Why the University of Miami Should DROP it's Football Program!

Maybe programs shoudn't bring in bad apples to begin with? Then the likely hood they get in trouble and disgrace the school will be less.

Look....let's be honest, it will happen whether you bring in bad apples or not. You get a good kid from a difficult background and the temptation with money and things they do not have will be hard to say no to.

I went to Florida State on a baseball scholarship...FULL RIDE. Back then, books, housing, food and studies. We were NOT allowed to work for a little extra money.
I was a nothing compared to the star on the team back then, Deon Sanders, our star centerfielder. And the temptation, because I came from a very poor background was sufficating. The full ride is not enough. It will not help with getting home, it will not help with doing your personal laundry and daily things needed to get through the school year that we take for granted when we are in high school or when you live at home when you going to college.

Maybe programs shoudn't bring in bad apples to begin with? Then the likely hood they get in trouble and disgrace the school will be less.

Also, the boosters for these major university PUSH coaches and ADs to get the best of the best....sometimes, and I would say MOST TIMES, regardless of the kids background.

Look....let's be honest, it will happen whether you bring in bad apples or not. You get a good kid from a difficult background and the temptation with money and things they do not have will be hard to say no to.

I went to Florida State on a baseball scholarship...FULL RIDE. Back then, books, housing, food and studies. We were NOT allowed to work for a little extra money.
I was a nothing compared to the star on the team back then, Deon Sanders, our star centerfielder. And the temptation, because I came from a very poor background was sufficating. The full ride is not enough. It will not help with getting home, it will not help with doing your personal laundry and daily things needed to get through the school year that we take for granted when we are in high school or when you live at home when you going to college.

BOO HOO! A full ride, and you still found something to complain about. Let's talk about the cost of paying for your children to go to college, and then compare notes. Everybody should be so lucky.

Got to be honest, hard to feel sorry for someone getting a FULL RIDE!!!!!

BOO HOO! A full ride, and you still found something to complain about. Let's talk about the cost of paying for your children to go to college, and then compare notes. Everybody should be so lucky.

Not so cut and dry my friend. When you have no one back home to help you with every day cost....not so easy. Help, if we were allowed to JUST GET A PART TIME, which we were not....

Yeah, paying for it from a parents perspective is tough. Trying going to a parent that COULD not and not have the money to send you ....then come back to me.

Until then, you really have no clue.

Not so cut and dry my friend. When you have no one back home to help you with every day cost....not so easy. Help, if we were allowed to JUST GET A PART TIME, which we were not....

Yeah, paying for it from a parents perspective is tough. Trying going to a parent that COULD not and not have the money to send you ....then come back to me.

Until then, you really have no clue.

Could you work during off season? Summertime?

Got to be honest, hard to feel sorry for someone getting a FULL RIDE!!!!!

Fine...don't. But I ask you this. I will put it for you this way. ONLY pay for the same that you get for a scholarship. No extra money to get home for break, no money for day to day expense and normal life. And oh yeah, they are NOT allowed to get a part time NOR full time job.

THEN come back to me....;)

Could you work during off season? Summertime?

NOPE! Because of fear you would be tempted for work not done. The ONLY money coming in is for school books, tuition, room and board. IF a coach buys ya food for your little 'fridge, say...$60 to get ya through the week that includes, say tooth paste, washing detergent for your personal cloth..... VIOLATION !!!

NOPE! Because of fear you would be tempted for work not done. The ONLY money coming in is for school books, tuition, room and board. IF a coach buys ya food for your little 'fridge, say...$60 to get ya through the week that includes, say tooth paste, washing detergent for your personal cloth..... VIOLATION !!!

Things must have changed then. I know many athletes on scholarships with major universities that hold summer jobs. For the reasons that you mentioned as hardships. They work, put that money back, and dont have to worry about it as much during the semester.

Of course every situation is different, but it was still a FULL RIDE:p
Many would kill for those problems.

Of course every situation is different, but it was still a FULL RIDE:p
Many would kill for those problems.

I would take that bet with ANYONE! You get a poor kid shipped across the country to a place he has never seen or been. Has THAT kinda situation, yeah, I will take that bet in a heart beat that they "would kill for thise kinda problems".

I lived in Lima, OH for six months and Columbus, OH for about 4.5 months from September 1995 to July 1996. In that time Ohio State had:

1. Several football players arrested for beating the crap out of a guy in a bar in Akron. Apparently he ragged on them for their play in losing the Citrus Bowl to Tennessee. I remember watching the news on channel 10 in Columbus. They were interviewing this poor guy in a hospital bed with numerous tubes going into him, and they put the caption "alleged victim" beneath his name.

2. Several basketball players were arrested for breaking into cars on campus.

3. A star football player, I *really* think it was Terry Glenn, got drunk and drove through a bunch of front yards in a very upscale neighborhood just west of campus before crashing into a tree. As I remember, no one wanted to press charges.

Before I interviewed there, I had never set foot in Ohio and had no opinions on Ohio State one way or another. By the time I left, they were Thug U II in my mind.

I would take that bet with ANYONE! You get a poor kid shipped across the country to a place he has never seen or been. Has THAT kinda situation, yeah, I will take that bet in a heart beat that they "would kill for thise kinda problems".

A poor kid with no other chance of going to college (that wants to) would love to be a still poor kid getting a full ride and an education. That is what I am saying.

To someone who has no desire to go in the first place, it wouldnt matter. If a kid has the desire to though, and not the means. Then yes, they would kill to have those types of problems.

3. A star football player, I *really* think it was Terry Glenn, got drunk and drove through a bunch of front yards in a very upscale neighborhood just west of campus before crashing into a tree. As I remember, no one wanted to press charges.

SHE should have known better!! :D

I lived in Lima, OH for six months and Columbus, OH for about 4.5 months from September 1995 to July 1996. In that time Ohio State had:

1. Several football players arrested for beating the crap out of a guy in a bar in Akron. Apparently he ragged on them for their play in losing the Citrus Bowl to Tennessee. I remember watching the news on channel 10 in Columbus. They were interviewing this poor guy in a hospital bed with numerous tubes going into him, and they put the caption "alleged victim" beneath his name.

2. Several basketball players were arrested for breaking into cars on campus.

Before I interviewed there, I had never set foot in Ohio and had no opinions on Ohio State one way or another. By the time I left, they were Thug U II in my mind.

Thats pretty narrow minded , that stuff happens all over the place and most of the time it never gets reported.

Absolutely! Miami has been very clean for a while. Butch Davis went out of his way to keep it clean. And so has Randy Shannon. Hence the dismal records due to getting better quality students than just athletes. I do not think is a completely clean program anywhere in the country. BUT, with that said, when you are looking for the death penalty....you better have the proof....undesputable proof, to back the claim. NOT because you dislike them.

Apparently with the proof they have, it is THEIR OPINION that Miami should drop football. ;)

Sandra

Apparently with the proof they have, it is THEIR OPINION that Miami should drop football. ;)

Sandra

Who has proof? The NCAA has not started and investigation. This is ONE guy who wrote a book. I do not recall the NCAA stating there is enough proof to drop the program.

...not opinion, but fact.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)