wildblue and a phone service

Jackm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
I have Wildblue Satellite Internet and it works great. I'm on their new satellite and have NEVER had a problem. I checked with Vonage and they said they have many customers using Wildblue with Vonage succesfully. Could someone please recommend which is the best way to go - (I have Wild Blue's high speed 1.5 pkg) If I wanted to add dial up service. Someone at work suggested "Voip.com" Thanks for any help.

Well it will work but there will be a lag. Ping times for sat run from 800 up compared to under 200 for land based service. This causes a slight delay in the information "ie voice".

200? You need a new ISP I get under 100ms pings from orlando to cali,

I am not saying I get 200. A high speed land based service is usually under 200ms is what I am saying. I am on satellite myself up around the 800's to 1000's.
Pinger
<=100 ms Great, typical of a high-speed cable or DSL connection.
100 to 200 ms Good, common for cable and DSL connections.
200 to 400 ms Fair, usually seen with dialup connections or faraway sites.
400 to 600 ms Slow, either the connection or the remote site is slow.
600 to 1999 ms Poor, high latency. Typical for satellite connections.
> 1999 ms No response, the ping was blocked or the site did not reply.

I've checked into VOIP and compatibility with Wildblue myself since I use their service also. Vonnage does not play nicely with WB nor does Skype. The lag time bites not to mention the fact it eats away at yoour FAP in big ole bites.

Do not use Vonage with WildBlue i tryed it for a couple of weeks and it was more problems then it was worth. Its not so much the down load it is the upload of WildBlue that wont let Vonage work well.

i've had customers with the highest package try it and been reasonably happy with it for occasional use. But I never recommend it. That said, I would try out skype before signing up for vonage....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts