Why youtube sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
1st you cannot find anything you are looking for. Do we really need to see someone just babble?

I enjoy checking out some of those old MTV unplugged concerts, yhea when MTV use to have good programming. Apparently you can search for videos but when you click you get "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Viacom International Inc." First why would they not just take it off so you don't have to drift through this crap. Second I don't understand why Viacom would want to stop you from viewing something that is over 10 years old. I know the copyright crap but, is it really hurting them if I go and view this?

You should ask Mr. Moonves at CBS, he probably did it (or encouraged it). He is quite a greedy fellow, says he's going to get compensation for all his programming, whatever Media it's on.

Al

I agree that old stuff is cool to look at. No it ain't hurting them one bit, unless they don't want younger people to start protesting and say oh OK this what MTV is supposed to be.

It seems you are saying You Tube sucks because you have to wade through all sorts of legal video to fine the illegal stuff and then find out it is no longer up. :)

I do agree though that once a video is removed for whatever reason, the references to it on You Tube should also be purged. Obviously links such as those appearing here cannot be policed by You tube.

It seems you are saying You Tube sucks because you have to wade through all sorts of legal video to fine the illegal stuff and then find out it is no longer up. :)

I do agree though that once a video is removed for whatever reason, the references to it on You Tube should also be purged. Obviously links such as those appearing here cannot be policed by You tube.

Correct, Viacom is just stupid for claiming copyright, but if they do not want you to view a certain video youtube should take it off completely so it will not popup in a search.

Viacom isn't the only one that's not with the times. Mark Cuban is another one. If you look at his blog, he supports them. They need to get with the times, make deals with Youtube and other sharing sites so they get a cut and move on. I give them 2 the Stub-Toe award.

sta.gif

OT but in the same vein, is when they have to change the music on dvd's (tv shows) because the rights holders want so much money, because they would sell more music by having the original song on there. I have bought cd's because of songs I have heard on tv shows. Oh and don't get me started on moonvies (sp).

Compromise coming - you'll have to pay for D/Ls of copyrighted material available from youtube. Plenty of precedence...

I downloaded a program called VLOADER , lets me copy any YOU TUBE video , and yes it does just that , since then I have ammassed some music videos I have never seen before in my life of One Hit Wonders .

I also have a regular You Tube account with Favorites and have found videos pulled , I see nothing wrong with Copyright protected Videos being on You Tube , I feel that it is Intelectual Cultural Property that belongs to all and should be shared especially the rare hard to find stuff.

I downloaded a program called VLOADER , lets me copy any YOU TUBE video...I see nothing wrong with Copyright protected Videos being on You Tube , I feel that it is Intelectual Cultural Property that belongs to all and should be shared especially the rare hard to find stuff.
Fortunatly the courts have found just the opposite - in favor of the copyright holders, and I have done a 180 myself such that I now completely agree with them. (I used to D/L music via Napster in its early days until I "saw the light".) We usually think only of the greedy artists that won't miss the revenue from a few illegal transfers, but there are a whole bunch of "regular folks" who also depend on that same revenue stream. I hold several patents. I would feel exactly the same way if I found someone ripping me off...

What I find funny about this is one day a press release comes out that Viacom is suing Google / Youtube for $1 billion, then the very next day they announce a promotional deal and the fact that YouTube will have exclusive CBS NCAA Basketball coverage. :)

bhelms- I agree with YOU. I am a content producer for TV and I don't like the idea that people think they own my content just because they bought one copy. However, the flip side is I disagree with the organizations like MPAA and RIAA in that if a person buys one copy of my work, they have every right to reproduce it for their own backups, a second copy to play in the car, another room etc. BUT NOT to give to their friends, family, and strangers for free, for favors, barter or real cash. In other words, I am a firm believer in fair use rights and disagree with the organizations who wish to do away with fair use copies altogether. Goes for software too.

Don - Agreed 100%. Just because something CAN be copied or D/L'd doesn't mean that folks have a right to do so...! Once you legitimately "own" it then I think you should have some lattitude in how you use and store it, but it should not be given freely to someone else unless you delete/destroy all your copies.

BRgds...

There will be alot of dead links in youtube for a while until they can get through all of the content that they need to remove and considering that there is more than just viacom suing google over copyright ect ect ect they will be busy for a while.

I have to agrea that I dont think its alright for people to just upload a movie or song or video that was produced by another company or person and copyrighted without the expressed permission of the maker of said product. I did some photography in the past and have some work that many have told me is very good that I have been very leary about putting on the web out of concern that it would be copied and spread all over or sold off without my making any money off of my hard work.

While I agree that people shouldn't "steal" intellectual property online, I am very much opposed to DRM and believe in fair use. DRM does nothing but annoy the consumer. If I want to crack the drm, or whatever, it is a trivial thing to do in todays world.

I just want to be able to buy mp3's that I can put on on my mp3 player, on my phone to listen to, and on my computers to listen to.
And yeah, I am a Emusic customer, and I also purchase music from independent artist's from their own sites whenever possible.

Personally, I don't use Youtube very much, only to upload my own videos to share with my friends and family.

While I agree that people shouldn't "steal" intellectual property online, I am very much opposed to DRM and believe in fair use. DRM does nothing but annoy the consumer. If I want to crack the drm, or whatever, it is a trivial thing to do in todays world.

I just want to be able to buy mp3's that I can put on on my mp3 player, on my phone to listen to, and on my computers to listen to.
And yeah, I am a Emusic customer, and I also purchase music from independent artist's from their own sites whenever possible.

Personally, I don't use Youtube very much, only to upload my own videos to share with my friends and family.

I agree I hate DRM also, and this is the reason I wont buy any music online (as much as I really want to), I do not have an ipod and I dont listen to music much on my computer. I like to make cd's for my car depending on my mood and most cd's these days only have one good song on them so I either have to buy a whole cd (and rip the one song I like & put the disc in storage) or do without, so I pretty much just stick with my satellite radio. The record companies are missing the boat, because I would buy tons of music online if I had the freedom to use it like I wan't. Things where3 easier (and the music was better) in the Vinyl age...give me back my LP's :D

...Things where3 easier (and the music was better) in the Vinyl age...give me back my LP's :D
>> sigh! << Echo that! I still have my collection and the turntable to play them, but I haven't done so in a long time. Still, to this day I believe my vinyl copy of "Dark Side" - in spite of 100s of plays and quite a few "scars" picked-up over the years - has a "cleaner" sound to it vs. my CD copy. I believe I can still hear some "raspiness" in the top end in the digital version that's not there in the analog version...

I am completely on the opposite end of the spectrum as far as downloading music. I know its the big thing today but it has killed the music industry in my eyes. Most artist and record companies do not concentrate on making a whole album in todays world, as they concentrate more on two maybe three songs they can release to get airplay and a large number of downloads with. I hate artist who sell their souls for big record deals and don't get creative freedom. They have to record the one song that they may not really want to do, but are obligated so to make the record company happy. "Nickleback comes to mind"

Another thing is how soon it takes for songs or albums to drop off the radar. You don't have really great albums like Nirvana, The Ramones, Led Zeppelin, or the greatest album makers of all The Beatles being put out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)