMs 21 Exclusives which I happen to like), but I will have a DVR and a fair amount of HD. Plus, I will also save $10 on my broadband bill ($39.20). Why would I pay $299 for an HD tuner or $1000 for an HD Tivo just to watch a few HD channels on D* when V* or cable provide better alternatives? If your answer is Sunday Ticket then forget it. I receive free OTA programming from 3 DMA and there are only so many games I can watch during a week (CBS, FOX, ABC, ESPN-HD, NFL-HD). I will more football that I can possibly watch and I really only give a crap about a handful of teams.

The wife already gave me permission to try the above special and maintain our VOOM subscription. There is no commitment so we will keep our options open pending VOOMs upcoming DVR release and network upgrades.

Oh, and since I can cancel a Plus Pack the real price of the above package is ($39.20-$14.90=$24.30) per month. Double oh, did I mention the HD DVR comes with active FIREWIRE ports, by law? Since I have a Mits RPTV, and the wife has blessed off on our buying an additional Mits DLP (I used the, "Winter is almost here and you don't want to freeze downstairs in the HT room once again" excuse :) ) so FIREWIRE is huge!!!

So I see no pressing need to go with D* or HD Tivo. I just hope the Scientific Atlanta 8000HD box isn't too horrible... :confused:

riffjim4069 said:
"Why stay with voom? Get HD DirecTV Tivo! "
As much as I hate cable, I would go back to Adelphia cable before I would switch over to D* if HD were my main motive:

Comcast cable has a similiar offering that I couldn't pass up.

txcruiser said:

I also am close to changing,Comcast here is offering me their everything pack for $49.95 til 2006 if I give up E*,they have all the movie networks in HD,Local(which I get OTA),ESPN-HD(just for Football its worth it),Discovery,and the InHD channels but no HDNet channels(their movies are getting better and I like to support a channel that does OAR) but no TNT-HD(also getting better) and no Bravo-HD( :rolleyes: ) if they had my RSN in HD their would be no delay in switching.

txcruiser said:
I appended my post due a sticky enter key on the laptop or quick fingers on my two year old. :confused: Anyway, the local Cable Co is indeed making a very sweet deal. As much as I like VOOM, I hope they do not charge more than $9.95 to rent the DVR and $5 for the DVR service. Currently, we have only a single VOOM STB, which is fine because we have only a single HDTV - lifeline cable feeds the old clunkers.

However, we are now looking to add a second HDTV - this complicates matters because, IMO, cable has huge advantage over D*, E* and V*. So many choices and no "complete" solution at this time.

Word for the day: FIREWIRE

DobyMax said:
By the time the Voomers pay that $14.95 rental per receiver and now that $199.00 installation fee, it won't take long to where you could have bought a HD-Tivo. Not to mention that your rates recently went up didn't they? I will give Voom credit, on thier web site, I like to look at the "Now Playing" option. Voom gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "playing this month." Because you can bet, it will be playing all month, over and over and over again.

DobyMax, what is your next troll username going to be? Just curious...

DobyMax said:

You obviously misread my post :rolleyes: . I have besides VOOM, DishNetwork and Cable. So my pockets are deep to spend. You really do not want to know how much I spend per month on TV. If I remember correctly, I recently posted on the Dish Network Forum being angry to their "sticking on the mud" about HD addition. This is why I have decided to get rid of them once D* comes up with a better line up than them. I'll give my $$$$ to whomever can come up with the best HD programming. I will not invest $1,000 on HD Tivo because there is no point in investing that heavily on a DVR that will be outdated by the time you buy it. Don't tell me that I do not know the benefits of the DVR either. I have two with E* (one rented and one that I owned). The one that I owned I have already sold at half the price I bought it. This is how much these DVRs depreciate. I had it for two years.

Yeah, who said it is an either or proposition? I do have the HD Tivo & there has been a dearth of unique content (since I originally bought to record The Wind & the Lion). It is very cool, and with 550GBs of storage my temporary shows never go away :) I do like the fact that there is a ciommited mod community as well. This would be great if they had at least the premiums that Voom has, but they don't.

I'm a 3 source customer too (cable for firewire). I wish I could record EncoreHD and Untouchables on MaxHD (OAR/HD) was great, but not on DirecTV.

andrzej said:
DobyMax, what is your next troll username going to be? Just curious...

andrzej

Why does it seem like anyone that says something that is not to Voom flattering considered by you to be a troll?

Voom vs. D*

Dvlos said:
Whoah peak your dish, check your coax, Voom has great SD so does D* they are virtually identical and are better than the Comcast Digital cable here in S. Fla.

Sorry, I am not that techical - what do you mean, peak my dish or check coax? I've tried all of the tricks I could think of including changing the display, using S-Video connection or using component connection.

Sean, if you are monitoring - any ideas?

Martin21 :shocked

The wind might have moved your dish,you might have to re-aim it,or the cable came lose from the LNB(Dish thingy that gets the signal for the "not that techical")

word of warning to all those thinking about switching to HD cable..
PQ totally sux...at least the Comcast feeds are that way..

If you think Voom's PQ is bad at times, just wait to you turn on those overpriced DVR's, and start recording something to watch later..

Geez, i STILL don't understand this frenzy to get a $1,000. toy, with very little to enjoy it with...At least D*Tv has good HD PQ...If you can't wait, you'll be alot less disappointed going that route insted of cable..

txcruiser said:
andrzej

Why does it seem like anyone that says something that is not to Voom flattering considered by you to be a troll?

I think he is just trying to convince himself that he made a good move by spending all of this money for Voom. He can call me what he wants to, doesn't phase me.
Sean - I understand what you're saying. I have been with D* for about ten years, and a yearly commitment doesn't bother me. I won't buy a DVR for $1000 myself, one because I use the SD DVR just to record shows that I miss during the day or when I'm out, and two, because my budget won't allow it.

txcruiser - that was a good quote, but had no meaning. It's the same quote that you use on everyone that isn't a Voom fan. Seems to me that you're the one not happy. Oh well, you're get over it sooner or later. :haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)