Will D* be adding new Premium channels anytime soon?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

satfrat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Aug 12, 2005
Rutland, Vermont
Just thought I'd ask if there's any info on either upgrading exiting premium channels to HD or adding Premium channel that are not now available? There are channels available in the Starz package on C-Band that aren't included in the D* lineup and I'm about ready to renew my subscription for my C-band package. I'd like to just upgrade my D* package to Premier as there are more HD channels available than on C-band but I'd be losing movie channels also. So I thought maybe someone has knowledge of Premium channel upgrades?

Thanks,
Robin

The only 'official' thing I've seen is this press release The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - DIRECTV to Offer 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels in HD which says "In addition to the HBO (East) HD channel it currently offers, DIRECTV will launch the following HBO/Cinemax channels in full-time HD: HBO West, HBO2 West, HBO2 East, HBO Family East, HBO Family West, HBO Latino, HBO Signature, Cinemax East, Cinemax West and MoreMax. The channels will begin rolling out in September and continue to launch through the rest of the year. DIRECTV currently carries each of these channels in standard-definition."

I would love to see Directv add the (15) Voom HD channels! For those not aware of them, Voom has their own unique channels with great programming that is in the highest HD out there, with zero commercials. I used to be a dish user but since dish dropped Voom I switched to Directv. I would switch again to anyone whom picks up Voom HD in my area and it would be great to see Directv pick those channels up as I 've been very happy with the service thus far. Voom HD had channels like the Treasure HD, Equator HD, Ultra HD, Rush HD, Rave HD, Monsters HD, KungFu HD, HD news, Filmfest HD, and many others!

The only 'official' thing I've seen is this press release The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - DIRECTV to Offer 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels in HD which says "In addition to the HBO (East) HD channel it currently offers, DIRECTV will launch the following HBO/Cinemax channels in full-time HD: HBO West, HBO2 West, HBO2 East, HBO Family East, HBO Family West, HBO Latino, HBO Signature, Cinemax East, Cinemax West and MoreMax. The channels will begin rolling out in September and continue to launch through the rest of the year. DIRECTV currently carries each of these channels in standard-definition."

Did you not notice that article was from June of LAST YEAR? (2007)

While I fully expect them to add new channels when the new sat is up and live later this year, this article applies to last year's sat launch and applied to last year's new HD. The new HBO HD adds was in 2007, an empty promise. They ran out of room with other channels before they could add additional premiums, so I'll excuse them for last year. This go round they better add more premiums. I'll accept the 11 new channels, but let's all keep in mind that HBO has all 26 HBO/Max channels now available in HD. I'd like to see them all in HD on DirecTV one day. Cable operators across America have all 26 HBO/Max SD channels and I have no doubt that when SDV is fully implemented, many of them will pick up all 26, and probably all Showtimes as well.

I am new to DirecTV and love it, but let's face it, they have neglected the premiums for a decade. I had HBO Zone and HBO Comedy 10 years before many D* suscribers knew they existed. Many still don't know they exist. Not to mention the Cinemax multichannels.

Yes I did notice the date, but as I said it was the only thing that I've seen about adding new premium movie channels and yep they didn't make their plan.

I would love to see Directv add the (15) Voom HD channels! For those not aware of them, Voom has their own unique channels with great programming that is in the highest HD out there, with zero commercials. I used to be a dish user but since dish dropped Voom I switched to Directv. I would switch again to anyone whom picks up Voom HD in my area and it would be great to see Directv pick those channels up as I 've been very happy with the service thus far. Voom HD had channels like the Treasure HD, Equator HD, Ultra HD, Rush HD, Rave HD, Monsters HD, KungFu HD, HD news, Filmfest HD, and many others!

15 channels of Voom or 15 HD HBO/Max/Showtimes?? Gee that is a hard decision.

Actually.... it is a no-brainer... I'll take the HBOs and Cinemax channels. Voom is crap. Monsters HD was good until Nov of last year but that is about it.

Voom needs to consildate to 3-5 channels and just call them, Voom, Voom Too, Voom Tres, 4Voom, Vo5om... or some crap like that.

Yes I did notice the date, but as I said it was the only thing that I've seen about adding new premium movie channels and yep they didn't make their plan.

Really..... we need an update on their plans... I am with you on this... believe me... I am a movie person.

While I fully expect them to add new channels when the new sat is up and live later this year, this article applies to last year's sat launch and applied to last year's new HD. The new HBO HD adds was in 2007, an empty promise. They ran out of room with other channels before they could add additional premiums, so I'll excuse them for last year. This go round they better add more premiums. I'll accept the 11 new channels, but let's all keep in mind that HBO has all 26 HBO/Max channels now available in HD. I'd like to see them all in HD on DirecTV one day. Cable operators across America have all 26 HBO/Max SD channels and I have no doubt that when SDV is fully implemented, many of them will pick up all 26, and probably all Showtimes as well.

I am new to DirecTV and love it, but let's face it, they have neglected the premiums for a decade. I had HBO Zone and HBO Comedy 10 years before many D* suscribers knew they existed. Many still don't know they exist. Not to mention the Cinemax multichannels.

Could be wrong but I seem to remember that at that time they said that HBO/Cinemax channels would go HD in 2008 and that Directv would carry 11 of them.

Could be wrong but I seem to remember that at that time they said that HBO/Cinemax channels would go HD in 2008 and that Directv would carry 11 of them.

I hope you are right! Especially with today's sat guys main page showing a bunch of new HBO HDs for Dish Networks.... we must not let them get ahead again!

I'm sure D* will add all of the channels announced by E* as soon as D11 comes online. The question is can they do it before E* does. It'd be cool if D* does in order to steal E*'s thunder.

Well I decided to stay with my C-band Premium channels for 1 more year. The standard digital picture are excellent, I do have 5 HD channels and the C-band pricing is still quite the deal. But if by this time next year D* has done some major HD upgrades to their Premium packages, then switching to Premier will be a nobrainer. Thanks for all the help tho. :up

Cheers,
Robin

I really don't want to have to pay $ 20 for the HBO package to allow them to show 26 channels, btw, how many of them are repeats on a different time frame (east vs west) ?

I don't see HBO going higher, if they want to keep their base, they may need to go lower - programming is dropping.

The reason for the delay in more HBO - they are switching to a MPEG4 distribution setup for ALL their stations, HBO & MAX. This wasn't ready at the time that D10 satellite was filled, so it was put off until the D11 sat is up. That said, I haven't heard if everything is done on the HBO end, but they originally said spring 2008, so it should be.

I don't see HBO going higher, if they want to keep their base, they may need to go lower - programming is dropping.

The reason for the delay in more HBO - they are switching to a MPEG4 distribution setup for ALL their stations, HBO & MAX. This wasn't ready at the time that D10 satellite was filled, so it was put off until the D11 sat is up. That said, I haven't heard if everything is done on the HBO end, but they originally said spring 2008, so it should be.

With Dish adding the slew of HBO hds next month, I would think Direct would have the same ready to go when D11 fires up. Showtime had named a list of 8 channels that would be hd by August. More by early 2009.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13990635&postcount=8

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)