Will DirecTV make HD programming "standard" (no extra cost)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

StarSeeker

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Any information on if HD reception is going to become "standard" with DirecTV?

What I mean by that is; when last I checked, they charge a premium to get HD programming. Which is unfortunate because I'm already paying much more than I did when I signed up in 2002.

Since the new broadcast standard will be HD in 2009, will DirecTV continue to charge a premium to keep up with the broadcast quality of local OTA stations?

While I'm asking, is it possible to get a better receiver, maybe one which is HD-capable, without having to upgrade to an even more expensive service? I have the old RCA 2002 model receiver, currently.

The 2009 OTA standard will be digital, not necessarily HD. All Directv channels are already digital. At some point (probably not for several years), there may be a preponderance of HD such that it becomes the default for all accounts but right now the vast majority of subscribers are only SD.

It would be a shame if DirecTV increased its rates ANOTHER $10. It's already expensive enough I'm not sure if I will continue. There are just a few channels left which I appreciate (e.g. HIST, TDC, NGC, CNN). Channels like SciFi lost their appeal in 2003.

As for HD being standard; all the local broadcast stations in my area have multiple HD channels. Now, SD programming is starting to feel "antiquated". It seems a shame to pay $60/mo just to get minimal SD programming from DirecTV; especially when I can only tune in one channel at a time (unless I pay to use another receiver which I have to buy myself).

The answer is no, not without a price increase. That would mean superfan would come standard too right? Fat chance from those greedy *(&(^*&%^)!

The answer is no, not without a price increase. That would mean superfan would come standard too right? Fat chance from those greedy *(&(^*&%^)!

Awwww, come on Vurb, it's such a nice day and all... The OP was comparing his bill with what he paid in 2003, come on...what the heck costs the same as it did in '03? D* has put some serious funds into sats etc...to bring this all to us and basically bailed on charging for SF on the NFL this year to practically anyone that asks. Always a choice out there. Don't get it, get it or in my friend Vurbano's case, get it and then complain like crazy!:p

I think the milestone for that, if ever, will be the point at which most stations drop their SD channel. As long as SD is, well, the standard, they will charge extra.

The OP was comparing his bill with what he paid in 2003, come on...what the heck costs the same as it did in '03?

Actually comparing the bill to '03 wasn't my main issue. I was simply saying that with the disproportionate incrases in rates (my bill is nearly double what it was in '03 btw - only gas has gone up faster) that it would be a shame to have to pay even more just to keep up with current standards.

As for value, though; I feel "cable" stations in general are of less value than they once were. Much of the original programming has gone downhill drastically (e.g. SciFi, USA, TNT) and many of the old classic channels are just jokes now (e.g. MTV). I wish there were an option to get just my favorites without paying for the bulk of the stations I couldn't care less about anymore.

agregjones said:
I think the milestone for that, if ever, will be the point at which most stations drop their SD channel. As long as SD is, well, the standard, they will charge extra

But that's just it; SD is quickly becoming antiquated. I would think the milestone would be not as much a matter of if the stations are dropping their SD channels as much as if most of them have HD. Really, the only reason to have SD at all anymore is the cost of upgrading the hardware to HD.

I for one think the Hd fee's are ridiculus. $10 for the first HD pack, then $5 more for the HD extra pack. Whats next ? Nickel and dimeing us to death. I'm thinking eventually there won't be a HD charge. Why pay extra for a HD channel you already get in standard. I dont mind paying $10, but when they charged $5 more, that was it for me, enough already. The way they are charging for HD channels( if the extra charges don't stop ), eventually our $100 bills will be $200-$300 a month

But that's just it; SD is quickly becoming antiquated. I would think the milestone would be not as much a matter of if the stations are dropping their SD channels as much as if most of them have HD. Really, the only reason to have SD at all anymore is the cost of upgrading the hardware to HD.

The vast majority of folks don't have HD equipment. Though we are somewhat biased, the SD equipment is far from being antiquated when it is the overwhelming majority (I believe I heard 83%).

I for one think the Hd fee's are ridiculus. $10 for the first HD pack, then $5 more for the HD extra pack. Whats next ? Nickel and dimeing us to death. I'm thinking eventually there won't be a HD charge. Why pay extra for a HD channel you already get in standard. I dont mind paying $10, but when they charged $5 more, that was it for me, enough already. The way they are charging for HD channels( if the extra charges don't stop ), eventually our $100 bills will be $200-$300 a month

Agreed 100%:up

Actually comparing the bill to '03 wasn't my main issue. I was simply saying that with the disproportionate incrases in rates (my bill is nearly double what it was in '03 btw - only gas has gone up faster) that it would be a shame to have to pay even more just to keep up with current standards.

As for value, though; I feel "cable" stations in general are of less value than they once were. Much of the original programming has gone downhill drastically (e.g. SciFi, USA, TNT) and many of the old classic channels are just jokes now (e.g. MTV). I wish there were an option to get just my favorites without paying for the bulk of the stations I couldn't care less about anymore.

Well , you can go elsewhere , but as you already pointed out, Cable is just as bad, prices will always increase yearly regardless, with ALL providers, not just D*.

The only way to do what you want, (pick your channels for your price) would be to go to C-Band where you can choose your channels ala carte.

Your estimation about all channels being in HD and SD is no longer needed is WAY off base ...... Those with HD sets in the USA STILL are under 20 % of the sets in use today.
Thats cutting a lot of programming off to 80 % of the public.

Jimbo

Really ?
Too much for you ?
They added a HD pack, (I too think it should have been all one) but at least you have the option to have it or not... your NOT paying for the extra unless you want it.

Jimbo

I don't have as big a problem with the $10 HD Access charge as I do with the Super Fan charges on the various sports packages. The $10 HD Access fee should get you the HD counterpart (if available) for whatever you are paying to receive, such as MLB Extra Innings or NFL Sunday Ticket.

Well , you can go elsewhere , but as you already pointed out, Cable is just as bad, prices will always increase yearly regardless, with ALL providers, not just D*.

The only way to do what you want, (pick your channels for your price) would be to go to C-Band where you can choose your channels ala carte.

Your estimation about all channels being in HD and SD is no longer needed is WAY off base ...... Those with HD sets in the USA STILL are under 20 % of the sets in use today.
Thats cutting a lot of programming off to 80 % of the public.

Jimbo

C-band doesn't seem to be a viable option anymore. Have you checked C-band provider's websites lately? I have a dish and was thinking about maybe playing around on the band again, but it looks like C-band for consumers is almost dead.

So all new subs will pay at least 9.99 more a month if all they have is hd receivers to install.
Not at all. HD boxes are capable of passing HD signals, but are not required to pass HD signals for them to work. SD works just fine on those boxes. Just as you can easily turn you HD box to an SD channel now, that is what would happen for someone without an HD set.

I think you misunderstood me. DIRECTV REQUIRES all hd receivers charge a 9.99 TECH fee in order to operate them. THis means that if all new receivers are hd only , that the subs will all be charged 9.99 more than the subs with sd receivers. This means that either Directv will hike the price of all programming by 9.99 or they will charge all subs 9.99 . Either way you will pay it if you are a new sub in the future.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)