Will I lose HD for Life?

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
Due to having to cut back expenses I need to change my package,however there are some channels i really like to keep and only package that has this 1 channel I enjoy(BIO<mostly for the Paranormal types shows)is either AT 250 or Dish America GOLD.
If I move over to DA GOLD will I lose my HD for life if I decide at a later date to go back to one of the AT packages.

I am not sure about the HD for Life promotion.

However, Biography Channel is also in the Family package if I recall correctly. The Family package is not an HD package; however, you should still be able to get locals in HD if available in your area.

View attachment formattedDish Family Channels.xls

Last I read, Family is $24.99/month with locals. I believe someone posted the Family package list for one of the DIRT.

You should be able to add other a la carte options if wanted such as Encore Movies for $5.00/month (includes Encore West, Encore Action, Encore Drama, Encore Love, Encore Mystery, Encore Westerns, and MoviePlex but does not include Encore East SD or/and HD or/and Encore WAM).

Due to having to cut back expenses I need to change my package,however there are some channels i really like to keep and only package that has this 1 channel I enjoy(BIO<mostly for the Paranormal types shows)is either AT 250 or Dish America GOLD.
If I move over to DA GOLD will I lose my HD for life if I decide at a later date to go back to one of the AT packages.
As long as the account is not disconnected, the Free HD for life will remain active on the account no matter what programming changes are made. You will still be able to get that promotion back when going back to an America's Top Package.

As long as the account is not disconnected, the Free HD for life will remain active on the account no matter what programming changes are made. You will still be able to get that promotion back when going back to an America's Top Package.

Correct if you paid the $99 or reupped for 2 years originally to get free HD for Life.

If you were grandfathered, it will disappear.

Correct if you paid the $99 or reupped for 2 years originally to get free HD for Life.

If you were grandfathered, it will disappear.
There is a tag that has to be on every account to get the Free HD for life. If the tag is on the account, changing to a package that doesn't have an HD add on will not erase the tag and when you switch back to an AT package it will automatically add the HD free for life on to the account again. If anyone has a question if their account is tagged properly, please just PM me your account info and I can verify. Grandfathering just waived the requirements at sign up only.

I wonder why no HGTV in the Family pack?

Not sure...However, it appears to be in the following list of channels in the Welcome Pack for $14.99/month:

130 AMC
203 Bloomberg
175 Boomerang
166 CMT
107 Comedy Central
110 Food Network
185 Hallmark
112 Home & Garden Television (ADDED)
120 History
84 HSN
230 ICTV (ADDED) (just a shopping type channel)
209 MSNBC
161 MTV2
127 Oxygen
137 QVC
228 ShopNBC
139 TBS
183 TLC
179 The Hub (formerly Disc Kids)
128 WE: Women's Entertainment
214 The Weather Channel

The requirements at sign up were pay the $99 HD for life fee or sign a new 2 year contract if you were not already grandfathered by having HD and/or Platinum on your account when the program was rolled out with autopay and paperless, if I recall correctly.

So I read Maryb as saying if you were grandfathered with HD for Life and you drop HD from your account when you re-add HD, if your account was properly tagged, you will once again receive HD for Life without having to pay of re-up your contract.

In Peano's case, he should take Maryb up on her offer to correct it. I have sent a PM to Maryb to check my account, just in case.

Last edited:
I was receiving a 3 month free promotion on the Platinum pack when they started Free HD for Life. After the promotion I dropped the Platinum pack. I am still receiving free HD and never paid the $99 fee. Loopholes are good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts