Why Would an Installer Do This?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

n4uaj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
My daughter just had a new install. Supposed to be MRV. She got hr24 h24 and one sd receiver in her deal. When the guy said he was done I asked him where was the internet kit? He showed me the work order and it wasnt on it so I said ok we will call get that fixed. Well later that night she noticed that there was only one coax at the back of the dvr and it had one of those b band things like I have at my house. And when she tried to record a program and change channels the screen told here it wasnt posible because she only had one tuner active! Why would anyone install a dvr and leave it where you couldnt watch one program and record another? After hearing about the singlewire setup on here I really didnt think anything of it when I saw him hook up one coax but the way he done it was the old way and he left out the second line. They are coming back Monday to fix it all but I just dont understand why it would have been done that way to begin with???

I hate to ponder an accusation, but sounds like he was lazy and needed to be done fast . Not sure how or why he didn't think it would be noticed. Just speculation tho...

It sounds like he didn't have a SWM lnb but did the install anyway. When they come back I'll bet they install the SWM for her.

Great possibility. If so, wonder why they didn't just inform her of that and / or maybe try to call another installer or supervisor to get the proper hardware?

Joe

My daughter just had a new install. Supposed to be MRV. She got hr24 h24 and one sd receiver in her deal. When the guy said he was done I asked him where was the internet kit? He showed me the work order and it wasnt on it so I said ok we will call get that fixed. Well later that night she noticed that there was only one coax at the back of the dvr and it had one of those b band things like I have at my house. And when she tried to record a program and change channels the screen told here it wasnt posible because she only had one tuner active! Why would anyone install a dvr and leave it where you couldnt watch one program and record another? After hearing about the singlewire setup on here I really didnt think anything of it when I saw him hook up one coax but the way he done it was the old way and he left out the second line. They are coming back Monday to fix it all but I just dont understand why it would have been done that way to begin with???

Answer:

Paralysis............for years techs realized that by the time a work order made it to the front door there would be errors. So they just went to work. Now they just do what is on the work order. If your name was misspelled there is a good chance the tech would leave however there is a good chance he would also drive to a vacant lot to leave a door tag.

From what you said there are a few minor problems that will now need another truck roll.

Joe

Answer:

Paralysis............for years techs realized that by the time a work order made it to the front door there would be errors. So they just went to work. Now they just do what is on the work order. If your name was misspelled there is a good chance the tech would leave however there is a good chance he would also drive to a vacant lot to leave a door tag.

From what you said there are a few minor problems that will now need another truck roll.

Joe

WO integrity issues are generally caused by Customers ....

1. Customer waits to the day of /before to change a work order ( ACE and even there supervisors are locked out of changnig the order ) So option one is we cancel the order and rebuild the order which could mean loosing the install time . Or option 2 Customer tells us toe bleep bleep blep and then takes it out of the installer telling him/her that they told dtv that they were supposed to have 4 hddvrs either way tech gets crap who gives crap to csr who then has to tell them to get ahold of there boss of omg dept (Order Modification Group ) end reslut loose loose

2. like issue 1 but already submitted rebates locking csrs and many other departments out of modifications

3. Sales people fail to explain things to customer leding to tech gettting yelled at .

4. Sales people are idiots and tech gets yelled at who then yells at one of my agents who xfers to me for me to tell them in the nicest way possible to back off calm down and get control of them selves.

Sorry... but this is not possible

If he only hooked up one line of the DVR it would have failed installation verification. The customer would have had to give an agent at ISS permission to do that. And it never would have gotten that far, because the ISS agent would have to notice that the W/O called for a SWM install.

IDK but something does not add up here?

If he only hooked up one line of the DVR it would have failed installation verification. The customer would have had to give an agent at ISS permission to do that. And it never would have gotten that far, because the ISS agent would have to notice that the W/O called for a SWM install.

I was not going to say that as everytime I make a statment like that I get accused of protecting the company.

Liquidforce88 said:

Agreed.

If it's not swm, the only way he could have activated the HR24 is to run a dummy line from another room to the HR24 for the 2nd tuner or to call ISS like LF said.

There are bad apples in every group if this is the case. I don't understand why installers do not go to every job prepared for anything. Every installer has either heard the stories or been in a situation where they didn't have the right equipment to complete the job( not just to get by). As a retailer, I can have no maximum of anything on my truck so if a customer wants anything extra or changes their mind I got it. Extra:
rcvr (any rcvr)- no problem
RF modulator - no problem
RF remote - no problem
Dish (18 or kaku) - no problem
Lnb - no problem
Hdmi cable - no problem

Then again, this might have been a warehouse issue to where swm lnb's were out of stock. Who knows?

Keep us posted on the details.

From what I can see it is NOT Directv's fault. She is in an area that has to be serviced by some outfit called Primecast. This truck was just a pickup with a ladderrack no logo or anything. She had no problems when she called Directv back. They told her it was an incomplete install and someone would be out monday to correct it. It just baffled me that he would leave a dvr basically inoperable. As far as the call back I am sure she was calm about it cause they walked her through looking at the back of the dvr and describing exactly what was hooked up to it.

And I guess I am partly to blame too. She had to work so I was there and should have made him show me how to use the dvr but after all I had read about SWM installs I just didnt think anything of it when he only hooked up one coax. I have been with Directv since 2001 and have had some really good installers when I changed up. The first time I got SD dvr the man would not leave until I understood everything he was showing me about the operation of it.

stonecold said:
Still not sure how he got pass verifcation with only one tuner.

You run a drop line from 2nd tuner on Dvr through the house to another wall plate in another room which in turn goes to the multi switch. Now you have 2 tuners. Call to activate and once you get programming on the dvr, unplug the line you ran to other room. Aka: dummy line
Then the customer is left with one active tuner.
I've seen a bunch of lazy installers do this so they don't have to fish or drill. Kinda sad if you ask me

n4uaj said:
And I guess I am partly to blame too. She had to work so I was there and should have made him show me how to use the dvr but after all I had read about SWM installs I just didnt think anything of it when he only hooked up one coax. I have been with Directv since 2001 and have had some really good installers when I changed up. The first time I got SD dvr the man would not leave until I understood everything he was showing me about the operation of it.

Your not to blame. That's his job to inform you and make sure it's working correctly.

The H24 in the granddaughter's room also had at bband thing installed. maybe that is how he got by with the activation. Shoulda seen something was up when he had the access card in upside down to start with. Kept telling the guy on the other end that the dvr wasnt recognizing the card : )

The H24 in the granddaughter's room also had at bband thing installed. maybe that is how he got by with the activation.

Shoulda seen something was up when he had the access card in upside down to start with. Kept telling the guy on the other end that the dvr wasnt recognizing the card : )

:eek::eek::eek:

Well the guy came out today from Primestar and told my daughter all he could do was hook up a second line to the dvr because they have no way to install SWM. Can not order the equipment to do so. She will be calling Directv back again..sounds like DTV needs to get rid of this bunch...how can they install hr24/h24 and not be able to order the swm or internet connect kit?? I sit here getting confuseder as the day goes on!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)