Will new HR20 have 2 OTA tuners?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
SNIP... from IGN

The HR20 promises to deliver many of the special extras of today's updated DVRs. The device features two DirecTV inputs, two ATSC tuners, one satellite in, an HDMI input, a component input, a composite input, and a digital/coaxial out.

Interestingly, the HR20 also includes not one, but two Ethernet ports - we asked why, and a rep on hand said we would have to wait and see. It also boasts two USB 2.0 ports for future connectivity. The box enables users to record two sources from either DirecTV or ATSC - even at the same time.

That's all good and fine, but when does the HR20 finally come out and how much is it going to cost? DirecTV would not give us a firm date, but it did state that the unit will definitely be available in Q2 2006. "Really Q2, we swear," a spokesperson told us. Meanwhile, we're able to report some fantastic news for early adopters who picked up a DirecTV TiVo HD DVR.

DirecTV reps confirmed to us today that the HR20 will be made available "completely free of charge" to select HD TiVo owners as soon as the former becomes available. By select, the company means owners who live in the PST or MT areas of the United States, as these regions will be the first to make the switch to MPEG-4 broadcasts.

HD TiVo owners who live in other parts of the US can either wait a little longer for the same deal or purchase the HR20 for only $99 smackers. Brand new customers will pay approximately $200 for the device and will get a significant mail-in rebate, according to DirecTV.

Attachments

• ces-01-directv-plus-hd-dvr.jpg
    ces-01-directv-plus-hd-dvr.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 228
  • ces-02-directv-plus-hd-dvr.jpg
    ces-02-directv-plus-hd-dvr.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 221
Can you add a hard drive to this thing? I got 52 hours of HD recording on my HD Tivo so not really ready to give that up. I get all my locals OTA so unless other stuff comes on MPEG4, I am not that motivated to switch. Good to see it finally come out. I might pass on this unit and wait for the cablecard for my Windows Media Center. At least that I can always add more hard drive space anytime I want.

charper1 said:
SNIP... from IGN
HD TiVo owners who live in other parts of the US can either wait a little longer for the same deal or purchase the HR20 for only $99 smackers. Brand new customers will pay approximately $200 for the device and will get a significant mail-in rebate, according to DirecTV.

Now I'm wondering if I made the right decision. I got my H20 a couple of months ago, of course signing up for the two year commitment and getting me "free" rebate. I wanted to get it before they went to the lease program. Doesn't make much sense to me to pay so much money for something and not own it.

Did I make a mistake? Should I have waited for the HR20? Does anyone know if they will offer an upgrade price for replacing my SD Tivo with an HR20?

Did you make a mistake? Won't know til Directv comes out with what the unit will actually cost to lease.

I'm sure they won't have an upgrade special to go from an SD unit though you might be able to some kind of deal out with retention...

Charper1

Thank you for the info. Do you know anything about the new "smaller and lighter" dish ETA? I am concerned about installing the current monster dish required for the MPEG4 locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.