Will DirectTV work at my apartment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lilylover

Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Austin
I have an installation appointment next Tuesday, but in the meantime I would like some opinions.

I live on the first floor of an apartment complex. When you walk straight out onto my balcony, you are facing north. If you turn to the left, parallel to the apartment building, you are facing southwest. I have a nice view of the southwestern sky, but direct south faces right into the back of my apartment, so I know there's no way I could have the satelitte dish facing direct south. I am hoping to get HD satellite signal. What are the chances of this working with only southwestern sky?

If there's no chance I will just call an cancel the installation. Thank you!

It depends on how far east you are--if your balcony view is dead north, and you have a view out the side of the apartment complex to the southwest, you should be able to shoot down the side of the apartment complex--the dish may have to hang over the balcony rail, but it should be able to be done.

--Nat

I have an installation appointment next Tuesday, but in the meantime I would like some opinions.

I live on the first floor of an apartment complex. When you walk straight out onto my balcony, you are facing north. If you turn to the left, parallel to the apartment building, you are facing southwest. I have a nice view of the southwestern sky, but direct south faces right into the back of my apartment, so I know there's no way I could have the satelitte dish facing direct south. I am hoping to get HD satellite signal. What are the chances of this working with only southwestern sky?

You might be out of luck. But if you don't mind taking time off from work, the installer might come up with something that will work. If he can not, then no install, no charge. I have seen some crazy looking installs.

You can go buy a $12 map compass and do a fast site survey.

Help Fayette Ohio

We live in a apartment in Fayette Ohio and would like to get DiretTV installed. The landlord bosses stated that it is breaking some code to run the line from the satellite dish under the patio door that does not open and it can only be installed on the patio where there is not any good line of sight. The only place the guy form DircTV said he could in in the flower bed of in the corner next to a bedroom window and it would be mounted on a pole. Is that even legally? I would appreciate any help.

We live in a apartment in Fayette Ohio and would like to get DiretTV installed. The landlord bosses stated that it is breaking some code to run the line from the satellite dish under the patio door that does not open and it can only be installed on the patio where there is not any good line of sight. The only place the guy form DircTV said he could in in the flower bed of in the corner next to a bedroom window and it would be mounted on a pole. Is that even legally? I would appreciate any help.

As for the pole mount, I would highly recommend it.

Breaking any rules to run under a door ? Not breaking any rules, but, how is it getting into the apt ?

The patio door they would be useing is a fix door. You cannot open it. The land lord said that by running the cable under the that door that it is breacking some code or zoning law. When the DirecTv guy came out to look things over he sudjusted a pole mount but the land lord say that would be breaking another rule. Is there some law Federal law that the land lord has to abide by?

The patio door they would be useing is a fix door. You cannot open it. The land lord said that by running the cable under the that door that it is breacking some code or zoning law. When the DirecTv guy came out to look things over he sudjusted a pole mount but the land lord say that would be breaking another rule. Is there some law Federal law that the land lord has to abide by?

No law about placing a pole mount, however the door thing is kinda strange.

I would look into this product and go thru a different area, the actual door (not the floor) or a window.

Pole mounts are done all the time.

Here's another option :
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...indow-Cable-(FC300LX)&c=RG-6 Coax Cables&sku=

Last edited:
The DirecTV guy gave me a some cable to try to get it under the Fixed door and you can get it under. We have two patio doors it the style were only one can open and the one side cannot. It also has a rubber under it. It is hard getting the wirer under it but you are able. On one hand we are thinking of moving out of the current apartment and move into one were you can install a dish no problem.

The DirecTV guy gave me a some cable to try to get it under the Fixed door and you can get it under. We have two patio doors it the style were only one can open and the one side cannot. It also has a rubber under it. It is hard getting the wirer under it but you are able. On one hand we are thinking of moving out of the current apartment and move into one were you can install a dish no problem.

Thats an option, not a good one I'd imagine, but an option none the less.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)