Will replacing a faulty HR-21 or adding MRV extend my contract?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

seanmcgpa

Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
My 2 year contract is up in a month. While I do like Directv, I probably will be moving in a year and may not be able to continue with Directv, so I'd like to stay on a month-to-month contract.

One of my HR21s has exhibited signs of a dying hard drive, and sure enough I am finding SMART errors when doing the diagnostic hard drive scan.

If I ask Directv to replace this HR-21, will this extend my contract?

Also, will adding MRV extend my contract? I was in the beta program, and had ethernet networking so I don't need the "Deca install".

Adding MRV will not extend the contract as long as they don't replace any of your receivers.

Replacing the bad receiver should not extend your contract if you have the protection plan. If you don't have the protection plan you will have a new 2 yer contract.

I was of the impression that having a defective receiver replaced didnt extend your contract, whether you have the PP or not. I thought the difference was that the PP receiver would ship for free while without the PP you have to pay $20 shipping, and the PP also covers the dish/lnb/wiring/dish aiming/deca gear/etc.

My 2 year contract is up in a month. While I do like Directv, I probably will be moving in a year and may not be able to continue with Directv, so I'd like to stay on a month-to-month contract.

One of my HR21s has exhibited signs of a dying hard drive, and sure enough I am finding SMART errors when doing the diagnostic hard drive scan.

If I ask Directv to replace this HR-21, will this extend my contract?

Also, will adding MRV extend my contract? I was in the beta program, and had ethernet networking so I don't need the "Deca install".

Adding MRV will not extend the contract as long as they don't replace any of your receivers.

Replacing the bad receiver should not extend your contract if you have the protection plan. If you don't have the protection plan you will have a new 2 yer contract.

So, if your starting to have problems , call and turn on the PP , this way you know for sure regardless.

Then turn it off after your done.

Replacing a bad leased receiver NEVER (correctly) extends a commitment. The PP has nothing to do with it.

I've heard they'll be very persistant about making you add DECA before they'll turn on MRV. Be prepared for a long phone call if you want MRV, but don't want DECA installed.

Instead of calling, I simply emailed with cfb's instructions - they emailed back in 10 minutes and now I have MRV, no DECA and no drama.

Replacing a receiver does not add commitment if the receiver is LEASED.

If they replace an OWNED receiver, the new one is LEASED and has a commitment - unless you have the protection plan.

Any leased equipmnet DirecTV has responsibility to ensure it works, and they only charge $19.95 shipping to send a replacement.

Replacing a receiver does not add commitment if the receiver is LEASED.

If they replace an OWNED receiver, the new one is LEASED and has a commitment - unless you have the protection plan.

Any leased equipmnet DirecTV has responsibility to ensure it works, and they only charge $19.95 shipping to send a replacement.

Right on both counts, Jason. If you ask nicely, they will sometimes waive the shipping fee even if you don't have the pp.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts