Will 100 HD channels be in mpeg2?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ciucca

Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
The alleged "100 HD" national channel D* is adding, are they going to be mpeg2 or mpeg4? I would prefer mpeg2, since I would not need a new dish and receiver ( I have the HD tivo). Having to get another dish twice the size of the triple LNB, would probably force me to go to FIOS or cable. I don't want another ugly dish on the roof, and I certainly don't want to pay $299 for the hd dvr, and $99 to have the monster installed, plus living in the NE (NJ) 101 is pretty low in the sky, and due to the tree line its iffy if I can see any birds lower than that.

I don't see how this business model is going to help them. Asking existing customers to shell out another $400 after I paid $300 for the HR 20 2 years ago is pretty stupid. Looks like once my contract is up in September I'm done.

BTW - They promised me a free upgrade when I got the HR20, somehow after 3 call to customer support they claim no rep was authorised to make that promise. What a joke!

All new HD will be MPEG-4 from the 99 and 103 satellite slots. Not only that, the existing MPEG-2 HD will migrate to MPEG-4, the rumor is by the end of 2008, so the HR10-250 will be limited to SD channels and HD OTA.

Thanks for the info. Unless I get the MPEG4 DVR receiver and dish for free, it's see ya!! Directv. I guess their goal is to have a minial number of subscribers.

Well 1st there not even 100 ""National Network Channels"" in HD. Most of the channels Direct spoke of at CES Show have not even launched a HD version channel yet. So again before Dish or Direct can get the channel the Network must get their HD version of the channel up 1st. Right now I did not see a list of 100 "National Channels"" of HD. Most of these 100 channels if that many even get added my guess is most of those will be ""Locals Channels" in HD. There is a difference here between "Locals Channels"" and "National Network"" channel. So right now there are very little National Channels that have gotten their HD Version of their channel up. Overall everyone will half to wait see what National Networks launch their HD version of their channel. Right now I get a kick how everyone is throwing the #100 around. When right now there is not even 100 National HD Channels. Again all providers will half to wait on the Networks to get their HD version of their channel up. So for now its just a wait see game but the only channels that are over 100 in HD are locals. Just do the math add what cities Dish and Direct have in locals in HD you might get over 100. When Dish and Direct get let's say all 50 states locals you add 4 local channels per state. Some states will have more due to big markets in their state. But 4 local channels per state would be 200 Channels of HD. But again that is ""Local Channels"" not National. My guess is there will probably be between 4-11 National Channels get their HD version up this year. A&E has a HD version of their channel which is a National Channel. But we will half to see who else gets one up this year but I don't think their will be no 100.

But we will half to wait and see what happens.

Thanks for the info. Unless I get the MPEG4 DVR receiver and dish for free, it's see ya!! Directv. I guess their goal is to have a minial number of subscribers.

No, their goal is to actually be able to provide you with more channels. The current system of satellites and MPEG2 is completely tapped out. There is literally no more room (as seen by them having even shut down TNT-HD during Sunday Ticket).

All the new sats are in different orbital locations and are KA band, located at 99 and 103. This requires the 5LNB dish to see the 2 new slots. An H20 or HR20 are the only receivers that can see these new locations, all older receivers cannot. This is just like back in the day when 101 was the only location but they added 110 and 119 to add in more channels and locals. This of course required an upgrade from the old round 18" dish to the 3LNB job you have today. And older receivers couldn't "see" 110 or 119 either. Had to upgrade your receiver if you wanted those new channels.

They are also moving to MPEG4 compression (which Dish is as well) with the new HD channels so that they can save even more bandwidth on the new sats. Again, the H20 and HR20 are required to decode MPEG4, but of course you need one of those anyway to see the new sats.

And DirecTV will certainly give you a new 5LNB and install for free. You can easily get an H20 for free. HR20 can be had for nearly free by playing CSR roulette. Most common deal for those with the HR10 is either free or $99.

Good luck.

Please note, Poke is a E* customer and loves to rag about D*.

He is correct, there are not 100 national HD channels NOW, but D* didn't say they were going to carry them NOW but in 2007, which has over 11 months to go yet. But to quote from their press release, "DIRECTV also announced today that it currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle, with more than 70 major networks including:". They also said "DIRECTV will also extend its leadership in HD sports programming by offering hundreds of games and other HD programming available from Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) around the country, including YES Network, Comcast Sports Net, New England Sports Network and FOX Sports.".

So take what HD they have now, add the more then 70 major networks that they have signed agreements with or in principle, plus the RSN's, and throw in the Voom channels and they could probably reach that number by the end 2007.

Poke just keeps hoping that he's right so he won't be left in the dust with E*;)

Also also mentioned by Scott, call D*, ask for rentention if the 1st level folks don't make a deal, and you'll probably come out with a good deal.

I'm not looking to leave. I'm just not sure what the F&^% is going on. After the replies here I guess I will get alot more HD channels, I will need a new HD DVR and dish, which I guess I will have to beg for (CSR roulette). I'm willing to wait and see what happens. Does anyone know when D* will contact me with an offer to upgrade? Will it be early or later in the year. I live in the NYC market in NJ.

Will they even contact me and tell me about the need for the mpeg4 DVR when national HD channels are ready, or will they just leave me out unless I contact them first? This is the major problem I have with them, unless you keeep calling the CSRs you never get an upgrade offer or news of what is coming, except of coure price increases

Will they even contact me and tell me about the need for the mpeg4 DVR when national HD channels are ready, or will they just leave me out unless I contact them first? This is the major problem I have with them, unless you keeep calling the CSRs you never get an upgrade offer or news of what is coming, except of coure price increases

Do you really expect however many subs D* has to be called to be informed of changes being done ?
Do you want to start calling all these people ?

IF you were not on sites like this one, as a normal sub, you would have no clue that any of this was happening.

On another note,
D* will have approx. 100 HD channels, as posted, they WILL be "National Channels" NOT Locals.
Many of these channels are waiting to light up thier HD channels, till there IS a provider to carry them, don't make, much sense to light up their HD if no one can watch them.

Jimbo

It is generally all in the website once officially released info or sent as an in-bill announcement. I have never, not been aware of official changes , upgrades or enhancements.

Sure...whether it is an auto-message, email, or piece of mail.

Don't see that being such a big deal
Correction, he wanted a phone call when he happened to be home too, I bet.

Yes they could do an email, but not everyone is on D"s email list, or they could send a message on your reciever, I have not seen D* send any messages in years, but they could.

If they sent info in your mail bill, most do not read their inserts, and would get passed over.

Jimbo

Correction, he wanted a phone call when he happened to be home too, I bet.

Yes they could do an email, but not everyone is on D"s email list, or they could send a message on your reciever, I have not seen D* send any messages in years, but they could.

If they sent info in your mail bill, most do not read their inserts, and would get passed over.

Jimbo

If D* made an effort and did such things, it would be the consumers fault.

or they could send a message on your reciever, I have not seen D* send any messages in years, but they could.

Agreeded, they used to do it all the time now you never see one. My D* Tivo's used to get one when new software features were coming out or the phone numbers in my area where changing but that's it.

D is already having specials for you to upgrade. If you go under your account and click to upgrade you can get an HD receiver, the 5 LNB dish and installation all for free. If you want the HD DVR then they charge you $199 for it. So it is not that bad to upgrade. If you dont like those I am sure you can call retention and get a little better deal. For 100 HD channels, I can pay $199!

I'm not looking to leave. I'm just not sure what the F&^% is going on. After the replies here I guess I will get alot more HD channels, I will need a new HD DVR and dish, which I guess I will have to beg for (CSR roulette). I'm willing to wait and see what happens. Does anyone know when D* will contact me with an offer to upgrade? Will it be early or later in the year. I live in the NYC market in NJ.

D is already having specials for you to upgrade. If you go under your account and click to upgrade you can get an HD receiver, the 5 LNB dish and installation all for free. If you want the HD DVR then they charge you $199 for it. So it is not that bad to upgrade. If you dont like those I am sure you can call retention and get a little better deal. For 100 HD channels, I can pay $199!

Some folks see this,some don't, depending upon how much D* values you as a customer (bill-paying habits, package purchased) and how long it has been since your last "special offer." They usually make you wait six months between the good deals.

Whatever your deal on the DVR or receiver, the dish and install are free.

I don't know why everyone is speculating and has this mad desire to make Directv look bad. Who cares? Why would they spend so much money in this upgrade process to add 7 channels? You know what, we will see when it gets in orbit right. Right now, I would be glad to have 7 more channels of HD. I can't watch them all anyway. Choice is good. What about all their PPV, could that go up? What about all the news channels FOX, CNN, you think they are going to sit back? The channels that want to be leaders and see the opportunity will not wait for DirecTV to call. All the subs that want more HD aren't going to wait for Directv to call. Speculate, speculate, speculate, but in about 5 months I'll be able to read about how crappy the 70 new HD channels look. I'm just glad I got to see the Bears play in HD all year when I don't live in Chicago. That only happens with one service. Thank you Directv.

Excluding premiums east and west and PPV these are the only real HD channels DTV has mentioned adding. I wish their were 100 different channels worthy of HD.

A&E
National Geographic
Bravo
NFL Network
Cartoon Network
SciFi Channel
CNN
Speed
Food Network
TBS
FX
The History Channel
HGTV
The Weather Channel
MTV
USA Network

I would like to see TCM, TVLAND, Comedy Channel, History Int, AMC, IFC, FOXMO, BBC, Spike, Animal Planet go HD.

JimK2, the D* announcement said "DIRECTV also announced today that it currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle, with more than 70 major networks including:" so according to that they do have more just didn't announce them. Guess we'll have to wait to see what the other networks will be.

Poke is signing the same old song . Everyone know the reason there is no 100 HD channels now is because no provider had the capacity to add the channels. Now that D* is adding the capacity the channels will come. Will it be 100? Who knows, but it will definitely be more then 7-10. All these Dish lovers are falling all over themselves try to find a way to justify staying with E*. The only thing they claim is Voom. Cannot claim LocalHD, RSN's so let's claim Voom channels that the majority of E* sub say sucks. So poke stay with E* and go down with the ship. :wave

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)