Will EchoStar Carry Al-Jazeera HD?

It would be interesting to actually be able to check out Al-Jazeera rather than taking the goverment and other organizations word that they are biased. At least then we'd be able to make our own decision based on primary evidence.
You can always watch CNN. They run videos and stories from the enemy's perspective like our GI's getting sniped.

I almost certainly will cancel if they add Al Jazeera English. It is bad enough that they carry the Arabic version. Adding the English version will do nothing but feed homegrown terrorists which, no doubt, is the plan!

You can always watch CNN. They run videos and stories from the enemy's perspective like our GI's getting sniped.

ROFLMAO, CNN as foreign news source? :D

I almost certainly will cancel if they add Al Jazeera English. It is bad enough that they carry the Arabic version. Adding the English version will do nothing but feed homegrown terrorists which, no doubt, is the plan!

Plain ol' stupid xenophobic reaction - reminds me to the 50s when McCarthy ran amok...

Euronews is uplinked on Channel 900 and 901, hopefully we see it soon. :)

I have been watching BBC World on FTA and its not as good as I thought it was going to be.

Euronews - which I watch on my FTA set - is great as a European news source, I watch lot less Deutsche Welle and Beeb since I watch it.

However as news from the Arabic world is not much better than the totally useless, worthless US media, though at least informed and much less biased.

It would be interesting to actually be able to check out Al-Jazeera rather than taking the goverment and other organizations word that they are biased. At least then we'd be able to make our own decision based on primary evidence.

Exactly my point.:cool: :up

Too bad apparently not too many people grasped the idea...

I have no problem at all with Al Jeezra being on Dish Network, but I do think that a HD version is a little overboard, as when I have seen the regular channel on FTA Satellite there was nothing there worth seeing in SD much the less HD.

How do you mean? I don't measure what's "worth the HD" and what's not but the fact that I have HDTV tells me I want everything in HD, so it will less look like sh*t on my screen. :)

Now when I say that let me Clarify, that by "nothing worth seeing" I mean the sets were nothing special for the newscasts, nor was there any kind of artsy stuff shown which would look better in HD, although I must admit Al Jezeeras graphics are top notch.

And be honest: most of their journos are also pretty high quality folks - it's not an accident most of the crazy Muslim dictators like Saudis etc doesn't really like them... ;)

I just think that the HD verison would not look much better then the SD version.

But who knows this channel could be like Discovery HD and show HD programming which is much different then its lineup on its SD channel.

I was about to say this...

I'm impressed. 3 pages of replies and not one ranting yet about HD lite concerns.

AJ in any form would be very interesting. Uncensored and direct.
As Ceaser said, "know thy enemy"

You must be joking! I can probably count on one hand how many people will watch this biased, total waste of bandwith, channel! Hell, why add another useless channel when we have so many now. :confused:

You must be joking! I can probably count on one hand how many people will watch this biased, total waste of bandwith, channel!

Unless you have fingers in the millions range on one hand, I doubt it...

Do you know A-J by the way? Have you ever seen it?
I bet most people here never seen a second of it, don't know sh*t about it - and yet everybody so quick to declare it useless, a waste of bandwidth... very open minded, truly principled opinions, huh?:rolleyes:

Hell, why add another useless channel when we have so many now. :confused:

How about leaving it to the customer to decide which one he wants to see...?

Ok....

I have stood up for this channel, but I kind of have to agree, I would rather see INHD or SCI Fi HD before I saw Al Jazeera HD.

That said though, if we got those AND this, I would have no probem with it. It is a news channel with a Middle Eastern perspective, just like the BBC is a news channel with a European perspective, and Fox, CNN, MSNBC are news channels with U.S. perspectives.

They are no more terrorists than any of these other channels.

Ok....

I have stood up for this channel, but I kind of have to agree, I would rather see INHD or SCI Fi HD before I saw Al Jazeera HD.

That said though, if we got those AND this, I would have no probem with it. It is a news channel with a Middle Eastern perspective, just like the BBC is a news channel with a European perspective, and Fox, CNN, MSNBC are news channels with U.S. perspectives.

They are no more terrorists than any of these other channels.

Well said.

Its funny that some AJ staffs has been arrested for terrrorist activities and being an Al Qaeda member and AJ is the only ones who get first hand propaganda tapes from Al Qeada. They sure love their Al Qeada tapes.

Its funny that some AJ staffs has been arrested for terrrorist activities and being an Al Qaeda member and AJ is the only ones who get first hand propaganda tapes from Al Qeada. They sure love their Al Qeada tapes.

That's why they are changing the name to TNN. They figure rednecks will tune in thinking they are watching The Nashville Network but it's really...The Terrorist News Network. When they're not reporting on the news, they're making it. Please either link to news or stop your spews. Your post should probably be deleted as it is just flame bait.

Last edited:

As E* is already broadcasting A-J into this country, wouldn't you like to know what they are saying? Or are you more comfortable with having only those who know Arabic being able to understand?

I have no problem with A-J in SD & English. I just don't see much reason to waste HD bandwidth on such a lowly rated channel.

I mean if a shopping channels goes HD, is E* going to carry it?

I would like to see a real HD news channel as opposed to the garbage HDNews we get now. Watching 90 seconds from the Keokuk Pie Bake-Off is compelling the first 6 times but after that it gets old. The World Report on HdNET is good and really strives to present as many sides of an issue as possible. Unfortunately I find that the World Report often trades breadth for depth which should be it's biggest strength.

Here's one fact for this discussion. More Americans trust Fox News (closely followed by CNN) than any other source. However according to the study the percent of Americans who say Fox is their most trusted source is only 11%. Most other countries have one source which over 40% of their populations trust the most. News in America is fractured just as our opinions are. If you are looking to expand into a news market America has to look like a great place to be.

http://www.globescan.com/news_archives/bbcreut_country.html