Will PreAmp Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wilma92010

Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Carlsbad, CA 92010
I live >50 miles from LA Stations (Mt Wilson), but it is a straight shot mostly over the ocean. I live in Carlsbad, CA 92010. I do not get any local San Diego channels OTA, even though they are much, much closer. This is probably because of foothills in the way.

When I got DirctTV with HD, I noticed it had an antenna input so I bought a big Yagi style antenna (don't remember the brand or model, but it is looonnnng) and mounted and pointed it to Mt Wilson. I worked and I got over-the-air HD local LA channels. Not 100% reliable, but very serviceable.

I just got rid of DirecTV because they wanted a 24 month commitment to fix my receiver, but I would like to have my over-the-air HD TV back.

My Sony TV is only "HD Ready" so I bought a Winegard Digital HD Receiver RC-1010, but although it senses some channels (and two at 100%), it cannot lock on any one of them and so I don't have any OTA channels.

Will adding a pre-amp improve the signal enough for the Winegard? I am considering a Wiengard AP 4800. Should I buy different kind of antenna? For example, I could use my DirecTV antenna mounting for some bow tie style antennas with built-in pre-amplifiers, but I wonder whether there would be an overall improvement in the signal.

Or, is the Winegard RC-1010 just a POS?

Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Wilma

A preamp may or may not help. They are intended to make up for signal losses in your cabling.

I live in temecula, and I have NO problem receiving LA stations without a preamp.

I used to use a Winegard HD-9095.... but then upgraded to a HD-8200 for the digitial conversion. You need to know that ABC and FOX will both be returning to their VHF stations in June.

That being said, I did need a preamp once I started splitting my antenna signal to mulitiple receivers and tvs.

Since you are 70-100 miles out.. you need to get the largest antenna you can... and get it as high up in the air as you can.

I currently receive the following signals on my Dish 622 receiver
2-CBS 100
4-NBC 100
7-ABC 75-85
11-FOX 75-85

I never have any drops or any problems with reception

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)