Why USC's season isn't over

USC hasn't seen all of its difficult opponents yet. Chances are pretty good that they'll drop at least one more before the season is over.

USC hasn't seen all of its difficult opponents yet. Chances are pretty good that they'll drop at least one more before the season is over.

Agreed, USC hasn't looked anything like the team of the past few years (dominant running / passing game, shutdown D). So far Barkley hasn't shown anything yet, granted the San Jose St game he didn't need to with the running game bowling over a weak team, but the Ohio State game was won by Joe McKnight, not Barkley. Obviously Corp isn't the answer, so Carroll so far has made a good opening decision to go with Barkley over Corp. But I think Mustain should of been giving a shot against Washington because Barkley was still tight on the sideline trying to warmup when Corp was stinking up the joint. Mustain was 8-0 as a freshman at Arkansas (although a lot of that had to do with a couple running backs called McFadden and Felix Jones :)) but still should of been given the chance.

In terms of the rest of the season, forget about it. This is strictly a rebuilding year for USC with Barkley as a freshman and a new defense. I see at least 2 more PAC10 conference losses (1 of those will definitely be at Cal, the other will come from either Oregon St, Oregon or UCLA). But if Barkley sticks around till his Junior year, watch out BCS.

if USC beats Cal and Washington puts up a respectable record, they will be right in the conversation. that was my intent of this thread

Rose Bowl is easily feasible if we defeat Cal. And Washington, if a surprise team like Alabama last year, might end up not having a HUGE effect on USC.
For the Rose Bowl to happen, Washington needs to lose 2 Pac-10 games.
But a losing Washington team would be bad for USC's rankings, so they're damned if Washington does good and damned if they don't.

But a losing Washington team would be bad for USC's rankings, so they're damned if Washington does good and damned if they don't.
Maybe now Pete Carroll will decide that USC should support a Pac-10 championship game. Two years in a row teams from the North bit his butt.

Washington will lose a lot more than 2 conference games. And Cal is still overrated IMO. They are the Clemson of the Pac 10. Lots of hype, but always melt down sooner or later.

Clemson and Cal are about the same. Clemson has finished the year ranked in the Top 25, 1981 was just the last time they won the NC. But both teams get all sorts of hype that they're going to win their conferences and be in the BCS. All I hear about Cal is how this year it's going to be different, and how Jeff Tedford is some kind of QB guru. Whatever. They haven't beaten USC in 6 years, and they always lose 3-4 conference games. Slap an orange jersey on those guys with a silly tiger paw the helmet (actually their helmets are similar) and Cal could be Clemson.

Agreed, USC hasn't looked anything like the team of the past few years (dominant running / passing game, shutdown D). So far Barkley hasn't shown anything yet, granted the San Jose St game he didn't need to with the running game bowling over a weak team, but the Ohio State game was won by Joe McKnight, not Barkley. Obviously Corp isn't the answer, so Carroll so far has made a good opening decision to go with Barkley over Corp. But I think Mustain should of been giving a shot against Washington because Barkley was still tight on the sideline trying to warmup when Corp was stinking up the joint. Mustain was 8-0 as a freshman at Arkansas (although a lot of that had to do with a couple running backs called McFadden and Felix Jones :)) but still should of been given the chance.

In terms of the rest of the season, forget about it. This is strictly a rebuilding year for USC with Barkley as a freshman and a new defense. I see at least 2 more PAC10 conference losses (1 of those will definitely be at Cal, the other will come from either Oregon St, Oregon or UCLA). But if Barkley sticks around till his Junior year, watch out BCS.
I agree with most of what you say. But I am wondering why Mustain has been the number 3 QB since the start of practice even though he is the only one with college game experience. Is he a terrible passer? His old school's offense was built on the run. Is he a discipline problem? I have no idea. I have seen statements by a Los Angeles Times sports writer that Mustain's mother has angered Pete Carroll. But given the way things were going last Saturday that wouldn't have kept me from putting Mustain in if I were coach.

The only thing I can think of is Carroll knew that Corp's confidence was already badly damaged, and he didn't want to destroy what little was left of it. I believe Carroll thought that his boys could still pull it out in the end, even without a functional QB. And they almost did. The final USC drive for a field goal fell only 7 yards short of a TD. And on Washington's final drive they were pinned with a third and 19 or so in their own territory when the USC defensive secondary fell asleep at the switch.

Barkley doesn't even look like he's going to come close to Sanchez's level
Too early to say that. He's only played 2 games. Besides you can't declare for the NFL draft until after your junior season. There's no one and done's in football. Barkley's not going anywhere.

Of course they will get in the Champion game. Look how many times they were Ranked #3 in the nation and got to the title game when #2 didn't....It's all politics....the NCAA wants them in the Championship ever year so as long as they win out. "Somehow" they will be there...it always happens!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)