WildBlue ViaSat1 the real scoop

BooHiss times 100.. 25gigs at 130 dollars? Why? Thank the stars I live in a major east coast city with Fios available to me..
If you're comparing to Cable, DSL, Fios, etc. then no satellite-delivered service will compare favorably. But then, this service is not intended to compete in that market. It's for under served/non served residences who have no better alternative. I've sat in WB seminars and never once did I hear a WB rep say they were going after any different market than this one. It's fair to compare WB pricing and performance to other satellite-delivered services since that's who they're really competing against. The cost structure of delivering data over satellite is completely different than for terrestrial.

Ok. JetBlue is mentioned in passing, but not a peep about Wildblue. So the "real scoop" seems to be that Wildblue is basically an Excede reseller. One might conclude that either WB is satisfied to work with a lower margin, or that ViaSat itself will be over-charging Excede retail customers.

//greg//

No, No and not even close. We are Exede it is ViaSat. And we are seriously overwhelmed with NEW customer requests for new service which means we do have the demand.

Let us all know once you decide to actually contribute to this thread. :D

But have a nice day! :D

So if I already have WB and want to upgrade do I go through WB or Exede? The guy who installed my WB retired and the others don't install WB anymore.
I'm in central NY on WB1 syracuse gateway.

AlanRT said:
If you're comparing to Cable, DSL, Fios, etc. then no satellite-delivered service will compare favorably. But then, this service is not intended to compete in that market. It's for under served/non served residences who have no better alternative. I've sat in WB seminars and never once did I hear a WB rep say they were going after any different market than this one. It's fair to compare WB pricing and performance to other satellite-delivered services since that's who they're really competing against. The cost structure of delivering data over satellite is completely different than for terrestrial.

You sure take full advantage of under served communities then.. Good day.

So if I already have WB and want to upgrade do I go through WB or Exede? The guy who installed my WB retired and the others don't install WB anymore.
I'm in central NY on WB1 syracuse gateway.
you would cal

This is just a marketing change. You would call our customer service number for upgrade.... Same number we have had for ever...

All new products will be branded exede and the legacy stuff is WildBlue..

exede by ViaSat

Hope all is well!!

I always wonder why it is when consumers complain about the price and performance of a product, that those that sell the product argue that the product is "good enough", when they don't use it themselves, especially. No one is complaining about the speed offered, they are complaining about the data caps that are lower than the current caps. That is more than a little insulting to people. People buy the high packages, not because they want to, but because they have to. If a kid needs to do homework, or even just spend time on the internet, in this day and age, what choice is there. Just because many are a captive audience with no choice, does not make it right to gouge customers. Those that know and understand the limits of satellite tech aren't expecting the high caps demanded, but with the years of massive hype this was given, there should have been an upgrade at least, not a downgrade, or such a HUGE increase in price to even stay at the now current level. The plans offered under the recovery act are more reasonable, at the prices listed. And yes Viasat has stated that they are going for the DSL market in fringe areas, offering a choice for those with slower speed, so yes, they -are- competing with DSL, they stated that in some of the press releases while it was being built/launched. Paying $60 per month with lease fee, it is quite possible for 1 person to be right up to the monthly limit, doing little more than looking at Ebay for an hour a day, on the current speed/base package. How reasonable is that?

A true upgrade would have been to give everyone 3 or 4 meg, much better than current, with the latency back to where it was in '06. Then something like 15 gigs on the BASE package, perfectly reasonable, and expected (at LEAST). That alone would have provided a much, much better browsing experience. Because again, the extra speed only really benefits large downloads or video, which can't be done without bleeding out of the wallet.

Go ahead, those that sell or service the equipment, continue to tell us consumers how wrong we are for complaining about what is being offered here, and demonstrate further the arrogant attitude that goes along with it. There used to be a saying that the customer was always right, guess that's not the case anymore. If you think these caps and prices are very reasonable yourselves, you live under their constraints and see how you like it. No one who has sold the service has responded to the fact that the service is no good if you don't have a high enough cap to utilize it.

Consumer reaction in the comments here, and many other places as well.
More Details On ViaSat's New 12 Mbps 'Exede' Service - 7.5, 15 and 25 GB Monthly Usage Caps | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

This looks good. Really good. For people not doing video or massive music downloading, I think it will be quite a good choice. Sadly, not for me at the campground where our RV is kept. Our main use would be to remotely view what is on our Dish DVR at home, two weekends per month and maybe one extra week during the summer, and no winter use. Only open 7 months of the year. At maybe 5 or 6 hours per month of slinging video, we'd be WAY over the cap. A slower speed and higher cap would be more suitable for us. But I do think this will be quite popular with a lot of people.

Oh well, I'd probably have to whack a few trees for LoS anyway. <sigh>

AlanRT said:
Sorry - What does that mean exactly?

It means you are taking advantage of the fact that people in rural areas have few options in the area you are servicing.. You're raping their wallets... I hope people finds ways around your company and it's caps(they will)..
http://stopthecap.com/

Last edited:
It would appear we are getting flamed at this point.:D.. Data caps are not going away. I read a sat media post that specifically stated, its not if but rather when. Everyone currently has Minute caps on the cell phone usage right? As i suggested its not for everyone. If it doesn't work im sure the people in those conversations that make this decisions will address..

What i can tell you is i have a large number of dealers with wait lists over 50 some well over a hundred that are chomping at the bit for this..... So what would that suggest...

Its all good guys, I can take the heat... We will see how it goes real soon... Next week

How ViaSat's Exede makes satellite broadband not suck

I would say that I'm disappointed by with what's being delivered by the new Wildblue service. (old HNS too) The increase in speed is great but the data caps are low. I'm sure there will be an increase in subscribers... but I think there
would be a lot more if the caps were adjusted upwards. I'm not trying to be negative. The service is what it is and you vote with your $'s.
I find it ironic that it's stated that "customer expectation has changed quite dramatically. Streaming video BIG TIME... It really is quite amazing. #1 is Video over PC and then a close second in growth is Streaming via TV.", but the low end data cap was decreased 23.4% from FAP to Broadband instead of going up. I would think all the tiers would have been increased with the new service. In the Endgadet video (3:23)the WB rep even states they want the new service compared to DSL/Cable, not the OLD satellite service. Shouldn't part of that comparison be the data caps? Another post it's states "2% are at usage limitations. We have done our research... tested a beam we cranked up (and didn't tell anyone)...usage went up a bit..." I have to disagree with you that this was a valid test to not increase caps. I would suspect that with FAP customers have learned to be careful with what they're doing. Kinda like the invisible dog fences... customers learn not to go over the line to avoid FAP SLAP.
The new sat is 140+GBS but is serviced by 20 regional stations with 1GB each. This doesn't not sound like that capacity of the sat will be exceeded by the ground stations. Sounds like there's some room to increase the caps. It also sounds like both compression and dictionary style WAN optimization is being used to decrease the load on the spacelinks. Why not bump the caps then. More customers means more $$.
I was looking to use this service at my farm. I've recently lost local dialup service, barely get cellular service and no DSL service. At my house the cable ISP recently sent out notices about data caps that they don't enforce but want
users to conform to or buy higher bandwidth packages. I've been looking at my usage and am surprised to see what's being used. I don't stream movies and occasionally watch missed tv episodes. This data cap issue has peaked my interest in what I'm using since I'd probably be doing the same things at the farm.
Here's the current daily and monthly usage. I believe the 2 spikes on daily are days I caught up on some missed TV episodes. I'm still drilling down to find out where all those bytes go. I consider myself a low end user. If I download 1 SUSE linux ISO image, it's about 4.5GB. It not something I do every month but it would hurt with the current cap levels.

Attachments

• Daily count.PNG
    Daily count.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 161
  • monthly bytes.PNG
    monthly bytes.PNG
    8.1 KB · Views: 137
I had meetings with HughesNet who have been watching these caps differently. When their Jupiter satellite system launches in a few months they plan on doing their caps much differently which I am guessing (and hoping) will require Wildblue to rethink their offering.

Things are going to get interesting.

I had meetings with HughesNet who have been watching these caps differently. When their Jupiter satellite system launches in a few months they plan on doing their caps much differently which I am guessing (and hoping) will require Wildblue to rethink their offering.

Things are going to get interesting.
Exactly. We have a Free Enterprise system controlled by market demand, one which works pretty well IMHO. Supply and Demands says price goes up when supply (and or competition) goes down. We all benefit by more competition. If consumers don't like what they're offered, they can; a) buy from a competitor, b) not buy at all, or c) go to the considerable time and expense to bring their own, "Cheaper/Faster/Better" product to market.

But whether a price is "fair" or not is up to the individual consumer to decide, based on his own wants, needs and circumstances. If a product or service is truly over priced, then the market will fix that eventually. I have many Satellite Internet customers in Mexico and Central America who would kill for this kind of Internet service at that price if we could make it available there. They're not at all spoiled, given the truly limited choices they have available.

BTW, I don't work for WB/Excede, or for anyone except my clients. Nor can I be insulted by someone trying to dis me as a "salesperson." Everyone lives by selling something, whether they know it or not.

Great increase in speed + little to no increase in caps = A LOT more people going over their caps = People paying more to get the greater caps. They found a way to make a bit more money without raising the price of their basic packages while making the service a lot faster for the same basic package price. I believe this is why they chose to keep the speed the same in all packages instead of making people pay more for higher speeds.

Agreed. Once you provide enough speed to handle pretty much anything a consumer does online, charging by volume instead of by speed makes the most sense.

You want twenty gallons of gas a month, you pay for twenty gallons. You want forty gallons then you pay for forty. Doesn't matter how fast you pump it.

That's how the data plans on most cell phones are set up. Does this really seem any different?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)