Will dish not have the Disney channels come September?

I actually appreciate Disney being in SD....my son has me recording tons of stuff (he doesn't care about SD vs. HD yet...he's 3), and I'm glad it's not taking up my whole hard drive!! :D

Even if it were in HD there would still be the SD channels to record from.

Since Disney went SD only on Dish two years ago I barely watch it anymore. I get many of the shows and movies on Netflix in HD.

Same here. I never realized that I didn't really watch the DISNEY channels that much till they went all SD on DISH. After that I really haven't missed them at all. So I really don't care if they come back in HD ,especially if they decide to charge for both sd and hd versions and make my bill go up even higher.

Same here. I never realized that I didn't really watch the DISNEY channels that much till they went all SD on DISH. After that I really haven't missed them at all. So I really don't care if they come back in HD ,especially if they decide to charge for both sd and hd versions and make my bill go up even higher.

My son is 4 and he likes a few shows on the Disney channels. I prefer HD but when it comes to cartoons I don't care. There are so many other cartoon channels available and with a DVR it doesn't matter when they are on. Over half of my DVR is just cartoons for my son so he can watch what he wants when he wants to.

Having sports in HD is MUCH more important.

if some of the members want to discuss this that's fine. if you and I don't like it we can always ignore the thread. i do it all the time if the topic doesn't interest me. :)

As most of us do. Some people just need to be heard I suppose.

The most surprising one for me has been ESPNews. I felt like it was a must have but haven't watched it except for in instances when an event ran over. ESPNU, on the other hand...

The most surprising one for me has been ESPNews. I felt like it was a must have but haven't watched it except for in instances when an event ran over. ESPNU, on the other hand...

I agree. I'd much rather have ESPNU in HD. I can't remember the last time I watched ESPNnews since SportCenter is on ESPN so much. Some shows do not matter to me if they are in HD or SD but Sports and Movies are a MUST for me.

I agree with you completely. But I just found out that ESPN picked up our opening football game - to be televised on - WHAT??? - ESPNews!!!

Doohhhhh!

I agree. I'd much rather have ESPNU in HD. I can't remember the last time I watched ESPNnews since SportCenter is on ESPN so much. Some shows do not matter to me if they are in HD or SD but Sports and Movies are a MUST for me.

Put me down as not a fan of News, but I also didnt like watching a few games in SD on "U" last year either!

Disney is not as invested in O&O ABC stations as other networks are. ABC owns 8 stations. Yes the largest markets (NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, etc).

CBS has 16 CBSs, NBC has 10, FOX has 18.

Autohop probably has the least effect on Disney given the huge amount of money they get from Dish for the cable channels.

In the case of the three nets you've mentioned, they have more than one O&O in some markets, the investment into additional markets is somewhat less.

I don't know all the details but,I don't see how a contract with disney/espn would involve local abc stations.As mentioned there are only a handful of disney owned abc affiliates.Autohop doesn't work on espn or disney channels.Dish also won a judgement against ESPN over the most favored nation clause,albeit a very minor win,I still think that it would factor into new contract negotiations.Will our rates rise?I'm sure they will,but I don't believe it would be something appalling.We'll just have to wait and see.

It is a common practice for media companies to use carriage rights to leverage an MVPD to also buy carriage rights to other TV channels that media company own, even it is is a broadcast station. It is up to the MVPD to decide if it is worth it or not. Charlie E., just after concluding negotiations some years ago, eluded to the fact that the reason Dish, FINALLY, agreed to carry Fox Sports West 2 (since renamed PRIME) was because it was part of the negotiation to carriage rights to OTA Fox, KTTV, Los Angeles as part of the LIL that were set to expire. He said it was a LOT of money, but it was clear that Dish thought it was worth not losing the Fox local. So, essentially, FOX said to Dish, "You want to renew the rights to carry our O&O in Los Angeles, then we want to you to also take Fox Sports West 2, that you've so far refused to carry." In effect, Fox tied the two channels, one pay tv; the other an O&0, together as part of one negotiation. A Media company's broadcast holdings can play a part in the pay channel holdings and vice-verse. It's called "leverage," and it is done all the time.

Last edited:
I have another more accurate word for it. Not leverage, but extortion. Leverage is using a channel's popularity to demand higher rates. Extortion is using one channel's popularity to demand carriage of a much less desirable and unrelated channel.

In the case of the three nets you've mentioned, they have more than one O&O in some markets, the investment into additional markets is somewhat less.

True, but I was only counting the big 4, I do not think that Dish would care if for example CBS wanted to withhold MyTV in markets from Dish.

If Dish lost all Disney programming, that would probably be the end of Dish for us. Reading through the last 13 pages, I was thinking about how simple things were when I was a kid when we only got 5 or 6 channels. The difference was that local sports were on free tv (I grew up in the Chicago area). Even when we moved to NE Indiana, we could watch Detroit Tigers and Cubs baseball as well as Colts, Bears, and Lions football games. Now if the Tigers are playing on ESPN it is blacked out because some local station in Detroit - 150 miles away - may be showing it.

I do appreciate our CBS affiliate showing some Cubs and White Sox games on their Antenna TV sub channel. I'd much rather watch live baseball - even in standard def - over reruns of Maude. If the local over-the-air channels would put something other than old Law & Order episodes or infomercials on their sub channels, it would be easy to leave Dish. With the digital conversion, we went from five channels (CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, and Fox) to 13 (15.1 CBS, 15.2 Antenna TV, 15.3 local weather, 21.1 ABC, 21.2 CW, 21.3 another local weather, 33.1 NBC, 33.2 MyTV, 39.1 PBS, 39.1 PBS Kids, 39.3 Create, 39.4 ??, and 55.1 Fox). I have been to some cities where they have had more subchannels. In my ideal world, I would put sports on some of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)