Will D* Use Some of the Additional Bandwidth for More SD Channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john262

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2005
Will all of that bandwidth from the new bird be used for HD? What about those of us who don't have and can't afford HD sets, not to mention the extra fee that D* tacks on for getting HD? Can we get something out of this too?

Will all of that bandwidth from the new bird be used for HD? What about those of us who don't have and can't afford HD sets, not to mention the extra fee that D* tacks on for getting HD? Can we get something out of this too?

Not to be a smartass, but what else is there that's not already out there in SD? If you want cool stuff in SD, try Fios if it's available to you. I just got it and as nice as the HD quality is, I'm really digging the Military History Channel and channels like Sleuth and ESPNU, which I didn't get or have to option of getting with Comcast. The PQ for Fios on my 10 year old 27 inch tv is leaps and bounds better than cable.

They COULD use a bit of the bandwidth to improve the signal on thier SD channels.
Agreed, what the studio shots on The Weather Channel HD looks like now is what the SD version should look like all the time. If you got The Weather Channel Direct off of CBand it would look much like what we are seeing on the HD feed.

Its too bad the HD recievers are expensive or they could phase out the SD channels all together as the HD versions come online and simply ouput to the non HD sets via AV cables. I know I had an old Hughes E86 HIRD doing that to a 19" Sony trinitron tube TV. That would reclaim even more bandwidth.

i think the only way to get specialty channels like that (cnn international) is to go with a c-band dish setup, i don't think any provided will add those channels to their line-up

I think I read awhile ago that DirecTV will bring in an additional SD channel when Noggin/The N (ch. 298) becomes separated…and one of these two replaces Nickelodeon Games and Sports (currently not available on DirecTV, GAS is on Dish Network and many cable systems).

It owuld be nice since there are probably....oh I dont know...maybe about 12 million or so of us? I guess Directv doesnt think we are important though only those 3 or 4 million with hdtv sets should be catered to the rest of us can go and take a long walk off a short peir in their view. Dont get me wrong though...I am glad that people who can affortd and have Hd got new channels but I am sick of seeing it under every forum. Cant us regular people have a forum as well without telling me everday how bad my SD sucks? I like my SD...it looks good to me and I dont have 3000 dollars to spend on a hd tv with 10 billion mirrors in it and displays pictures in 1080xyz. Anyway sorry about the rant but HD guys please dont make us feel bad because we dont have HD.

Directv will in time do away with the Mpeg2 HD channels I've heard 6mos-1Yr. time frame. After that they will use the extra band width to improve SD picture quality or add more SD channels.

Anyone with the old HD equipment H10,HR10,etc should seek to upgrade their equipment soon or the only HD you will be watching will be the off the air channels.

Matt

bmer, you can get a very good 32" HD set for less the 750 dollars. less the what you pay D* for 1 year of service. Something to think about.

i can see it now,,,, an individual channel for every show ever made...its here,, what you've been waiting for, "The Leave it to Beaver Channel" all beaver, all the time ! "Ward, don't you think you should play with the beaver tonight?"

The Beaver

all beaver, all the time ! "Ward, don't you think you should play with the beaver tonight?"

They're gonna most definitely want extra for that channel!

Oh wait, you're talking about that classic tv show from the 50's & 60's.... Um, oh, nevermind... :D

I know that there are about 7 Cinemax channels and we only get 3. I'm sure there are HBOs and Showtimes that we are missing too. SD will be around for a long time since most people don't know what is needed to watch HD and most of them don't care.

It owuld be nice since there are probably....oh I dont know...maybe about 12 million or so of us? I guess Directv doesnt think we are important though only those 3 or 4 million with hdtv sets should be catered to the rest of us can go and take a long walk off a short peir in their view. Dont get me wrong though...I am glad that people who can affortd and have Hd got new channels but I am sick of seeing it under every forum. Cant us regular people have a forum as well without telling me everday how bad my SD sucks? I like my SD...it looks good to me and I dont have 3000 dollars to spend on a hd tv with 10 billion mirrors in it and displays pictures in 1080xyz. Anyway sorry about the rant but HD guys please dont make us feel bad because we dont have HD.

Ok I have to chime in here at this point. all you SD only peeps out there.
For whatever reason you seem to think that you are getting shafted by D* with this round of upgrades. Well welcome to the club!;) D* has been steadily adding SD channels since 2004. Meanwhile those of us looking for HD content have had to wait patiently (in some cases not so patiently) with every sat launch for D* to throw us a bone.
I'm not saying that you SD'ers shoulde be locked out of further channel additions, only suggesting that when viewed from the perspective of those of us who have been waiting 3+ years for programming additions while new SD channels appear with nearly every sat launch prior to D10, it might appear that some patience with the SD side of might be in order.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts