Will dish not have the Disney channels come September?

Toss me in the "diehard" sport fan group...and the fact the contract expires in the middle of ESPN's portion of race season just makes it worse for me. I get that Dish is never going to be a big player in sports, and can live with the current offerings for my sports needs, but if ESPN disappears, that'll mean its time for me to eat the ETF and move on. I know there are a lot of folks who don't want sports channels at all, and I fully support having sports channels a separate "sports" package, such that those folks wouldn't have to take them. I just don't see that happening, unfortunately. It IS encouraging to see Scott's post above that the sides are already working on negotiations...though recent Dish history of such negotiations still makes me nervous.

Toss me in the "diehard" sport fan group...and the fact the contract expires in the middle of ESPN's portion of race season just makes it worse for me. I get that Dish is never going to be a big player in sports, and can live with the current offerings for my sports needs, but if ESPN disappears, that'll mean its time for me to eat the ETF and move on. I know there are a lot of folks who don't want sports channels at all, and I fully support having sports channels a separate "sports" package, such that those folks wouldn't have to take them. I just don't see that happening, unfortunately. It IS encouraging to see Scott's post above that the sides are already working on negotiations...though recent Dish history of such negotiations still makes me nervous.

i agree, as a fellow NASCAR Fan, i think NASCAR needs to realize that Dish and Disney aren't getting along and when the contract expires and ESPN is gone, NASCAR would have to go hard on promoting a "Please switch to (insert other provider's name here) to see these races on ESPN, as Dish has decided to drop the ESPN networks from their lineup" i bet if Dish loses ESPN temporary, it's gonna lead to people going to other people's houses, bars, or illegal webstreams to catch all their sporting events on ESPN until the dispute is resolved.

Dish and Disney needs to settle this now or else it will be the AMC dispute all over again except it's worse.

Being a parent, I would hate if these two companies couldn't work out a deal somehow. If they can't I suppose we can always just use iTunes to get the episodes of the shows my kids watch.

So dish will pay Disney higher fees to make up for perceive decline in revenue due auto hop?

If that is true what will be the new Dish fees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So dish will pay Disney higher fees to make up for perceive decline in revenue due auto hop?

If that is true what will be the new Dish fees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know all the details but,I don't see how a contract with disney/espn would involve local abc stations.As mentioned there are only a handful of disney owned abc affiliates.Autohop doesn't work on espn or disney channels.Dish also won a judgement against ESPN over the most favored nation clause,albeit a very minor win,I still think that it would factor into new contract negotiations.Will our rates rise?I'm sure they will,but I don't believe it would be something appalling.We'll just have to wait and see.

I don't like the autohop feature. The 30-second skip forward button on the remote was suffice and nobody seemed to really complain. I'm afraid now that the companies are going to force commercials before you get to the actual content--like they do online... Or, even worse, really throw their weight around and make any 'skip' feature not available during advertisement sections--like they do at the beginning of blu-ray disks... GAH, I cringe just thinking about the annoyance of that. ..Takes 6 minutes of fighting the beginning to get to the "Feature Presentation"!!!

This gloom and doom Sh** is getting out of control, folks!!!! WHEN there is something to jump off the bridge about, let me know and I will video you taking the fall. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I dont think speculating on fees is accomplishing much. Providers are already paying a LOT for ESPN, but ESPN is now hurting and there is a lot more to negotiate. Dish needs ESPNU and News in HD, and WatchESPN is also something ESPN is throwing out there now.

Since both parties seem to be wanting to work it out, and need each other, lets hope it works out for the best. I personally would be willing to accept a slight increase if I got U and News in HD as well as access to WatchESPN. Its the increases when I havent gotten anything, or have lost channels that pisses me off.

I personally would be willing to accept a slight increase if I got U and News in HD as well as access to WatchESPN. Its the increases when I havent gotten anything, or have lost channels that pisses me off.

Agreed 100%. I am a sports guy and would really like those two in HD. The other piece I wonder about is the SEC Network that will launch next year and the Longhorn Network . Would ESPN want those to be included as RSN's for the various areas of the country and added to the multi-sports pack for those not in the area?

If dish drops Disney channels then I'll drop dish. It's as simple as that. It's bad enough espn u isn't in hd and no Disney jr either so a measly " oh we're sorry about Disney but we can offer you 5.00 off for 6 months" ? Isn't going to cut it. I'm sick of these disputes. I like dish and although there are minor hiccups to the service for the most part it's not too bad. We as the customer suffer in the end from the dropping of channels.
Ok,then what do you propose? What if Dish say "you know what,we aren't going to fight anymore to keep rates reasonable". Are you willing to pay a $10 increase,$20 dollar increase,whats your tolerance limit? Your displeasure needs to be directed at Disney/ABC. Have you complained to them of your concern over how they conduct business? And if you have I'm curious on what their response was.

Ok,then what do you propose? What if Dish say "you know what,we aren't going to fight anymore to keep rates reasonable". Are you willing to pay a $10 increase,$20 dollar increase,whats your tolerance limit? Your displeasure needs to be directed at Disney/ABC. Have you complained to them of your concern over how they conduct business? And if you have I'm curious on what their response was.

Well I am renewing my 2 year contract with dish. I'm getting two hoppers with sling. I would of had 4 months left on my 2 years anyways. So even if dish loses Disney channels I would have to pay an etf to leave. I'd much rather they fight Disney to keep the rates reasonable. Hopefully they'll work out a deal before their contract expires.

Well see what happens and being a college sports fan all the way it would be nice to get all the channels in HD like they should be and add LHN. I would drop my other satellite provider in a heartbeat and be back with Dish!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts