Will a wireless phone jack work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blitzpb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
I am getting my DTV HD DVR installed today. I understand that I need to have a phone hooked up at all times to get the required updates. I have two options for this. Run a phone line under the carpet and to the jack. Use one of those phone jacks that plug into the house power. I think I would rather run the wireless jack if I can. Has anyone tried these yet?

Nick

blitzpb said:
I am getting my DTV HD DVR installed today. I understand that I need to have a phone hooked up at all times to get the required updates. I have two options for this. Run a phone line under the carpet and to the jack. Use one of those phone jacks that plug into the house power. I think I would rather run the wireless jack if I can. Has anyone tried these yet?

Nick

I've been using the house power phone jacks for nearly six years and haven't had any trouble.

blitzpb said:

Nick

I just went throught this myself. I bought the RCA wireless phone jack setup and it did not work. I then found out there was a difference between wireless phone jacks and wireless modem jacks. I bought the RCA wireless modem jacks and they worked like a champ.
So like the other poster suggested about "modem quality" is correct. Make sure you get a wireless modem jack and not just wireless phone jacks.
Hope this helps,
Randy

The local install company in Columbus (Bluegrass Satellite) carries wireless phone jacks. When we got a HR20-250, we bought one from them for $35. It said nothing about modem quality but it worked and it seemed like a good price so I'm glad I got it. It has worked for over a year so I might recommend a GE jack. Home Depot carries GE wireless jacks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.