will hdtv with atsc tuner still work for analog???

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi... I just purchased a new, Samsung hdtv for my folks to replace one of their old analog sets. I also bought a Terk UHF/VHF antenna to pick signals out of the air (they live in the Kansas City area)... I bought this in anticipation of the analog to digital switchover... Now that that's been delayed it dawned on me that I never really thought much about whether or not this tv can be used between now and next June when the broadcasts truly switch to digital... It appears this new tv ONLY has an ATSC tuner... At least I can't find any reference of an NTSC tuner... But I've read a couple places where even ATSC tuners can decode NTSC info and display it ok...

Bottom line is will this new tv (assumed to only have an ATSC tuner) be able to receive signals over the air between now and next June when the switchover actually occurs???

Any help would be much appreciated...

thanks... bob..

Every full power station in the USA has been broadcasting in digital for two years. You have no need of an analog tuner.

Simple answer..............YES.

Even after the Full transition, there will be low powered analog stations.

There will be analog modulators.

The REAL question is if they will still include analog tuners in future TVs. What will happen with TV2 on Dish Network receivers, if there are no longer analog tunurs built into TV receivers?

Since they have the equipment, use it now. Why watch analog when you don't have to.;)

BTW Try out that Terk and make sure it works. They are not the best antennas.

AntennaWeb is a good place to find which way the antenna needs to be pointed and which digital are running.

Simple answer..............YES.

The REAL question is if they will still include analog tuners in future TVs. What will happen with TV2 on Dish Network receivers, if there are no longer analog tunurs built into TV receivers?

Planned obsolescence, A new box will come out with dual HD tuners;)

New sets aren't talking about NTSC tuners, but they are mostly still there. Among other things, cable is supposed to be maintaining either an analog tier or conversion settop boxes for their lifeline customers. As Brian also mentioned, there are low power stations that won't transition.

It isn't time yet to kill NTSC tuners. I'd expect your parent's set will work just fine, and get the new digital stations as a bonus. I think you will be pleasantly surprised on what you receive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)