Will a 1.2m or Larger Antenna Get Missing Expressvu Transponders IN CA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

M Law

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
OK guys, I have read the forums and I have to say I am confused (not an unusual state, just ask my wife). There has been lots of discussion about whether a larger dish will pull in the missing Expressvu HD channels in centeral/southern California, but I can't tell if anyone has successfully done it or not.

I am in the San Luis Obispo area, halfway between LA and San Fran, and since I am off work next week and have the time, I was thinking of buying a 1.2 meter antenna and trying to regain what I have lost. Is a 1.2 meter big enough? Has anyone had any luck at all?

I had looked at buying a 1m a few months ago, but because of work and travel, I have been unable to do so. I have also been unable to read the forum until of late, so from what I can see, I think I am glad I waited.

It's just hard to sort it all out. I don't want to throw away $200 if I don't have to, so please speak up and give me that sage advice I have come to expect from here. I would even consider going larger if need be, a 1.6 if there is such a thing.

One last thing, if a larger dish will work, then any suggestions in either the LA or San Fran area on a dealer who is reasonable? There is nothing where I am, too small a town.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

First off, I would like to hello to a fellow san luis obispo county resident, how are you? A 1.2 meter dish will be of no use what so ever in trying to regain your lost transponders on bev. It has something to do with nimiq 3 and the way the satellite is postioned, it spells bad news for us here in california. Even if you were to put up a 10 ft. dish, it would not be able to bring those transponders. So don't waste your money on a dish. I'm sure somebody else will provide a more technical explanation of the problem.

regards
Rufus_74

And quite honestly, a 1.2M today doesnt mean it will work tomorrow.

I tried a 1.2M to restore missing channels on the East Coast. It worked for 3 weeks until they decided to play around with those more.

It's put those now under the threshold of what the STB will accept.

It seems as though I may as well give up on trying to restore my BEV service. As another option, is anyone getting StarChoice service in So. Ca.? If so, what HD do they offer, in addition to the U.S. networks?

SC will work all the way down to the Mexican border

HD on SC (besides the nets)
CBC
CTV
TSN
Sportsnet
Movie Central or the MOcie Network

Go to the CANADIAN SOLUTION section of the Global Communications website for technical information on the Star Choice service.
www.global-cm.net

Bell ExpressVu is a lost cause in southern and central California, and many of their former customers have successfully switched to Star Choice with great results.
Signals are stable, and you don't need a monster antenna; a 75 cm Elliptical with their "Quad" LNBF allows easy access to both Anik F1R and F2 satellites.

Happy Canada Day/Independence Day weekend!

To my fellow Californians reading this.

This is the main reason why I sold my 6100 last month, and had to end my contract with my broker earlier then the year commitment.

My signal loss when to zero on the main HD channels I used to watch on Bell.
Bell lost my business for now, and in the near future if they restore all channels like they used to be, I will be back once again with my dearest broker :)

If you have the chance to sell your 6100, do it now and get the most $$ you can. I sold mine for a good amount on ebay, which pretty much covered the cost of the 6100 + the cancellation fee i was charged for ending my 1 year contract early.

Can anyone in California (or Phoenix, AZ) post current signal strength for transponders for Bell on 91 and 82, please? Or even just like the transponders that are 0.

Much appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)