Why USC's season isn't over

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I think USC still has a shot at the title game. Call me a homer if you will, but these are my reasons:
Texas or Oklahoma will lose a game
Florida or LSU will lose a game
Alabama or Ole Miss will get a loss
USC plays a top ranked Cal team
Oregon, UCLA, Notre Dame, Oregon St may all be ranked when USC plays them
The win against OSU should go a long way

I know the odds aren't great, but I believe USC may hang in there. Right now the Washington loss looks HORRIBLE. If Washington has a good record however, the loss will look less bad down the road. I think human voters also might take into the fact that Taylor Mays, Ronald Johnson, and Matt Barkley were all injured, and Joe McKnight had been sick all week. I'm not trying to discredit Washington, who shocked us all, but I believe USC still has a shot.

Your exactly right, being a Florida fan myself, I realize that as long as you have a decent rank, an early loss doesn't exclude you from the title game. Florida has lost one game in both 06 and 08 and still went on to win, and LSU lost 2 games in 07. There is plenty of football left and anything that can happen will happen.

I think USC still has a shot at the title game. Call me a homer if you will, but these are my reasons:

I know the odds aren't great, but I believe USC may hang in there. Right now the Washington loss looks HORRIBLE. If Washington has a good record however, the loss will look less bad down the road. I think human voters also might take into the fact that Taylor Mays, Ronald Johnson, and Matt Barkley were all injured, and Joe McKnight had been sick all week. I'm not trying to discredit Washington, who shocked us all, but I believe USC still has a shot.

Well if the win against OSU should go a long way to helping, it sure didn't help OSU when they lost. Bucks won big (like they should have, but you never know , Toledo has a very potent offense, or so they looked like till yesterday) and they DROP spots in the polls.

<<rant on>>

Of course USC's season is not over, but the "National Championship" is a farce of epic proportions. These kids needs to focus on earning their education, graduating, and winning their conference championship. That's it! The BCS and the 30+ idiot bowls are complete and total Bullsh!t and, in my opinion, epitomize everthing that is wrong with college football. In my mind, win the conference title and play in a major bowl - everyone else goes home to study for finals, build relationships with fellow students, and spend time with family over the holidays. Why and the hell would anyone want to see a 7th place team who finished 6-5 overall (with 2 victories against out-of-conference cupcakes) play in a bowl game? Yikes!

My nephew graduated last year with a Liberal Arts degree. Although he had a 1370 SAT score and wanted to earn an engineering degree, there just wasn't any time for engineering classes given his busy football schedule. So what is he doing...well, he is back in class studying to be a chemical engineer! He has also lost more than 50 pounds. For god sakes...why do we need these 250 kids (lineman) to bulk up to 310 and expect them to be just as quick and skilled as the veteran NFL offensive lineman?

Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Fiesta Bowl...that's all we need. We don't need a Tidy Bowl Toilet Bowl, nor do we need a Cheetos Motor City Bowl. Ugh!

Again, I love college football...but our priorities need to be reviewed.

<<rant off>>

I agree with a lot of what you say Riffjim4069 .

Here's an idea, why not have games during the year, i.e USC v. OSU, and have them sponsored? I see chik-fil-a sponsoring some game opener or other, why not do that every year with these top notch games?

At the end of the year, take the top 4 or 8 teams and have a playoff type championship?

It would keep the money around, and also give us a no doubt winner. Just a theory, I'm sure there's room for improvement.

<<rant on>>

Of course USC's season is not over, but the "National Championship" is a farce of epic proportions. These kids needs to focus on earning their education, graduating, and winning their conference championship. That's it! The BCS and the 30+ idiot bowls are complete and total Bullsh!t and, in my opinion, epitomize everthing that is wrong with college football. In my mind, win the conference title and play in a major bowl - everyone else goes home to study for finals, build relationships with fellow students, and spend time with family over the holidays. Why and the hell would anyone want to see a 7th place team who finished 6-5 overall (with 2 victories against out-of-conference cupcakes) play in a bowl game? Yikes!

My nephew graduated last year with a Liberal Arts degree. Although he had a 1370 SAT score and wanted to earn an engineering degree, there just wasn't any time for engineering classes given his busy football schedule. So what is he doing...well, he is back in class studying to be a chemical engineer! He has also lost more than 50 pounds. For god sakes...why do we need these 250 kids (lineman) to bulk up to 310 and expect them to be just as quick and skilled as the veteran NFL offensive lineman?

Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Fiesta Bowl...that's all we need. We don't need a Tidy Bowl Toilet Bowl, nor do we need a Cheetos Motor City Bowl. Ugh!

<<rant off>>
And no more rock n roll music! :D

with a loss to washington the season is over no hope of nc now, maybe the rose bowl but that should be unacceptable for the trojans, better hope cal slips up

with a loss to washington the season is over no hope of nc now, maybe the rose bowl but that should be unacceptable for the trojans, better hope cal slips up
Rose Bowl is easily feasible if we defeat Cal. And Washington, if a surprise team like Alabama last year, might end up not having a HUGE effect on USC.

Winning the BcS "championship" has to do, simply put, with having the lowest number of losses, preferabably zero, and being in the BcS.

Right now, there are 23 undefeated teams. Miami, North Carolina, Cincinnati, South Florida, Pitt, Cal, UCLA, Arizona State, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Indiana, Iowa, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, and Mississippi.

These teams range from great to very good to few really bad that have fattened up on early cupcakes, but to talk about any other team, you have to take at least 22 of them out. Non-cartel members Houston, Boise State, Southern Mississippi, Colorado State, and TCU have to be dealt with as well. Many of these teams will take one another out, but, in a month, we will have a list of 5-8 teams and can talk about the end game this year. But I really think that things look really great in Happy Valley right now.

Winning the BcS "championship" has to do, simply put, with having the lowest number of losses, preferabably zero, and being in the BcS.

Right now, there are 23 undefeated teams. Miami, North Carolina, Cincinnati, South Florida, Pitt, Cal, UCLA, Arizona State, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Indiana, Iowa, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, and Mississippi.

These teams range from great to very good to few really bad that have fattened up on early cupcakes, but to talk about any other team, you have to take at least 22 of them out. Non-cartel members Houston, Boise State, Southern Mississippi, Colorado State, and TCU have to be dealt with as well. Many of these teams will take one another out, but, in a month, we will have a list of 5-8 teams and can talk about the end game this year. But I really think that things look really great in Happy Valley right now.
Of those 23 teams you listed, 19 would be given the bid above a 1 loss USC team. those would be Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, and Texas.

Of those 23 teams you listed, 19 would be given the bid above a 1 loss USC team. those would be Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, and Texas.

Hardly, Mississippi will have 2 losses or more, If not all the above would be taken above them ...... Ohio State would go ahead of Mississippi :rolleyes:

See that's the problem. Washington was 0-12 last year. The former #3 team in the nation lost to the Detroit Lions of College Football. :)

This is par for the course for Pete Carrol though. He always gets his team up for the big games, but there is also always one letdown game, typically against an inferior Pac-10 team on the road. This has been his program's Achilles heal.

USC is done unless Washington were to go undefeated the rest of the way.

Hardly, Mississippi will have 2 losses or more, If not all the above would be taken above them ...... Ohio State would go ahead of Mississippi :rolleyes:
I think Ohio State will have more losses before the season's over. Penn St. and Michigan will both be playing their very hardest when tOSU comes to town. Other Big10 teams could pull off an upset as well if Pryor isn't on his game again and Tressell can't figure how to use him when he is.

<<rant on>>

<<rant off>>

I suppose it's safe to assume you won't be posting in the March Madness thread? ;) :D

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)