Will RF remote still controll TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dand47

Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Southeast Missouri
I have read in another thread that the R15 DVR will only respond to RF when set up for an RF remote. Will Directv's RF remote control both the DVR with the RF signal and the TV with the IR signal when it is set to RF?

As for range, will it control the DVR from one level directly above (pass through one wooden floor) and from about 40 feet away on same level passing through three drywall walls? The DVR sets on an open entertainment center.

in my set up, yes and yes. My HR20 is controlled by an RF-set remote AND the remote controls my Vizio 50 in. plasma. The DVR is also controlled by another remote (obviously set to RF) from our basement workout room.

Multiple RF remotes for single DVR

What you cannot do is have multiple RF remotes set to use on the same DVR. My new HR23-700 HDDVR was configured for RF. I ordered an additional remote to promote marital concorde. Three calls to DIRECTV and three remotes later, one of the friendly customer reps realized that you have to configure for IR if you plan to use multiple remotes on the same DVR. Be warned.

What you cannot do is have multiple RF remotes set to use on the same DVR. My new HR23-700 HDDVR was configured for RF. I ordered an additional remote to promote marital concorde. Three calls to DIRECTV and three remotes later, one of the friendly customer reps realized that you have to configure for IR if you plan to use multiple remotes on the same DVR. Be warned.

Oops! Did not see your post until my last was submitted. I got back on Amazon and canceled the three remotes. Will try to confirm with Directv tomorrow if your experience is same for R15. But then I will be out of luck when or if I ever spring for the HD unit so may have to fall back to the "Next Generation Remote Extender".

Sorry but you're wrong on this. You can have infinite # of RF remotes controlling the same receiver.

Once the receiver and one of the Rf remotes are in RF mode, leave them alone just do the following on the second or third or fourth RF remote:

1. dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP key
7. enter the last 6 digts of the receiver ID #(RID), found on a sticker in the access card compartment
8.. press SELECT

Oops! Did not see your post until my last was submitted. I got back on Amazon and canceled the three remotes. Will try to confirm with Directv tomorrow if your experience is same for R15. But then I will be out of luck when or if I ever spring for the HD unit so may have to fall back to the "Next Generation Remote Extender".

Yes the above will work on the R15 as well. The R15/R16 are very different from other RF remote controllable directv receivers, in that they can be set up to accept both IR & RF at the same time. Where the rest its RF or IR, and not both.

First of all, do not turn on the RF through the menu, leave it set to IR mode. Just attach the RF antenna to the back of the r15 receiver, and use the above steps to program the RF remote. Your orignal IR remote should work, and now the RF remote too.

If you already turned on the RF through the menu, you will have to put it back into IR mode, then do reset of the receiver by pressing the red buttton in the access card compartment. It will now be in a state like it was never put into RF mode before. And now do the what I wrote in the last paragraph.

I tried this with two RC64R remotes. I could not get it to work. I got the one in RF which works fine, but the other remote will not work at all. Any suggestions?

Sorry but you're wrong on this. You can have infinite # of RF remotes controlling the same receiver.

Once the receiver and one of the Rf remotes are in RF mode, leave them alone just do the following on the second or third or fourth RF remote:

1. dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP key
7. enter the last 6 digts of the receiver ID #(RID), found on a sticker in the access card compartment
8.. press SELECT

Totally concur... works on mine.:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)