WiFi Joey access point connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jacob Kluch

Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Mazon, IL
I recently got a Joey wi-fi access point and two wi-fi Joeys. I have my router/cable modem connected to a switch that feeds the Hopper 3, Xbox, receiver, etc. I had the Joey access point connected to the Hopper network port. Due to some other components being eliminated, I was able to move my Joey wi-fi access point closer to the router, so I tried connecting it to the router LAN port rather than the Hopper. It worked, and has worked flawlessly for over a week. This benefited me because of limited cable passages, so I thought I'd share it with others. No guarantees, just anecdotal evidence.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I recently got a Joey wi-fi access point and two wi-fi Joeys. I have my router/cable modem connected to a switch that feeds the Hopper 3, Xbox, receiver, etc. I had the Joey access point connected to the Hopper network port. Due to some other components being eliminated, I was able to move my Joey wi-fi access point closer to the router, so I tried connecting it to the router LAN port rather than the Hopper. It worked, and has worked flawlessly for over a week. This benefited me because of limited cable passages, so I thought I'd share it with others. No guarantees, just anecdotal evidence.
Interesting. So the access point goes through the router to the Hopper. And the Hopper is connected of course to the Router for internet access......

Reactions: charlesrshell
Interesting. So the access point goes through the router to the Hopper. And the Hopper is connected of course to the Router for internet access......
Yes, indirectly. I have five port switch between the router and the Hopper, but the Joey AP is directly connected to router.
If the internet goes down, so will the wireless Joeys
I‘m not sure how you define “internet goes down”. The router LAN works without modem working. I know it adds a component besides Hopper, but it made my life easier, and it was a fun discovery.

I believe you would still be able to. You can watch Tivo on a TIVO mini that goes through a modem, and that accesses everything from the main TIVO as a Joey does the Hopper. No internet needed.

I should have said Router, not Modem. Tivo goes through the Router to the Mini and it works without an outside internet, because it is LAN....

You can connect a Joey Wireless Access Point directly (via ethernet cable) to a mesh router. A Dish Service tech did it when I needed a 2nd WAP installed. He then paired a specific Joey 4 to the 2nd WAP. I have a 3rd WAP I plan to install once I replace my existing Mesh router network with a TP Link Deco Mesh system.
I will have all of my WAPs closer to the Joeys and the WAPs will be connected directly to my network.

The very first WAP was connected to the Hopper Plus until we ripped it out and just directly connected it to the Hopper 3. Only the Hopper 3 has the wireless connection to my network and I am getting ready to connect the Hopper 3 directly (via ethernet cable) to a Mesh router.... then it will totally eliminate poor signal between my network and the Hopper 3 as a cause.

The Hopper Plus seems to be the root of a lot of problems, and I noticed the Dish system reboots a lot quicker when the Hopper Plus was part of the equation. Now the Hopper 3 reboots a lot slower. I think the Hopper Plus is nothing more than a massive SSD based device which offloaded a lot of work from the older physical disk based Hopper 3.

The person who said it would go down when the internet is down is not correct. The Internet connection to the world can be down, but as long as your home router network is up and all the devices can still see each other, the Dish equipment is not down or dependent on an outside internet connection. Your Dish satellite channels are coming to you via the dish receiver, not the Internet. Any streaming channels would be down of course since they are coming via the internet.

You can connect a Joey Wireless Access Point directly (via ethernet cable) to a mesh router. A Dish Service tech did it when I needed a 2nd WAP installed. He then paired a specific Joey 4 to the 2nd WAP. I have a 3rd WAP I plan to install once I replace my existing Mesh router network with a TP Link Deco Mesh system.
I will have all of my WAPs closer to the Joeys and the WAPs will be connected directly to my network.

The very first WAP was connected to the Hopper Plus until we ripped it out and just directly connected it to the Hopper 3. Only the Hopper 3 has the wireless connection to my network and I am getting ready to connect the Hopper 3 directly (via ethernet cable) to a Mesh router.... then it will totally eliminate poor signal between my network and the Hopper 3 as a cause.

The Hopper Plus seems to be the root of a lot of problems, and I noticed the Dish system reboots a lot quicker when the Hopper Plus was part of the equation. Now the Hopper 3 reboots a lot slower. I think the Hopper Plus is nothing more than a massive SSD based device which offloaded a lot of work from the older physical disk based Hopper 3.

The person who said it would go down when the internet is down is not correct. The Internet connection to the world can be down, but as long as your home router network is up and all the devices can still see each other, the Dish equipment is not down or dependent on an outside internet connection. Your Dish satellite channels are coming to you via the dish receiver, not the Internet. Any streaming channels would be down of course since they are coming via the internet.
I concur with you. Years ago I had four HWSs and one Joey all connected to my router, via Ethernet cables and several switches. No MoCA, bridging, etc involved. Never had any issues.

Reactions: Tampa8