Will 100 HD channels be in mpeg2?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Poke is signing the same old song . Everyone know the reason there is no 100 HD channels now is because no provider had the capacity to add the channels. Now that D* is adding the capacity the channels will come. Will it be 100? Who knows, but it will definitely be more then 7-10. All these Dish lovers are falling all over themselves try to find a way to justify staying with E*. The only thing they claim is Voom. Cannot claim LocalHD, RSN's so let's claim Voom channels that the majority of E* sub say sucks. So poke stay with E* and go down with the ship. :wave

Agreeded, getting real old reading the same old song and dance. If D* does pull this off I wonder what the new line will be from them? If they don't I think I'll just run away and hide for a few years.

JimK2, the D* announcement said "DIRECTV also announced today that it currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle, with more than 70 major networks including:" so according to that they do have more just didn't announce them. Guess we'll have to wait to see what the other networks will be.

I read somewhere on the net that NBC/Universal is putting together a suite of HD channels and premiering on D* and there was talk awhile ago about Fox doing the same and if Fox does this we all know where their going to premier. :D The last 6 months of this year are going to be interesting for D* subs.

I read somewhere on the net that NBC/Universal is putting together a suite of HD channels and premiering on D* and there was talk awhile ago about Fox doing the same and if Fox does this we all know where their going to premier. :D The last 6 months of this year are going to be interesting for D* subs.

They already announced that they will have a horror movie channel, CrittersTV or something like that, can't remember the exact name, but whichever networks decide to HD will have a big lead in TV, they are going to get a lot more publicity or viewers

They already announced that they will have a horror movie channel, CrittersTV or something like that, can't remember the exact name, but whichever networks decide to HD will have a big lead in TV, they are going to get a lot more publicity or viewers

Chiller

They also have Sleuth channel.

And soon Sci-Fi and USA in HD as well.

If the new universal suites of hd channels are as good as UHD is/was, they will be a blast from the past (sarcasm)...

The answer to the original poster is that they will be MPEG-4 but as to what Resolution/bitrates they are going to be is a "Trade Secret" exclusive to DIRECTV (sarcasm).

Excluding premiums east and west and PPV these are the only real HD channels DTV has mentioned adding. I wish their were 100 different channels worthy of HD.

A&E
National Geographic
Bravo
NFL Network
Cartoon Network
SciFi Channel
CNN
Speed
Food Network
TBS
FX
The History Channel
HGTV
The Weather Channel
MTV
USA Network

I would like to see TCM, TVLAND, Comedy Channel, History Int, AMC, IFC, FOXMO, BBC, Spike, Animal Planet go HD.
Legend:
Uplinked to Dish
On Dish now

OMG, I just realized that if D* uses the same enhanced MPEG-4 encoders that E* is now using, they'll be able to announce the "capacity" for 3000 HD-LIL and 300 national HD channels. :eek:

Will they even contact me and tell me about the need for the mpeg4 DVR when national HD channels are ready, or will they just leave me out unless I contact them first? This is the major problem I have with them, unless you keeep calling the CSRs you never get an upgrade offer or news of what is coming, except of coure price increases
I just checked the specs for the HR20 and it says it's MPEG-4 enabled. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but doesn't that mean you're safe? I'm new at learning this. It just so happens we bought an HR10 less than 2 yrs ago, and now I see it'll be obsolete fairly soon. We were wondering why we got such a good deal.

Thanks for the info. Unless I get the MPEG4 DVR receiver and dish for free, it's see ya!! Directv. I guess their goal is to have a minial number of subscribers.

Well, I guess its see ya as you say.

However, I just arranged a D* upgrade at a Beverly Hills location.

They are replacing the HD-TIVO out a no charge with a HR-20 with no lease fee.

They are replacing the old RCA DCT-100 (1 active - one on standbye) for free with 2 new H-20s - no lease fee

Waived the $99 AT-9/AU-9 installation charge (actually charged me on Credit Card but immediately credited me on my D* account - go figure - I'm sure there is some tax advantage to them for this).

Gave me a $10 credit for HD each month for the next 12 months.

Thus they are replacing everything at no cost - gave me the 5 lnb and an extra $10 a month.

On top of this, they originally read off it was a 2 year committment, but stopped mid-sentence and said the computer screen was saying there was no comittment. I asked her to repeat that as I hit the memo button on the answering machine and recorded it.

So, guess you just don't know how to get the best deals.

wondering if they will be adding all thelocal digital and hd sub channels.. i.e 2-1, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 alot of these have value news and weather 24/7

Most likely not. The FCC doesn't mandate it. It's what an OTA antenna is for.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)