Will Satellite Radio be around in 5 yrs?

In the next 5-15 years Satellite radio will become more and more popular as the older cars are replaced with newer cars that have Satellite Radio Standard!

Its simply a matter of time before its hard to find a car with a factory radio that does not support satellite.

Its like FM Radio, Air Conditioning and Power windows that have pretty much become standard equipment on todays new cars!

I consider myself a avid radio fan, and my radio is ALWAYS on while driving. Be it talk radio, music or sportscasts, I am always listening to something. I just bought my first car with XM radio pre-installed. 2 years ago I would definately would have subscribed to the service. However the car also has an Aux jack. The first week I took a list of channels with me in the car and checked out all the stations, preset the ones I thought I would like the most.

I have had the car a month now, sorry XM, for me, its no comparison to my Ipod. XM will NOT be purchased after the trial period.

I still feel that XM has deeper playlists while Sirius plays the same depth you can find on most radio stations (specialty formats like Heavy Metal excluded). I also have both services.

The problem is that I prefer the XM playlists, so I'm a little worried about what they will look like post-merger....

Interesting I felt the opposite, I miss Sirius as it played variety and I rarely heard repeats, XM I feel like they are playing their playlist on a short loop.

I consider myself a avid radio fan, and my radio is ALWAYS on while driving. Be it talk radio, music or sportscasts, I am always listening to something. I just bought my first car with XM radio pre-installed. 2 years ago I would definately would have subscribed to the service. However the car also has an Aux jack. The first week I took a list of channels with me in the car and checked out all the stations, preset the ones I thought I would like the most.

I have had the car a month now, sorry XM, for me, its no comparison to my Ipod. XM will NOT be purchased after the trial period.

I listen to a lot of talk radio, and it's hard to beat the huge amount of radio hosts available on satellite radio.

Don't forget NASCAR. How many people actually LISTEN to a radio broadcast of guys driving cars around a track? Seems to me like it is a visual activity, much more so than a sport like football.
I'm not a NASCAR fan but I do have Sirius and browse around the siriusbackstage forums. You would be surprised. There is an entire forum dedicated to NASCAR.

I have three XM radios that I pay $80 every three months for. I love XM, and I do see satellite radio being around for the next 5 years and much longer. whether or not the merger happens, I don't think will hurt either company either way. If it does happen it will be good. I think they will lose a good chunk of subscriptions if they sacrifice some channels that customers listen to. Particularly the "nitch" channels. Let's be honest, it is hard to find the old time radio programs, and the 40's big band music on terrestrial radio. If they abolish channels such as those and strictly compete with terrestrial radio, then they will fail. The trick is to try and please as many people as possible with trying to keep the prices as low as they are. I know I will not pay $15 a month for a subscription until five years from now, when inflation makes my $12 I have been paying for four years already worth $15.

If the merger does not happen, then I see both companies cleaning house and getting new CEO's, and top execs, mainly because the government would at that point be forcing them to be more competitive. I don't see either company doing that on the current track they are on now. Stern did not bring in the masses as predicted, and XM proved that not everything Oprah does turns to gold. If they are to be more profitable as two satellite radio companies, they need to get more innovative with marketing, smarter with money, and educate consumers better on why Satellite radio is worth paying $12 a month for, rather than enticing them with programming.

Satellite TV did not really take off until about five years ago. It has been around since the 80's for consumers. I think the big reason why it took so long was education, and innovation. Look at how many people even today still believe that with any little drop of rain, they will lose their Signal with satellite. We all know that is not true. But the consumers had to be educated as to why satellite TV was better than cable for it to take off. I think it is the same with satellite radio.

I personally see the government not allowing this merger to happen, and we will still see two satellite radio company's. I think it is better that way. I also think that if there are two satellite radio companies, we will eventually see AM radio disappear. Just like this year we are seeing television no longer broadcasting on analog waves, AM radio will be forced off the air due to low demand and the need to emergency responders to have more freedom to use those waves.

One big variable for AM radio and satellite radio is Rush Limbaugh. He has a far more listening audience than any talk radio host at roughly 24 million a week. If he ever were to sign up with a satellite radio company, or both of them for that matter, the subscriptions would sky rocket, and AM radio would be at the beginning of the end of its life.

Don't forget NASCAR. How many people actually LISTEN to a radio broadcast of guys driving cars around a track? Seems to me like it is a visual activity, much more so than a sport like football.

You would be VERY suprised how many folks get Sirius JUST for the NASCAR radio. Most of the time it's more of an ESPN radio type format and not replaying the races 24-7. Also a lot of people like the fact that you can listen into the Scanners of some of the drivers during the races. I'm going to become another Sirius subscriber before the Daytona 500 just because of the NASCAR radio channel.

I hope it will be around for a long time. I just subscribed to Sirius and truly Love It!!! I haven't listened to FM/AM since Christmas. Variety is key for both XM and Sirius. Hopefully they won't fall into the same trap FM radio did of replaying the same songs over and over to appease the record companies.

I think that Clear Channel & the NAB have done a great job stalling the growth of satellite radio by lobbying the pants off of the feds. By prolonging this decision, each provider has stopped selling against the other, have held back changes and huge marketing plans, and pretty much been stuck in limbo for over a year.

This really sucks, because just like DTV/Dish would have been great for SatTV subscribers, this merger would pool the cash, make all new cars standard for SatRadio, and allow the new merged company to grow and expand.

This, of course, would mean less revenue for Clear Channel and the other broadcasting moguls.

I think that Clear Channel & the NAB have done a great job stalling the growth of satellite radio by lobbying the pants off of the feds. By prolonging this decision, each provider has stopped selling against the other, have held back changes and huge marketing plans, and pretty much been stuck in limbo for over a year.

This really sucks, because just like DTV/Dish would have been great for SatTV subscribers, this merger would pool the cash, make all new cars standard for SatRadio, and allow the new merged company to grow and expand.

This, of course, would mean less revenue for Clear Channel and the other broadcasting moguls.

How do you figure that a DTV/Dish satellite monopoly would be good for consumers? When are monopolies EVER good for consumers?

Actually, I think Stern brought in more subscribers than expected. Didn't they pay him the maximum bonus listed in his contract?

Actually, I think Stern brought in more subscribers than expected. Didn't they pay him the maximum bonus listed in his contract?

I thought he fell short of expectations. He got his minimum bonus, but if he didn't he would have walked and that would have been bad news for sirius. As soon as he got his bonus he unloaded most of his stock sirisu gave him at the beginning.

HD radio is a disaster. Early receivers were not well made- something about low sensitivity, IIRC. HD (which means "Hybrid Digital" BTW, not High Def) in the AM band has caused interference. I believe we are still negotiating with Canada and Mexico over the interference this has caused. HD radio is not pushed much anymore.

I suspect that to save face, rather than withdraw it from the U.S. market, it will just be allowed to die in obscurity. Then in 10 or 20 years, we might adopt a system used elsewhere in the world, or come up with something better. OK, maybe 30 or 40 years.

Personally, I think we should set aside a small portion (digital taking up far less spectrum for the same result) of the frequency band currently used by FM radio, and assign slots. One slot per station today. Let 'em bid on more slots if they want. Each slot to be called D1, D2, etc or some such. No frequencies to be referred to. Require all radios sold after X date to support reception in this mode. And then after 10 years, begin actual broadcasts. Phase out the old stations, sell off the frequencies.

I think you're writing off HD Radio too quickly. I know more HD stations are coming on line in my area, and they are promoting it pretty heavily. The big problem is the receivers are not widely available at attractive prices. And until more companies manufacture HD radios, the technology will not improve and prices will not go down. The big problem HD faces is that is does not have the war chest behind it that Satellite Radio has. I'm sure the auto manufacturers get kick-backs ... er, I mean "promotional fees" for putting either Sirrius or XM receivers in their cars. But it appears no one is paying them to add HD technology. I would like to have an HD factory radio on my next car - but right now I don't know of any automaker that's offering one.

I always said that I would not pay for sat radio. I just got sick and tired of all the commercials and then paid for the lifetime membership fee for Sirius. I have never looked back because I love it. Not to mention the saving feature on my radio....I am talking about saving your fav band or song and rewinding the music if you want. I love it!!! I don't think it is going anywhere.

How do you figure that a DTV/Dish satellite monopoly would be good for consumers? When are monopolies EVER good for consumers?

Well, it would have been good for me, anyway. I could get a satellite service with more HD channels, maybe even get my locals in HD, get the superstations from Dish, have YES available, get the Sunday Ticket, and be able to use a Dish DVR (I hate TIVO) to name a few things. Best of both worlds from one provider.

That would have been sweet. However, it would have scared the CRAP out of the cable providers - those who have a TRUE monopoly. I mean, if I had a choice of cable companies, I would not use the one I am stuck with.

Well, it would have been good for me, anyway. I could get a satellite service with more HD channels, maybe even get my locals in HD, get the superstations from Dish, have YES available, get the Sunday Ticket, and be able to use a Dish DVR (I hate TIVO) to name a few things. Best of both worlds from one provider.

That would have been sweet. However, it would have scared the CRAP out of the cable providers - those who have a TRUE monopoly. I mean, if I had a choice of cable companies, I would not use the one I am stuck with.

Problem is, history has shown us that we wouldn't get the good stuff from each. Te combined company would have likely gone with that horrible Tivo crap, and raised prices through the roof. After all, mergers are expensive. Plus, standardizing all that hardware. Cable would have looked cheap.

Neither service has turned a profit. no one knows whether either one will be around in 5 years. but i suspect that one service will survive. It may be a merged entity or one may die but I just don't see a way for them both to reach profitability.

It'll stay, thought personnally there is something about ti that carries the similiar problem that cable tv has, a hell of a lot of channels and nothing on. I'm generally a heavy metal guy, so it is either octane or Hard attack, but both have their moments of pure disapointment. Daughtery? Daughtery on Octane? Seriously? (no pun intended) I was pissed off. Setting grudges aside, kid rock was still voted number one... Come on there is now way that stringy haired jack-a$$ is number 1 in anything other than being a phoney.

Then of course, what am I to expect. It is radio after all, regardless of its origin of broadcast it still carries that loathsome trait of playing crap, sometimes all day. Crap being relative to the listener.